Re: I just took Ambien and it's doing nothing. AMA.

Perhaps it's a circadian thing?

I found out that if I'm getting 4 hours of sleep a night (young kids/work/racing/whatever), I'll actually wake up feeling more awake than if I get 7 or so.

However, the urge to nap at 3pm is _strong_, and after a week or so of 20 on/4 down it does get. . . fatiguing.

Maybe sometimes the 8 on/4 off cycle clicks in and is hard to shake?

Start taking naps in the afternoon and let us know how that works out! smile

Guildenstern wrote:
ninjacoco wrote:

Clearly, the answer is to install a slide off my apartment's balcony.

I mean, DUH!

One of those cork screw ones!

I think I forgot how to use them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr8DXG9DQpk

Clearly, I need practice.

fleming95 wrote:

Perhaps it's a circadian thing?

I found out that if I'm getting 4 hours of sleep a night (young kids/work/racing/whatever), I'll actually wake up feeling more awake than if I get 7 or so.

However, the urge to nap at 3pm is _strong_, and after a week or so of 20 on/4 down it does get. . . fatiguing.

Maybe sometimes the 8 on/4 off cycle clicks in and is hard to shake?

Start taking naps in the afternoon and let us know how that works out! smile

Ha, I'm trying not to be tired in the afternoon, not the other way around!

I think your creepy toe shoes are interfering with your sleep.

Actually, I thought of something that might help: ear plugs. I started wearing them to be able to sleep in my tent at Lemons races and after realizing I was getting better sleep there than at home, I tried them at home. I can't wear them every night (ears start to hurt) but when I really need a solid night of sleep, they help a ton. Last night was a six and a half hour sleep marathon and I feel great today. Thanks earplugs!

p.s. stupid cat. She woke me up even with the earplugs in. Everyone is shocked that my baby sleeps through the night - she's not the one that always wakes me up. It's the stupid cat.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

80 (edited by ninjacoco 2016-04-04 07:47 PM)

Heh, I went back to the doctor over the no sleep issue. New theory: some anxiety. In place of the Ambien, I got some Xanax. It seems to work okay so far. Ready to be caught up with everything and over this whole "Stef needs meds to sleep" issue.

I tried just having a beer the other day, sans anything else. 'Twas a weekend and I didn't have to do anything the next day. That didn't work and I was up all night anyway, but it tasted good. Hooray beer. I've missed beer.

I have a tear in my eardrum somehow, too, so I'm kind of hesitant to put anything in there. I'll probably wear earplugs around t3h NASCARs next weekend, but it hurts just resting, so if I can leave it alone, I'm gonna leave it alone.

Trippin' whatever kind of balls people take these recreationally for* in 3...2...wait, I still have work left to do. NOOOOOO

*j/k, I'm on a superlow dosage and these kinds of high-powered pills legitimately scare the crap out of me. also, did not take with beer.

You should think about over the ear style hearing protectors for the Nascar race. Ears get pissy when they are healing.

If the Xanax is working it probably more likely is anxiety. Anxiety and depression are common concussion side effects.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

I like these over the ear hearing protectors a lot:

http://www.harborfreight.com/hearing-pr … 97849.html

They're cheap and they fold up nicely to store in a small(ish) area. They're more durable than the more expensive 3M ones I had - the more expensive ones broke after one drop on the concrete.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria

83 (edited by ninjacoco 2016-04-21 11:22 PM)

Guildenstern wrote:

You should think about over the ear style hearing protectors for the Nascar race. Ears get pissy when they are healing.

If the Xanax is working it probably more likely is anxiety. Anxiety and depression are common concussion side effects.

Took some earlier tonight.

Almost 4:00 a.m.

No worksies.

There could be some anxiety and depression going on. I'm worried about when I do go out and hoon the 944 again (end of this month, WOO!), I'll have forgotten what to do with it. It's good that it lives in a cow pasture (read: Harris Hill Road). I've also got a backlog of stuff to work through, and I can't friggin' sleep, so I'm less productive when I should be up and working. (Unless a race is on, apparently. Then somehow I'm just a posting machine. At least that part's back to normal.) Ugh.

My ear's feeling better, though--still a little wacky, but hey. The earplugs did their job, but holy moly, those cars are loud. Even if you're not a huge NASCAR fan, that's an experience, dude. The best sound in the world amplified by a big, banked bowl. I called it "boner fuel" the other day, and that's accurate. Boner fuel.

I just can't get to sleep. ARRGH. I feel bad because I stayed up to grab all the craziness from this weekend, but have just felt bleeeeh all week after that. I blame F1 being at 3 in the morning and WEC starting at 6, TBH. I need to teach the Puffalumps how to write since their eyes are sewn open.

tl;dr--can't sleep. Still.

I guess I need to change my title. I just took Ambien and all it's doing is making me type stupidly and make a bunch of typos. Either that or it's the sleep deprivation.

I'm up anyway. Ask whatever and/or amuse me.

Can't sleep again. Took meds, no dice. Probably going to go back over the same problem, plus my head's been kiiiiiiilling me and I'm not sure what's up there. I had a call-in meeting (always awkward) where I was the only call-in (way worse; my face is blown up huge then) and noticed afterwards that I had super-dark circles under my eyes like I'd been punched in the face, or covered Le Mans or something. Good grief. Sorry, work.

TIL: SLAB videos are AMAZING on Xanax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p … Lc2FknXi8k

OH MAN HOLY CRAP CHROME LOOK AT THAT CAMARO [sic] MORE CARS SPINNERS ELBOWS HIGHLAND MALL! SNICKERS CAR WOW DUDE

Get thee to a gym, girl!  Free weights will be your friend.  S/F....Ken M

echosixmike wrote:

Get thee to a gym, girl!  Free weights will be your friend.  S/F....Ken M

Mmmm. Gym time.

I did decide that puttering the manual-rack 944 around at low speed counts as "arms day," though. ARMS DAY!

Also, I was tired at bedtime for a change (yeah!), fell asleep, and then woke up again. WHAT.

BRAIN, I HATE YOU.

HATE.

WHY.

For an added challenge you could put a fussy 18 month old in the bed with you. Fortunately I had worked my butt off all weekend and was able to sleep well between head butts and nose grabs.

At this point, we're kind of thinking it's more leftover anxiety issues than shaken-brain. There's a lot of loose ends lately that I don't like.

I prefer my life to be neat, tidy, relatively on time with large features, and somewhat nicely planned out (or at least organized into a list). Not, hmm, I haven't been able to get work done in a while and now I have this big pile of leftovers that I must finish before taking on new, cool stuff and ARRGH SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK, PLOW THROUGH IT