Topic: Route Navigation

I had a question about how we are going to stay on route. Route book? GPS Waypoints? Celestial Navigation? I'm just wondering if I need to get a gps unit or if I would be fine using the stock odo.

rally560

Re: Route Navigation

I suppose we should all get something like this....

http://www.onthedash.com/pics4docs/THVisit2012/014Dashboard.jpg

or, not!  I'm planning on bringing too-small paper maps of California and Nevada, and getting lost.

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

I was hoping just to pick up a couple gas station or tourist stop maps when I got down there, probably relying on google maps on my phone for the most part but I don't expect to be able to rely on cell networks much, and navigating with only google's base maps and a GPS signal of questionable accuracy isn't the easiest.

http://www.californiaherps.com/films/filmimages/ojwphryno.jpg

Listen to Chief Dan George

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Dial up Cleavon Little on the AM radio. Or wait for a naked lady on a motorcycle.

http://www.tasteofcinema.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Vanishing-Point.jpg

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

billybobster wrote:

Or wait for a naked lady on a motorcycle.

With a really bad sunburn.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

I'm going to pull map updates for both older Garmin and TomTom units that I have.  GPS satellite signal will be fine.  It's the cell coverage I'm worried about.

Also, these.

Download USGS topo maps in pdf format

Mountain pass directory
ebook, print book, or interactive app with no signal required

RV Parky app
lots of interactive roadside info

Formula None
Because Saab Turbos have too much power
Inexplicably OC @ Humidi TT 2014

8 (edited by tomicdesu 2016-07-23 10:54 PM)

gogmorgo wrote:

... probably relying on google maps on my phone

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha y'all ain't been out'n'them there parts, much, has ya?

bring paper. road atlases don't require system updates nor login.

if you insist, you can pay for Locus Maps (android, anyway). i did. decent quality, $8 each i think. funny how we'll balk at $8 for an app when we'll pay $30 for a road atlas or whatever (me too). map and overlay data reside entirely in the phone, no network needed.

on actual road trips i use Google to get out of town etc, then revert to paper. it's not a technical thing, but an aesthetic one -- with the foan on the dash i find i repetitively look at it mentally asking "where am i?" as the little triangle moves. but i realized dammit i'm on a road trip -- I'M RIGHT HERE DAMMIT ON THE ROAD so i plot route with paper, PUT IT DOWN ON THE SEAT and .. just enjoy the drive.

ymmv.

likely though that le Lemons crowd will provide something approximating route sheets, or annotated maps, or turn by turn prose, or have left breadcrumbs. or maybe they use the old trick of tying orange survey tape on key points.

tomicdesu wrote:
gogmorgo wrote:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha y'all ain't been out'n'them there parts, much, has ya?

I saw a T-mobile ad last night that showed their coverage.  You could clearly follow I-80 and I-15, and you could see the Vegas area, but other than that, nothing.

Formula None
Because Saab Turbos have too much power
Inexplicably OC @ Humidi TT 2014

tomicdesu wrote:
gogmorgo wrote:

likely though that le Lemons crowd will provide something approximating route sheets, or annotated maps, or turn by turn prose, or have left breadcrumbs. or maybe they use the old trick of tying orange survey tape on key points.

Or you just follow the trail of transmission parts and blown coolant hoses........

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

I've used google maps to successfully navigate out of severely dense bush deep in the back country up in the frozen wasteland to the north of y'all. There's a decent base map and you still have a gps signal marking your position on the map, so even without cell service you can navigate based on landmarks, as the phone has a built-in compass that works without service. I may be dumb but I'm not a dweeb...

We plan to use our TomTom GPS, Smart phone as a back up and then road atlas as a last resort.

One thing to consider is the effect heat will have on these electronic devices. I know on our way to Burning Man in the past, our dash mounted GPS would "suspend battery charging" when it got too hot. Cell phones do the same I believe.

If your battery dies you might not be able to charge it...

DawgStrip wrote:

One thing to consider is the effect heat will have on these electronic devices. I know on our way to Burning Man in the past, our dash mounted GPS would "suspend battery charging" when it got too hot. Cell phones do the same I believe.

If your battery dies you might not be able to charge it...

I have always kept a spare battery for my phone (Samsung S4) in the car for emergencies.   But the other night I went to use it and discovered that both sides were bulged out.   It wouldn't even fit in the phone.   I can only assume that it was caused by the high temperatures we've had lately, which are nothing compared to what will be experienced on the rally.

I have heard of such things happening with counterfeit batteries, but this was a genuine Samsung, purchased directly from the Samsung web site.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

lipo batteries swell when they get old, too.

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.