Re: Number of Drivers in a Team

Guildenstern wrote:

Look at it this way, No matter what, the minimum cost of entry is $1,200. You never pay less than that. That's the price of admission.

$600 Car
$600 Minimum Drivers (4x150)

You all already have the license for the year and your own transponder and want in the gate with yellow wrist bands and an OK sticker on one car that's the cost.

Only 3 drivers, you get to split that $1,200 3 ways, 2 gets split two ways, and so on. You need to have "ghost" drivers in order to fill the order up to 4. If the ghost driver is new they each cost $60 to get their comp license. Then you can use that Ghost all year if you like. The license is good for 364 days.

Or, you could ask a driver who has a license and isn't going to an event to sign up for your team and then your 1-3 drivers pay the $1,200. (They don't care where the money comes from as long as it's paid.)

Or, you borrow someone else's ghost for the weekend that already has a license for the year.

No matter what, YOU and your knuckleheads pay at LEAST $1,200 to put ONE (1) car on the track.

I think I understand how the math works now, divided among 4 people, it's not the most expensive hobby, and gets somewhat cheaper if you budget build and your car survives to a second or third race.

It makes sense that they would have minimum requirements for an entry, I'm certain that the costs of putting on a legitimate event are enormous, and you've got to be sure that each team can perform certain tasks without needing outside help.   

We aren't foreseeing a problem with bringing 8 drivers, at least to what will be my first event, the out of pocket costs including the build are looking pretty reasonable.  I like that they are flexible on the ghost drivers listed on the entries, and the ability for a registered driver to drive any car gives a lot of flexibility.

My only comment is that it becomes harder for a team with a small driver pool to field a second car having to make ghosts, borrow identities, or find more knuckleheads to buy in even though they may be able to function with only 5 or 6 members,

Well Dale, if you ever need a driver, just email me the invite code. I can't promise I will be able to make the flight, and my PayPal is dodgy, but I'll make sure I'm listed.

28 (edited by Guildenstern 2016-05-02 11:09 PM)

It's mostly a pay system thing. They can't charge you $1,200 unless there's 4 drivers in the system otherwise it kicks out a "not enough drivers, it is impossible!" It can't raise per driver costs to make 3 work, Driver = $150. that's all it can do.

If it could, you'd still be paying the same $1,200 per car.

If your team out of the graciousness of their heart pays for an already licensed driver on the other side of the country to be on your team, and that driver just say forgets to show up, that's fine. Happens a lot, even when you actually WANT that driver to be there. More time for everyone else. It's really no hassle. Even more fun, if that driver shows up anyways they get a yellow wrist band and owe you $150 and gets to beg rides off everyone in the paddock. (because you won't actually let the weirdo drive unless they cough up the rest of the race expenses.)

There was a guy at Sonoma that was a team of 1. It can be done, but you ain't winning, and it still cost him $1,200.

Just think of it as another layer of "Creative Reality" that makes Lemons what it is.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

dale.furno wrote:

My only comment is that it becomes harder for a team with a small driver pool to field a second car having to make ghosts, borrow identities, or find more knuckleheads to buy in even though they may be able to function with only 5 or 6 members,

Well there are cheaper ways to, make friends with a team of 5 or 6 people and have their additional drivers sign up under your team.  Any driver can drive any car so just because they sign up with your team doesn't mean they have to drive your car.  They just pay you the drivers fee and it works out for everyone.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

You can use the same four names for both cars if you want.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

The accounting is just a bit confusing at first. now that I understand, it makes sense, and I want to be clear that I was just pointing it out and not lodging any kind of complaint.

I don't foresee any issues for our team, even if people bail there seems to be a lot of people eager to get in.

I appreciate the responses considering I hijacked this thread.

dale.furno wrote:

I don't foresee any issues for our team, even if people bail there seems to be a lot of people eager to get in.

Just as a word of warning/experience.  Enjoy that part while it lasts.  You will have a percentage bail after the first significant issue or experience driving a slow car in traffic.  You might get lucky (some do) and it only be a small percentage but most see 1/3 or so drop in the first year.

For me...this ended up a good thing in the end because my team is stronger for it but it is nerve racking.

OnkelUdo wrote:
dale.furno wrote:

Just as a word of warning/experience.  Enjoy that part while it lasts.  You will have a percentage bail after the first significant issue or experience driving a slow car in traffic.  You might get lucky (some do) and it only be a small percentage but most see 1/3 or so drop in the first year.

For me...this ended up a good thing in the end because my team is stronger for it but it is nerve racking.

I've lived through that with a paintball team. It's heartbreaking the first time.

I lurked the forums, read the rules, and watched videos for a month before deciding I was in, and reaching out in the looking for team forum.  Found Dave Burden with the Doof Wagon, he mentioned the possibility of building a new car, and after doing the math, if we burn the car to the ground on the first lap, I'll still have gotten more fun per dollar out of Lemons than any of the other lost interests that are piled up in my garage.

I figured getting in with some Lemons veterans would be a good way to have a positive experience and not end up being the last man standing.

By the way Dale, the new vehicle is a 'motor car'..... smile

Dave

ERM Racing:  NHMS 2016 - Organizer's Choice Award. NHMS 2015 - Judge's Choice Award. NHMS 2014 - "Most work to make an Unrecognizable Movie Car Award" Team Ludicrous Speed:  NHMS Fall 2013 - driver, NHMS Spring 2013 -  support crew, NHMS Fall 2012 - Corner Marshal (How not to Flip Your Car)