1 (edited by Aggressive1 2016-06-28 07:55 AM)

Topic: fuel cell question

Finally getting a fuel cell for our celly,
Budget dictates a used one but have a question about certification.
This cell was used in a Trans Am class car. It is an ATL fuel cell, He sent a pic of what is on tank and it looks like a stencil painted on with part number(FB122C-B13) serial number, manufacture date and expiration date (6-30-19), then and inspectors stamp under that.   Wish I could post pic but I seem to be pretty computer stupid on that sorry
Thanks for any help guys.

Re: fuel cell question

Need to know if you want to install the cell in the same space as the driver or will you have a sealed fire wall between cell and driver.  This makes the difference between what will work and what won't work.  Check the rules, the fuel cell is well defined on what is legal.  The cell you are describing will probably be fine in either position, but you need to make sure it is a FIA rated cell to put it in the driver area.

Organizer's Choice Award 2011 Heaps in Heart of Texas
IOE 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
2014 ECR Class C WIN;  2015 MSR Class B WIN
Speedy Monzales

It is FIA rated but I didnt know if it needs a certification sticker too.
I do believe I will need to make a fie wall as my car is a hatch back.

We have a hatchback and mounted a non-FIA under the floor board.  There was room behind the rear axle.  Works well and passes tech.  Just another option.

Organizer's Choice Award 2011 Heaps in Heart of Texas
IOE 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
2014 ECR Class C WIN;  2015 MSR Class B WIN
Speedy Monzales

Aggressive1 wrote:

It is FIA rated but I didnt know if it needs a certification sticker too.
I do believe I will need to make a fie wall as my car is a hatch back.

Is it FIA rated without a sticker? Answer: no.

rcazwillis wrote:

We have a hatchback and mounted a non-FIA under the floor board.  There was room behind the rear axle.  Works well and passes tech.  Just another option.

Same, had to build a box over the top when we went from 16 to 22 Gallons and Jay had us build an extra cage to protect from rear impact.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Curious,
by the "how not to fail tech"
the fuel cell shows to be all way in the back.
But to me, if to put the fuel cell behind the driver and create second envelop around it, aka firewall box. it be hell lot safer.
since it be inside the cage space. If its in the back, behind the cage, then its just more likely to get damaged in a serious collision.

So, my question on the topic, lets say its not FIA certified cell, and has all the proper safety, shell, bladder, foam.
Can it be placed inside the cage envelop and then a fire box made around it as a firewall extension?

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

"3.H.6 Fuel Bulkhead. The fuel-tank area must be totally separated from the driving compartment. For example, if the fuel tank is in the trunk area, any openings between the trunk and the cockpit must be permanently sealed with bolted, riveted, or welded metal panels. OE fuel tanks that are separate from, and located completely below, the trunk floor or rear cabin floor are acceptable. If the fuel tank can't be completely separated from the cockpit by metal panels, a metal-encased, FIA-certified fuel cell with all related compliant fittings  must be used."

Usually the cell's in the trunk for packaging reasons. Hatch-backs have the inherent disadvantage of not having a trunk fire-wall, which needs to be built unless the cell is FIA-cert.

In our Metro we built a separate cage for the FIA cell and this was adjacent to the rear main stays.  We didn't have a bulkhead.  It passed tech no issues.  Car is now retired as WE don't think the whole idea of not having fuel completely separated from the driver, even with an FIA cell, is safe.  Amongst other things. 

Short answer, hatchbacks + fuel cell = headache.

kakarot1232001 wrote:

Curious,
But to me, if to put the fuel cell behind the driver and create second envelop around it, aka firewall box. it be hell lot safer.
since it be inside the cage space. If its in the back, behind the cage, then its just more likely to get damaged in a serious collision.

So, my question on the topic, lets say its not FIA certified cell, and has all the proper safety, shell, bladder, foam.
Can it be placed inside the cage envelop and then a fire box made around it as a firewall extension?

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

There's always this option.....
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag81/BigBird57/LEC11-UG-013_zpsjggslfe1.jpg
This one's a GE,but you can use a  Kenmore,or Maytag,or Whirlpool...

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

11 (edited by shouldnthave 2016-06-29 07:43 PM)

kakarot1232001 wrote:

Curious,

Our FIA certified fuel cell is directly behind the driver, inside of the cage, without a firewall. Passes tech every time.

http://i68.tinypic.com/x5cy21.jpg

12 (edited by Aggressive1 2016-06-30 09:59 AM)

you guys are the best!! That's why I'll be a lemonhead for life...... wish I had a spare washing machine!! (maybe wife wont notice?)
any way I think I'm covered
TRD will see yall @ Thompson and CMP !!!!!!

Oh, and don't connect the fuel cell cage to your roll cage.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.