26 (edited by the shaolin 2016-04-28 02:05 PM)

Re: Running first overall and punted out of the race by a fake point-by

TheEngineer wrote:

Again, contact happened at a left hand corner with a flag station on the left. If the other driver was focusing his attention left he may never have seen you make the move and then drifted into you.

The flag station was not on the left, it was around a corner, down a hill and on the left.  You can't see it for another few seconds after the contact.

Perhaps this is also a good time to mention that this driver made THREE CONSECUTIVE blocking maneuvers to keep a faster car behind him a few laps later, literally weaving back and forth on a straightaway after the orange SHO came up from behind. 

I will give the benefit of the doubt until you give me a reason to think otherwise...he did.

TheEngineer wrote:

As for hand signals, you are not obliged to give any at all. You don't have to give point-bys, wave for yellows, or any of the rest. The only one I've ever heard talked about formally was the fist out the window at track out. The fact that us slow cars may occasionally feel nice and hug the side while pointing is just a kindness.

I would much rather prefer no hand signal at all over an ambiguous one that led to an accident.

-Nathan - Team Captain, Priority Fail Racing
1997 Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine

the shaolin wrote:

I'm wearing a multi-layer suit plus the long underwear, but I've never worn a balaclava, I can't stand them.  Point taken though, I don't have a good reason not to.

A couple of people have mentioned this before and apparently there is a neck sock as well that covers the long hair (or long beard in my case).

28 (edited by Spank 2016-04-28 04:45 PM)

billybobster wrote:

The prevailing (but not universally adopted) signals I've seen across orgs on the West Coast are:

point out window over roof to right

The problem with inside the car hand signals is that they are hard to see, what with roll bars, cameras, drink bladders, etc.

Easy to see consistent communications are the most important - that's why I would really like to have whatever the "official" Lemons hand signals are covered in the driver's meeting. This will especially help the newbs. And mentally afflicted, like myself.

Steve McD is the Lemons Bad Driver whisperer (didn't you see the recent wrapup video?). He does a newbie meeting and suggests point bys, from what I understand. It probably wouldn't be too difficult for him to make a standard, but then that same standard should be communicated to us non-newbies at the drivers meeting or something.

I would wholeheartedly have to stop doing pointbys if the hand out the window over the roof signal were what everyone wanted to see. Hyperbole aside, it would be entirely too difficult and too dangerous.

I offer pointbys as both a courtesy to the car behind me and probably more importantly for self-preservation. I realize my level of Class C car is a dying breed and my time is limited. But in the little bit of time I have left in these things, I can't see driving more than 50% of my track time with my hand out the window and over the roof of the car. Not gonna happen.

the shaolin wrote:

I would much rather prefer no hand signal at all over an ambiguous one that led to an accident.

You are under no obligation at any time to follow the hand signal of any other competitors car.  They are idiots.

You are under no obligation to give a hand signal to any other competitor car.  They may not follow it as you intended it.  They are idiots.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

30 (edited by billybobster 2016-04-28 07:10 PM)

Spank wrote:

Steve McD is the Lemons Bad Driver whisperer (didn't you see the recent wrapup video?). He does a newbie meeting and suggests point bys, from what I understand. It probably wouldn't be too difficult for him to make a standard, but then that same standard should be communicated to us non-newbies at the drivers meeting or something.

I had forgotten about the Steve McD newbie meetings. I don't recall there being one at my first event, at Sears Pointless last year. Hopefully, if I had heard, I would have gone. Agree that what they are told should be communicated to non-newbs. And relative newbs such as me. I did get the absolutely appropriate Judge Steve "grind the HPDE weenie into a meek and compliant pile" chats during my first event two BFs. He was absolutely correct, my skills were (and are) low to non-existent and I was unlikely to be scouted for F1.

Spank wrote:

I realize my level of Class C car is a dying breed and my time is limited.

I hope not! I love the Class C's. The Most Important Class.

Spank wrote:

I can't see driving more than 50% of my track time with my hand out the window and over the roof of the car.

Agreed, having had our current Class B car reduced to Class C speeds at an event by electrical gremlins its first time out, I figured my job was to attach myself to the right side of the track and drive predictably. I was going to wear my arm out trying to point-by all the time. Approaching drivers have responsibilities too - to not collide with me or other cars while passing me. After they lap me for the second or third time in a stint, it should sink in "that car is slow."

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

the shaolin wrote:

The flag station was not on the left, it was around a corner, down a hill and on the left.  You can't see it for another few seconds after the contact.

Perhaps this is also a good time to mention that this driver made THREE CONSECUTIVE blocking maneuvers to keep a faster car behind him a few laps later, literally weaving back and forth on a straightaway after the orange SHO came up from behind. 

I will give the benefit of the doubt until you give me a reason to think otherwise...he did.

At 24 seconds into the video I can see the barrier around the flag station. Contact happens at 26.

It's harder to see things in video than in person, so it's not a stretch to assume you could see that station a second or two earlier in person.

I know I wasn't there, and I sure as hell don't know what the other driver really thought. I'm only trying to give some perspective on how their story might hold up. It's incredibly easy to wrap yourself around your own side of the story and see nothing else. For what it's worth I agree that hit was 100% avoidable. You were far enough around them at the time that they should have seen you.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

This is a great example of why it's important to focus on driving your own car first. Throwing a hand signal of any type is nice, but you can't drive anybody else's car for them, and if attempting to be "helpful" causes you to get distracted and fuck up, then it's no good for anybody.

I've done it myself, focusing so much on when and where to point someone by that I have to lock up the brakes in a turn, or take a 4-off because I forgot that I'm not on the same line I've been taking all day.

billybobster wrote:

Agreed, having had our current Class B car reduced to Class C speeds at an event by electrical gremlins its first time out,

Sadly, you are being unkind to Class C cars.
Our car was significantly slower than nearly all of the Class C cars at that race.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

My take away for the Thunderhill Race in a few weeks- giant poster in our pit that says (paraphrasing prev quote) ALWAYS try to give yourself an out for bizarre, sudden, unexpected, uncalled for and inexplicable moves... Our team has been on the  recieving  end of bonehead moves when we could have been a contender, and we have made our share of unwise moves (20/20 hindsight is a great teacher ) We really like the no whining rule and always apologize to the judges no matter how strong we feel unfairly targeted for a black flag...

Scion XB Toaster
71 Datsun Z

One of the things we have always said is - In Lemons there should be no such thing as an unexpected move. There are moves that defy logic, there are moves that lack prudence, but they should not be unexpected given the mix of driver level experience you will encounter on the track. Expect every gap to get closed, every corner to get dive bombed by someone, etc.

All of our drivers are told that when they encounter ANY car on the track to assume that driver has ZERO experience and plan accordingly because that scenario is pretty likely.

TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:

One of the things we have always said is - In Lemons there should be no such thing as an unexpected move. There are moves that defy logic, there are moves that lack prudence, but they should not be unexpected given the mix of driver level experience you will encounter on the track. Expect every gap to get closed, every corner to get dive bombed by someone, etc.

All of our drivers are told that when they encounter ANY car on the track to assume that driver has ZERO experience and plan accordingly because that scenario is pretty likely.

Yep.

the shaolin wrote:

I'm wearing a multi-layer suit plus the long underwear, but I've never worn a balaclava, I can't stand them.  Point taken though, I don't have a good reason not to.

You would be surprised. The nomex wicks so well I prefer a Balaclava when it's hot. It evens out the sweat and feels cooler once the helmet heats up.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

To me, what would explain his explanation versus what we see in this video is if he lost track of where you were.  If he was signaling, "I'm slowing down for a yellow flag" he may have been concentrating on finding the cause of the yellow and did not notice you because you passed him rather quickly.  Thus his idea that you hit him.

This is totally conjecture, but I think plausible.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

I am the most cautious (slow) driver on our team and I would have reacted exactly as you did. I would have immediately gone for the pass on the outside thinking I had been given a point by. This kind of thing sucks but there is no way to be 100% safe from them. To do well in Lemon's at any given race you need to be lucky in addition to everything else. We have had our share of bad luck over the years so I feel your frustration.

Makes me think that when I take to the track as a newbie, I should avoid signalling, try to be predictable in the turns and let more experienced drivers fend for themselves. I'm concerned about giving a bad signal and causing confusion.

dale.furno wrote:

Makes me think that when I take to the track as a newbie, I should avoid signalling, try to be predictable in the turns and let more experienced drivers fend for themselves. I'm concerned about giving a bad signal and causing confusion.

Yes and no.  As the slowest driver of one of the slowest cars at most tracks I can say without any reservations, being predictable is more important than ALL other things.  Drive your mirrors, pick a line that does not have you located at the corner exit for the "racing" line with no where to go and when in doubt, hug a side.

All this said, I am an avid point by guy.  If you become one, be obvious but more importantly STICK WITH IT.  Do not drift out into the traffic you just pointed by.  In this case IF it was a point by, he did not stick with it.  If it was not, the signal was unclear but it does not excuse him drifting out into overcoming traffic. Nor does it mean that the OP/driver (who I also consider a friend) was responsible for executing that pass IN SPITE OF the erratic driving of the other party...it is Lemons with all level of competency and awareness behind the wheel.

In Nate's defense, the driver of the Saturn's claim Nate hit him destroys the Saturn drivers credibility in this discussion.  Was it point by or a warning...hard to tell but the driver of the Saturn not owning up is egregious in Lemons...it means he does not care or does not know what happened.  And yes...I know the driver in question rather well as I helped him rebuild the engine before this in my driveway and helped get his car ready for a race a little over a year ago.

42 (edited by jhodgson 2016-05-02 04:22 AM)

Maybe there needs to be a chat at the drivers' meeting about what hand signals are going to get used.

I only ever did:

- Fist out = "I am pitting"

- Point by = "I expect you to pass this side"

- Waving to thank workers

- Palm up = "What the fuck, muchacho?"

I've also signaled corner workers using corner worker gestures, e.g. flat tow vs tilt bed when car stalled, but I didn't know people did corner worker waving flag inside the car.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce Faithful Devotee
Writer of novels and not-novels.

the shaolin wrote:
bendawson3 wrote:

Further questions are where is your fire proof balaclava and why brake with your right foot when you aren't shifting gears.

What does my driving technique have to do with anything?  Why switch between left and right foot braking if you're not in a car that allows left foot braking all the time?

I agree here, I would never switch back and forth between right and left footed braking. That's bizarre.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

dculberson wrote:
the shaolin wrote:
bendawson3 wrote:

Further questions are where is your fire proof balaclava and why brake with your right foot when you aren't shifting gears.

What does my driving technique have to do with anything?  Why switch between left and right foot braking if you're not in a car that allows left foot braking all the time?

I agree here, I would never switch back and forth between right and left footed braking. That's bizarre.

For the shaolin and dculberson---- I mentioned driving technique and lack of balaclava because, aside from the egregious contact those things stood out from the video. I guess I'm a forum rules breaker skewing off topic. Dammit! I should probably be banished. I do wish balaclava was a safety requirement much more than I care whether people left foot brake. Just an off hand comment. Feel free to arm punch me when you eventually meet me.

I like to brake with my left foot when I'm not shifting and find it to be beneficial, cutting transition time between inputs and adding flexibility to making quick decisions in traffic. That's why. Doesn't seem bizarre to me. I do it ALL the time. I didn't invent the concept on a PCP trip. Other folks do it with success in racing. Carry on

Just to continue the thread derailment...

I brake with both my left and right foot as well, depending on whether I need to shift.

I think there is no real time advantage though, when compared to a very experienced right foot braker. Best to just do whatever you're most comfortable with.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Driving an automatic, I use both right and left foot braking.
There are times when a light application of the left foot will transfer weight to the
front tires, but I still want to modulate the throttle through the corner.
As long as your feet don't get confused, I see no real advantage to regimented
left foot/right foot use.

I will say that applying throttle with the left foot is probably best avoided,
though I've had to do that on the street after I broke my right femur.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Left foot braking takes practice to get the feel.  So if you aren't used to doing it I would just do it with the right foot at the race.  The potential time you are saving is not worth flat spotting or go off for.

If its something you want to do start on the street and get the feel for it before taking it on the track.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Or you can do like one of my employees, and use your right foot for the clutch pedal.  Dyslexia is not pretty.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

racinrob wrote:

Or you can do like one of my employees, and use your right foot for the clutch pedal.  Dyslexia is not pretty.

I'm not sure how that would even work.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Anybody do both feet braking?

Scion XB Toaster
71 Datsun Z