Topic: What's the best self-service junkyard in Los Angeles?

So, a good friend of mine is having his car featured in a "one take" segment on The Smoking Tire, which films in LA in two weeks. This gives us an excuse to take a week-long road trip from Minnesota to California and back! We'll have some time to kill in LA when we're not at the shoot, and one of the things on our to-do list is to visit a pick 'n pull style junkyard there, because a sea of non-rusty California cars sounds like paradise to two dudes who've spent their entire lives working on rusty crap in the midwest. I know the Lemons community is the world's foremost group of pick 'n pull connoisseurs, and thus the perfect forum for this question. So, where should we go? Where should we avoid at all costs?

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

Re: What's the best self-service junkyard in Los Angeles?

I think the Wilmington Pick Your Part (aka LKQ) is pretty good, and the Ecology in Santa Fe Springs is well-stocked as well.

Santa Fe Springs Ecology was my spot for obscure foreign car parts.  Last time I was there they had a 911 and two V12 MBZs.  LKQ bought Ecology.  They are a bit slow in getting the inventory on line but its just starting to show up.  I think the San Diego LKQ/Ecologies are lagging a bit.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

http://autoweek.com/sites/default/files/styles/gen-1200-675/public/img_2239.jpg

The Wilmington PYP/LKQ has an excellent taco truck parked right by the entrance.

Perfect. Looks like an authentic California "down on the junkyard" experience. Thanks!

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

obsolete wrote:

Perfect. Looks like an authentic California "down on the junkyard" experience. Thanks!

That's an upscale taco truck. Table and chairs.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

This taco truck/junkyard combo sounds like heaven. They got any early 944s? Heh.

I just saw an '83 944 in San Jose. Actually, I see 924s and 944s all the time in Colorado, too. Usually I don't bother photographing them, though.

http://autoweek.com/sites/default/files/styles/gen-738-415/public/131019778-3.jpg?itok=zqRjf4UX

Taco trucks at California junkyards mostly range from pretty good to excellent, and the prices are quite low. The clientele at these yards is about 98% Spanish-speaking, and they will not tolerate substandard tacos when they are shopping for junkyard parts. Most of the larger yards have a full-time taco truck that parks in front, all day/every day.

Ah yes, JY taco trucks.  You won't find Taco de Cabeza, Taco de Seso, Taco de Buche or Taco de Lengua on the menu at Taco Bell.  I can't think of a single DIY JY that doesn't have one.  I didn't realize that was unusual to have a taco truck in front of the JY.  LKQ Anaheim has one inside the yard.  Besides the taco truck they often also have vendors selling tools that appear to be the ones that Harbor Freight rejected as not having enough quality.

(FWIW, Cabeza = head, Seso=brain, Buche=pig stomach, Lengua=tongue)

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

Santa Fe Springs Ecology was my spot for obscure foreign car parts.  Last time I was there they had a 911 and two V12 MBZs.  LKQ bought Ecology.  They are a bit slow in getting the inventory on line but its just starting to show up.  I think the San Diego LKQ/Ecologies are lagging a bit.

Thanks for the heads up, actually the Ecology locations  here are still Ecology; I wouldn't have thought to look into it without your post. Two things I'm glad to find out- there is a VIP card program at the Phoenix yards (no kidding) and they once again stock imports at the HUGE one on 27th AV, it hasn't been the same going to the smaller "imports only" one...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Judge Phil wrote:

I just saw an '83 944 in San Jose. Actually, I see 924s and 944s all the time in Colorado, too. Usually I don't bother photographing them, though.

<3

'83 944 is best early 944. Simplest. Best.

Also, THOSE TACOS.

If it's not too late you can also hit the Pick-A-Part yards in Ontario and Monrovia on the way in to L.A.