Topic: NJ 2016 race Youtube link

I came across this little video some team made.
Interesting noob perspective....and some good shots/videos of cars.
They also make some interesting points...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh8XWftC8C8

mz

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

Re: NJ 2016 race Youtube link

mz, your car was shown couple of times. congrats.
He did not walk to much around before making the video.
He should have stayed a bit into the saturday party. he would have learned a heck lot more.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

3 (edited by OnkelUdo 2016-07-06 03:29 PM)

"To compete you have to have a $20-25,000 car"...maybe by race 20?

I would bet you that Flying Pigs spent $5-600 max on non safety items between races.

I am glad he is interested but that comment had me back here and not watching the rest.  He is the entire time "I am not knocking it but"...derp...I am knocking it because that 12 race car is not a $500 car anymore.  Dingleberry, if he was winning, they would be giving him laps until he could not (easily) anymore.  That $8K car (likely) you are seeing explodes every race so the judges do not care.

Some great footage of the Chevette!

My biggest advice is to run whatever you have stock.  The more you screw with things, your reliability goes in the tank.  But the judges are more entertained when you try to be creative.

The Defeat Device Mid-Engine 1979 Chevette
Fastest / craziest Chevette driver in America!

OnkelUdo wrote:

"To compete you have to have a $20-25,00 car"...maybe by race 20?

I would bet you that Flying Pigs spent $5-600 max on non safety items between races.

I am glad he is interested but that comment had me back here and not watching the rest.  He is the entire time "I am not knocking it but"...derp...I am knocking it because that 12 race car is not a $500 car anymore.  Dingleberry, if he was winning, they would be giving him laps until he could not (easily) anymore.  That $8K car (likely) you are seeing explodes every race so the judges do not care.

I also stopped watching after the "only 3 cars here are $500 cars".  This guy wants to race with us, and before he's so much as turned a wrench he's accusing 95% of the field of cheating?

Ugh.

bs

bshorey wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

"To compete you have to have a $20-25,00 car"...maybe by race 20?

I also stopped watching after the "only 3 cars here are $500 cars".  This guy wants to race with us, and before he's so much as turned a wrench he's accusing 95% of the field of cheating?

Ugh.

bs

Yes, I agree, OnkelUno,bshorey...their comments about cars being worth more than $500 got a bit old and annoying, tiresome...but I liked the video, especially since my car was in them!...and I am very proud of my jalopy...for someone who has minimal racing and wrenching skills...and so far, >50% race finishing rate (barely), and some finished in the top 50%!
But take into account that they have a nooby perspective....and don't understand that for most of the cars, if you were to cut out the cage, remove the seat and harness, slap some old steelies on them with worn tires, and advertise on CL "rusted 20 year old car with no seats, not street legal, and a engine, tranny, and suspension that can break any time"....would not sell for $500.  And I thus I think they don't realize how difficult it is to race such old, run down cars but in the correct hands could run a 14.5 hour race at such speeds, without blowing up...it is amazing to me....I just thought it was an interesting perspective from someone who does not really understand or experienced Lemons racing

Maybe best watched with the sound off....

z

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

Wouldn't surprise me if this guy was on Craigslist right now trying to sell a ratted-out Camero that "would be a great project" for $6,500 because he "put way more than that into it." It's the exact same logic...

8 (edited by ninjacoco 2016-07-07 06:59 PM)

Obligatory Wawa stop. Haha.

I'll give him a pass on the $500 comments, even if he doesn't sound not all that familiar with how nuts aircooled prices are now. :'( (You can still get $500 Beetles, though. Just gotta look. Hard.) "I kannat beliebe dat is $500!!!1!1" is like, most of the internet. And of course, the boring Bimmers don't make it in the recap videos. Lemons doesn't care about those cars unless they do something unexpectedly awesome/dumb/exceptional/whatever. (I'd also argue that it's a fan-friggin'-tastic thing that there aren't many Miatas at that race for just that reason.)

Either way, "Butt Turrible"-ing the Penna. Turnpike gets this man bonus points. He rambles about allegedly-non-$500-cars, but really? You can't take this caca too seriously, or you'll go nuts, or worse: start to sound like the Real Racer(TM) forums.

Couldn't watch the whole thing. I tried. All he talked about was the $500 thing. Over and over. And he wants to come and play in our sandbox after this? Serve him right if they buried him with penalty laps.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

I checked out his YouTube channel, and they are tearing into a wornout Impreza.  Hopefully they can get a cage in it in time for NH.
https://youtu.be/DXH-Mq-Hw4Y
They are a PA team, so hopefully a fellow Lemon team can help "guide" them into entering this great racing series.
Their video has an email address.
Yes the "I can't believe that's $500" did get old, but they will learn.
I wish them the best of luck in getting on track and turning laps.

The Defeat Device Mid-Engine 1979 Chevette
Fastest / craziest Chevette driver in America!

I thought their FB page said they were from MA, although I couldn't figure out why they'd be on the PA Turnpike to go to NJ from MA.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

"A lot of cars out here are super prepared, tons of fabrication..."

Oh man, this chap will learn just how minimal preparation a lot of teams actually do to get on track.

Hopefully they stick with it. Subaru 2.2 is a tough way to go for a first-time team, but it seems to be what a lot of teams north and east of the Mason-Dixon line are familiar with. As long as they bring spare motors and transmissions they'll at least have something to do when their first motor spins a bearing 2 hours in and/or the glass Subaru synchronizers shred themselves. Here's hoping they'll make in on track before too long and come over to SFPR for a beer or a board meeting.

Bert One - 1981 Volvo 262c Bertone | Ernie - 1990 Nissan 240SX

ninjacoco wrote:

Either way, "Butt Turrible"-ing the Penna. Turnpike gets this man bonus points. He rambles about allegedly-non-$500-cars, but really? You can't take this caca too seriously, or you'll go nuts, or worse: start to sound like the Real Racer(TM) forums.

Personally, the endless $500 comments on every damn site are annoying, but I can deal with them.  But this guy, who wants to come and join us, accusing 95% of the field of cheating before he even shows up with his own car.  Nah, he doesn't get a pass, not from me.

I would guess that he's cheating all the way through his own build, because he's already determined that's what it takes.  Hope he get's dinged a bunch of penalty laps.

bs