Topic: Camping at Thunder Hill

How is it? All of our team members want to bring families and rv's/trailers. Is there enough room included in the $50 camping package?  Is the camping in or near the pit area? How about additional crew?  Also we want to bring lots of beer. Will there be enough room for all our beer?
-Brad

Re: Camping at Thunder Hill

You get a 40x20foot space for your team. Whatever you can fit in there is what you got. There is parking across from the skid pad for open trailers and whatever else doesn't fit in your spot. Depending where you're pitted or if you have 2 cars entered, you can get pretty creative as to how you set your pit space up. and don't worry about not having enough room for your beer. We'll keep an eye out for it.

Cars: '96 Saturn, Prelude, 91-93 SE-R's, Two '84 Rabbits, '87 Scirocco(R.i.P.), '01 Focus, '94 Honda Del Slow, '86 Scirocco, '91 Miata,
Championships: 2009
Races: Too Many to count

Chingon wrote:

You get a 40x20foot space for your team. Whatever you can fit in there is what you got. There is parking across from the skid pad for open trailers and whatever else doesn't fit in your spot. Depending where you're pitted or if you have 2 cars entered, you can get pretty creative as to how you set your pit space up. and don't worry about not having enough room for your beer. We'll keep an eye out for it.

So this is pit area, multi-generational family sleeping quarters, mess hall, yoga studio and bulk alcohol storage all rolled into one 20'x40' per car right?  Or is the camping separate from pit?

"This is pit area, multi-generational family sleeping quarters, mess hall,  and bulk alcohol storage all rolled into one......."

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag81/BigBird57/GEDC0706_zps56ea27b9.jpg

We tend to sleep close to the cars......some closer than others....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

There's a grassy knoll down by T14-15 where you might be able to pitch a tent.

even with 227 cars/teams there is still room for plenty of area per team. Only the teams that jam in under the shade structure or try to get right next to pit-out or pit-in get stuffed into small spots. you should be able to find area to set up a free-standing tent on the asphalt. Or maybe on some grass if you are really lucky.

note: I've slept on the asphalt with just a pad and blanket and got all bit up by something, so a mosquito net tent is a minimum in my book. not sure how the people sleeping in the open in pickups or on top of cars fare.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

7 (edited by billybobster 2016-04-28 04:30 PM)

I'd say mosquito netting is a must have - CA Central Valley late May equals summer. And I am acculturated to living on the west side of SF where summer = winter.

I am an in-car camper, via the area available in my Avant (Audi for station wagon). I've only car camped under Lemons + oppressive heat + bugs conditions twice but my plans include pieces of mosquito netting taped over the open windows, plus a box fan sitting on some boxes so it is window height to get some breeze through.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

Yep; plenty of room to camp in the paddock.  We've camped at the track every TH race for the last 4-5 years and we've had zero complaints/issues.  It's actually kinda nice when it finally cools off in the evening (oh, and if they don't forget to turn off the flood lights at night...).

Perennial Losers
Mazda 787b aka '75 914 - Org Choice @ The Ridge, 2015; IGS @ TH, 2018
BMW M1 Procar aka '80 RX-7 (retired) - Zero awards sad

We've actually camped in the area a LOT so very familiar with the weather/bugs. Just a little concerned about space. Each of our 8 drivers has at least one wife and it seems we are being tracked by a pack of feral children. We have two car entries and thus paid for two campings. It sounds like we'll be fine. Glad to know there will other folks overnighting. I think we're going to need a bunch of help on the cars. Or at least the beer.  Please come hang out with us, we need lots of learnings.

10 (edited by fleming95 2016-05-04 10:47 AM)

Bandit13 wrote:

We've actually camped in the area a LOT so very familiar with the weather/bugs. Just a little concerned about space. Each of our 8 drivers has at least one wife...

Sweet Jesus, 8 drivers with wive(s) who want to come to the track?  That must be some sort of record: spouses @ racing * Lemons + weather/bugs ==  I'm staying home, go have 'fun'! 

Bandit13 wrote:

and it seems we are being tracked by a pack of feral children. ...

As mentioned regularly, and as I'm sure you know, keep 'em caged up or on a short leash; we all care to not see any harm befall them, and visibilty ain't the greatest in the paddock..

-Jeff

fleming95 wrote:

and it seems we are being tracked by a pack of feral children. ...

As mentioned regularly, and as I'm sure you know, keep 'em caged up or on a short leash; we all care to not see any harm befall them, and visibilty ain't the greatest in the paddock..

-Jeff

This is what happens when they get a little too feral.....
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag81/BigBird57/797-UG-IMG_4216_t_zpst9lnobxg.jpg

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)