Topic: Waiver?

Does anyone have a waiver that they use for arrive and drives or whatnot?  I have some friends that are joining the team for Thompson and I want to have a bit of protection.  I'm looking for something that basically says racing is dangerous, you could be injured, the car was built by amateurs, and that the driver is responsible for making sure they are safe and feel comfortable driving the car.

Anyone have something like this?

Additional question.  Do any teams run like a deposit type system in case an arrive and drive puts the car in the wall because he/she is being an idiot? I understand that you don't go racing with a car you are not ready to lose, but it is irritating when operator error destroy a lot of time and money. It's just a thought, was wondering what people thought about it.

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

Re: Waiver?

The first time I did an A&D they had nothing. The second one asked for a check that they held until after the event which they returned to me. Since then no one asked asked for anything and I've never had a to sign anything but after 5 years of racing I know most (but not all) of the people I've A&D'd for. I once had my own team and owned the car myself and had a friend total it during it's second race. It hurts like hell when that happens and I had nothing in place to cover such an incident.  I wish I did.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

cabinboy wrote:

The first time I did an A&D they had nothing. The second one asked for a check that they held until after the event which they returned to me. Since then no one asked asked for anything and I've never had a to sign anything but after 5 years of racing I know most (but not all) of the people I've A&D'd for. I once had my own team and owned the car myself and had a friend total it during it's second race. It hurts like hell when that happens and I had nothing in place to cover such an incident.  I wish I did.

That is because we accept money or smoked meats.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

I have  a waiver, but I did it as part of forming an LLC to hold the assets of the team.  Its a smart thing to do because as one of my teammates said "everyone's friends until someone gets killed, my wife or that guys wife may turn into an absolute bitch".  However in discussing this with a lawyer what you have in your favor is racing is generally accepted to be a "deadly" way to spend your spare time.  So should the worst happen its actually very hard to bring a case against you as the car owner because they would need a mountain of evidence saying you did everything wrong in prepping the car, since just by racing you accept a ton of risk in knowing the car was prepped right and that your actions can end in your demise.

Some teams do a deposit.  In my case all my drivers are friends of mine, however if I ever allowed someone to run who was not, that sounds like a good idea.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

You can change the name on a contract like this but that's just a suggestion :

http://nasane.com/wp-content/uploads/20 … ntract.pdf

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

We had to sign a waiver when we went Baja racing. There was not a kidnapping clause IIRC.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

CPT_Trans_Continental wrote:

We had to sign a waiver when we went Baja racing. There was not a kidnapping clause IIRC.

I do not think I will need to add that for my waiver.  Maybe though smile

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496