Topic: Spray on truck bedliners

Anyone done their own?
If so what did you use and how did it turn out?

The Harbour Freight product seems to have mostly good reviews
http://www.harborfreight.com/16-12-oz-i … 60783.html
This looks a little more spendy but is it any better?
http://www.tcpglobal.com/UPO-0820V-GUN. … q-6YLIrJaQ

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Re: Spray on truck bedliners

I just happened to watch this recently...

https://youtu.be/4rOdmz8acgo?t=8m16s

... from Eastwood about using bed liner as an undercoat on a Camero.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

I have not done it, but had a co-worker do it.  My only suggestion is make sure you are wearing gloves when you do it.  It took over two weeks to get it off his hands, and he was an auto mechanic.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

I used Herculiner roll on bed liner on my 2002 Dodge Ram when I bought it.  On top of that I put a flat rubber bed mat, so the floor of the bed is coated then covered with the bed mat, and the sides of the bed are just coated.

14 years later it's holding up extremely well.

bs

Doesn't compare in any measurable way with a hot spray product like LineX. And the roll-ons are much more particular about surface prep than spray-ins. If you time it right you can get LineX done for around $400, vs ~175 for Herculiner/etc plus xylene and other chemicals for stripping and surface prep.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

ronman wrote:

Doesn't compare in any measurable way with a hot spray product like LineX. And the roll-ons are much more particular about surface prep than spray-ins. If you time it right you can get LineX done for around $400, vs ~175 for Herculiner/etc plus xylene and other chemicals for stripping and surface prep.

Everywhere near me wants almost $900 for Line-X/Rhinoliner/Etc.  If my truck was new sure, but man thats a big chunk of change.....

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

I'll go with the roll-on, overspray scares me!

Thanks for the tips!

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Brett85p wrote:

I'll go with the roll-on, overspray scares me!

Thanks for the tips!

Let me know you experiences.  I plan to do the same once the weather turns.  The herculiner kit was my plan.  In the interim I am just putting in a bed mat that I would want anyway.

ronman wrote:

Not sure where you got the $175 quote for the Herculiner, I saw it at Home Depot for $75 a week or so ago.  My bed was new when I applied it, so it didn't require much in the way of cleaning.  I do remember having to rough it up a little bit with sand paper.

bs

bshorey wrote:

Not sure where you got the $175 quote for the Herculiner, I saw it at Home Depot for $75 a week or so ago.  My bed was new when I applied it, so it didn't require much in the way of cleaning.  I do remember having to rough it up a little bit with sand paper.

bs

I think he was implying that start to finish all the products need plus the herculiner were $175.  I consider that a bit high as well but if he was using doing an older bed with lots of residue or compromised paint, I could see $125-150.

I rollered the bottoms of my tool box drawers with Herculiner and haven't been impressed with how it holds up. It's still soft enough that a heavy tool left in place will leave an indentation. It's lifted in a couple minor spots. I don't think it sees as heavy a duty as a truck bed would see yet it's a little worn looking.

But! It was brand new steel. I cleaned it with mineral spirits and then rollered on Rustoleum primer (the red stuff) then the Herculiner. I might not have done enough prep. Standard "I'm probably an idiot and likely did it wrong" disclaimer stuff.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

My truck came with a plastic drop in bedliner which I hate, so the plan was to do Herculiner.  I bought the kit (for $99) and an extra quart of it for like $40 I think because my truck has an 8 foot bed so it recommends the extra amount to get good coverage.  Then after spending this money I started reading.

The main issue (and why this stuff sits in its box in the basement) is that it has poor UV protection, not only that Herculiner offered a UV additive but discontinued it.  Why they did that I don't know because if you're someone like me who doesn't have a bed cover (why bother it will spend more time off than on) it sits in the sun all the time and eventually turns color and also becomes brittle and peels when you drop stuff on it.  Most guys said you need to re-apply every year or so.  To me at that point its useless, and if I have to spend $130 and 4 hours or so every year to refresh it, its more of a pain than its worth.  I found that most good reviews of it are from folks that aren't using trucks like this group would.

Upol Raptor

http://www.tcpglobal.com/UPO-0820V-GUN. … sdRCpQ8KrU

I did the interior of my Wrangler TJ that never has a top or doors on unless it is in storage. It goes on easy with the included gun, is UV resistant, tough as nails. I had previously done a roll on for a pickup bed and the Raptor blows that method out of the water. Soo Soooo much better. Been on for about 4 years and still looks new.

Just tape off for overspray. It goes on with a much thicker consistency than paint so the overspray doesn't "drift" and get on the car next to you. It is more of a spatter application than a mist. I felt like I put it on really thick for my Jeep floor and only used 3 of the four bottles. I saved the last one and did my bumpers the next summer. No peeling from anywhere. Research reviews of it through Google. I'm sure you will find good reviews.

dculberson wrote:

I rollered the bottoms of my tool box drawers with Herculiner and haven't been impressed with how it holds up. It's still soft enough that a heavy tool left in place will leave an indentation. It's lifted in a couple minor spots. I don't think it sees as heavy a duty as a truck bed would see yet it's a little worn looking.

But! It was brand new steel. I cleaned it with mineral spirits and then rollered on Rustoleum primer (the red stuff) then the Herculiner. I might not have done enough prep. Standard "I'm probably an idiot and likely did it wrong" disclaimer stuff.

I don't recall using primer.  Mineral spirits to clean, and a light sanding so the liner would adhere.

bs

15 (edited by Drdanteiii 2016-02-19 12:21 PM)

racinrob wrote:

I have not done it, but had a co-worker do it.  My only suggestion is make sure you are wearing gloves when you do it.  It took over two weeks to get it off his hands, and he was an auto mechanic.

Hootus thread:  http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/sho … hp?t=18595

legendary in the off-road world.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

Wloch248 wrote:

Upol Raptor

http://www.tcpglobal.com/UPO-0820V-GUN. … sdRCpQ8KrU

I did the interior of my Wrangler TJ that never has a top or doors on unless it is in storage. It goes on easy with the included gun, is UV resistant, tough as nails. I had previously done a roll on for a pickup bed and the Raptor blows that method out of the water. Soo Soooo much better. Been on for about 4 years and still looks new.

Just tape off for overspray. It goes on with a much thicker consistency than paint so the overspray doesn't "drift" and get on the car next to you. It is more of a spatter application than a mist. I felt like I put it on really thick for my Jeep floor and only used 3 of the four bottles. I saved the last one and did my bumpers the next summer. No peeling from anywhere. Research reviews of it through Google. I'm sure you will find good reviews.

That looks great may do that myself and sell the Herculiner. 

You just do 1 thick ass coat?  It doesn't like drip down from the weight?  Gun hooks to compressor, what kind of pressure do you run?

RogueLeader wrote:

You just do 1 thick ass coat?  It doesn't like drip down from the weight?  Gun hooks to compressor, what kind of pressure do you run?

Because it comes with 4 cans you do one coat over as big of an area as you are trying to cover. I think you let it set just a little then do another coat. You add the hardener to the bottle and hook to the gun so you only have a certain working time but it was plenty of time to get it sprayed. I didn't get any drips. I imagine you could but you would have to spray a LOT all in one area.

Hooks up to a regular compressor. I used my little husky dual tank one. Kept up fine. I think I remember having to turn the regulator down a bit maybe?

It seriously exceeded my expectations especially compared to my previous experience with Herculiner. I got it because of the great reviews I was reading on a jeep forum I belong to.

Wloch248 wrote:
RogueLeader wrote:

Because it comes with 4 cans you do one coat over as big of an area as you are trying to cover. I think you let it set just a little then do another coat. You add the hardener to the bottle and hook to the gun so you only have a certain working time but it was plenty of time to get it sprayed. I didn't get any drips. I imagine you could but you would have to spray a LOT all in one area.

Hooks up to a regular compressor. I used my little husky dual tank one. Kept up fine. I think I remember having to turn the regulator down a bit maybe?

It seriously exceeded my expectations especially compared to my previous experience with Herculiner. I got it because of the great reviews I was reading on a jeep forum I belong to.

Awesome thanks, this looks like my next spring project