1 (edited by OnkelUdo 2016-02-24 07:38 AM)

Topic: Snowpocalypse Chicago 2016...or get over yourself its just snow

Granted, I live and work in Chicago's version of Newark, but almost all of NWI cancelled schools today before the first flake fell.  We are expecting blizzard conditions (which has more to do with visibility, than volume of snow) and up to 14-24" in places but...

Come on!  This is not Atlanta.  You have lived here for a while and survived much worse.  This is not Katrina where the absence of early panic created a deadly situation.  It is snow...and not so much that the road crews can't handle it.  We knew it was coming.  It is not a surprise.  Drop the sensationalism, stay at home if you are not comfortable driving in it and let the rest of us enjoy a little bit of the white stuff.

Edit:  All you Texans and Cajuns up here in your Brah Dowsers (I do work in a refinery)....I would appreciate it if you actually did stay home.  I hate seeing so many 12" lift kits with the wrong side facing up.

Re: Snowpocalypse Chicago 2016...or get over yourself its just snow

Amen brother! My wife asked me this morning what we're gonna get. I said snow. After all it's February in Chicago. She laughed because she knows I'm right and usually she's the one that hates all the whining about the snow.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

3 (edited by jimbbski 2016-02-24 09:24 AM)

Being retired allows me to just sit at home and watch the snow fly. When I worked I always enjoyed the commute in a perverse sort of way. All those people who drive like their AJ Foyt when it's dry then drive like a 95 year old half blind driver when the snow flies.

I loved passing jacked up 4X4's on the expressway in my Mustang.

4 (edited by billybobster 2016-02-24 09:36 AM)

From a sunny spring day here in NorCal. When what we need is rain, rain, rain, rain. If and when it rains, if it has been more than a week since the last rain, the entire driving population has forgotten how to drive in the rain and crashes into each other.

"Brah Dowsers" - the Internet provides no answer as to what is. What is?

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

from Urban Dictionary

"brodozer

Used to describe the vehicles piloted by desert bros. Usually large white trucks to begin with, they are then trasformed into the epitamy of excess (In the opposite direction of rice rockets) via the addition of enormous lift kits, huge tyres (usually baja claws see haha claws. Eveything chromable is chromed, and everything flamable is flamed (including window tinting) The headlights are often mounted in the front bumper to stay at the leagal height. The trucks tip easily, and don't off-road any better than they ever did. "

It has also taken to mean pretty much any big lifted truck rolling coal with a millennial behind the wheel.  especially if the truck has never seen dirt

6 (edited by OnkelUdo 2016-02-24 09:57 AM)

Firebelly wrote:

from Urban Dictionary

"brodozer

Used to describe the vehicles piloted by desert bros. Usually large white trucks to begin with, they are then trasformed into the epitamy of excess (In the opposite direction of rice rockets) via the addition of enormous lift kits, huge tyres (usually baja claws see haha claws. Eveything chromable is chromed, and everything flamable is flamed (including window tinting) The headlights are often mounted in the front bumper to stay at the leagal height. The trucks tip easily, and don't off-road any better than they ever did. "

It has also taken to mean pretty much any big lifted truck rolling coal with a millennial behind the wheel.  especially if the truck has never seen dirt

And the jeep versions is Mall Crawler.  Equally an inept a job of body lift, giant tires, giant fender flares, etc...normally with original fuel economy differential gearing so they can barely move away from a stop.  Instead of chrome, anything and everything is blacked out.  Also allergic to dirt.

OnkelUdo wrote:

Come on!  This is not Atlanta.

Funny you say not Atlanta.  Most of the people I work directly with are in Atlanta, so I have to act like all snow is minor so I can continue ruthlessly making fun of them when ever they panic over a light dusting.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Ah, the brodozer and Mall Crawler. These classes of Trucks in the order of Shownogomodifia are seen in NorCal in large numbers. Also the mega sized dually 4x4s whose beds have never been graced by actual cargo and whose tires have only touched pavement. Some are seen attempting to navigate the often very narrow streets of SF, providing schadenfreude for many.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

jimbbski wrote:

That said, two weekends ago when we drove halfway to Wisconsin to see a potential tranny donor, we saw a pitiful sight.  There was a new'ish Camero actually trying to negotiate an on ramp with about an inch of fresh powder...with obvious high performance summer tires.  Entertaining in a pathetic sort of way.

OnkelUdo wrote:
jimbbski wrote:

That said, two weekends ago when we drove halfway to Wisconsin to see a potential tranny donor, we saw a pitiful sight.  There was a new'ish Camero actually trying to negotiate an on ramp with about an inch of fresh powder...with obvious high performance summer tires.  Entertaining in a pathetic sort of way.

Most pony cars are helpless in the snow but not mine.
I had some all season tires and 110 lbs of lead in the trunk for traction.
I'm not crazy and avoided deep snow, I mean common it's still a Mustang.
Sometimes I went down the road side ways for a bit until I got up to speed.
But people tended to give me room when they saw me coming so it was all good.

I lived in Atlanta for one winter. When it snowed (about 2" at most) it was the end of the world there. My '65 Impala drove fine, though I had to call up my Minnesota-native parents to ask advice about thawing out frozen door locks.

I went outside to shovel late this afternoon as it seemed to have stopped snowing.  It hadn't but the amount coming down was a fraction of what came down in the morning.
The snow depth varied from a couple of inches to 2 1/2 feet! That was a drift on the south side of my house. The snow was heavy but I got 90% of it with my single stage snow blower.  It doesn't like wet heavy snow but I make it work. It beats a shovel!

billybobster wrote:

Ah, the brodozer and Mall Crawler. These classes of Trucks in the order of Shownogomodifia are seen in NorCal in large numbers. Also the mega sized dually 4x4s whose beds have never been graced by actual cargo and whose tires have only touched pavement. Some are seen attempting to navigate the often very narrow streets of SF, providing schadenfreude for many.

Mild version of the dozer...
http://brodozers.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/projectphoto/Brodozer-02.jpg
Farily representative image of a Mall Crawler...
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k141/imagineink/Forum/mallcrawl3.jpg

jimbbski wrote:

I went outside to shovel late this afternoon as it seemed to have stopped snowing.  It hadn't but the amount coming down was a fraction of what came down in the morning.
The snow depth varied from a couple of inches to 2 1/2 feet! That was a drift on the south side of my house. The snow was heavy but I got 90% of it with my single stage snow blower.  It doesn't like wet heavy snow but I make it work. It beats a shovel!

Just for reference, I live in the western suburbs and we didn't even have anything stick to the streets. About 1/4" to 1/2" on the lawn. I wanted to kick the SOB on the 5:00pm news that was bragging about being in the newsroom since 4am tracking the traffic problems and then saying there was no traffic on the highways. What a bunch of blowhard a$$hats.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

cabinboy wrote:
jimbbski wrote:

Just for reference, I live in the western suburbs and we didn't even have anything stick to the streets. About 1/4" to 1/2" on the lawn. I wanted to kick the SOB on the 5:00pm news that was bragging about being in the newsroom since 4am tracking the traffic problems and then saying there was no traffic on the highways. What a bunch of blowhard a$$hats.

If you only listen to the local TV weather reports you'd think that every chance of snow is going to be like 1967! For those to young or weren't in the Chicago area then that was "the big one"! It shut down the city of Chicago for 2-3 days! I was a kid in grade school at the time.

Now the current storm  left my area  with what I consider a standard winter snowfall,  but in Indiana there spots that are still messed up, roads blocked with abandoned vehicles, etc.