Topic: Intro

Where have you been all my life?  How did I not know about this sooner?  I've been working on crappy cars my entire adult life, and now I discover that I could put those talents to use for something other than just getting myself and family to work!!  I told the wife about this and she rolled her eyes, but I pointed out that I currently own 3 (Yes 3!) cars that I've paid $500 or less for, I just don't think my kids would appreciate me adding a cage and racing them.  Or maybe they would, who knows?

At a minimum I'm planning to attend Gingerman this October as a spectator, got too much other stuff going on to try to get a team together and a car prepped to race this year.  Maybe next time tho?

Re: Intro

Congrats on finally finding the place,and WELCOME to the madness!

Read lots of posts, especially the ones about Roll cage stuff like "will this pass tech" and mentions of "evil genius" to help bring you up to speed on the common Best Practices in terms of safety prep.

I'd also recommend that you scan through the posts that refer to the $500 limit, like "$500 my ASS!!1!1!!" and "How is a [blahblahblah] only $500?"

And of course be open to recognizing that the most important thing is to Have Fun and the Results are not nearly as memorable as are the foibles of the journey.

You picked a good race to get the immersion therapy as this is the Anniversary of both Lemons and the racetrack!  Should be the largest field ever at Gingerman.

A group I lovingly call "The Usual Suspects" have reserved all but two of the reservation only electrified paddocks with the main intent of throwing a Saturday night party on the front paddock drive.  Plan to spend the night that night if you can (I can supply an enclosed trailer floor that will have some form of heat for you to crash on).  Also try to make it by noon Friday to see BS/Tech inspection as it is the most entertaining and informative part of the weekend.

Lemons can be a hoot even if you com as unofficial crew/goffer/cook/assistant cat herder for a team...that is how I started.  Welcome to the madness.

As one member of The Usual Suspects I also encourage you to come out and partake of the circus. Feel free to ask questions and enjoy some beverages and food as well. There is always plenty to go around.

Where are you located? There is probably a team close by that will be willing to have you stop by prior to the race to show off their prized racing steed.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

Wait so all the electrical spots are taken already, crap.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Thanks guys!

I was reading on another forum about 'your best jury-rigged repairs' and a forum post mentioned 'if you want to see real jury rigging check out the 25 hours of Lemons".  Holy cow this looks like fun!  Then I say there is a race close by, even better!  Years ago we used to go to the Enduro races at Kalamazoo and had a blast.

I'm in Hastings MI.  If anyone is interested in some seriously questionable, non-OEM approved, jury-rigging help I'd be glad to!

BoB wrote:

Wait so all the electrical spots are taken already, crap.

Call but I am pretty sure we took them all...before the coastals could steal them.

Welcome to Lemons!!!  I am not a Midwest regular (at least racing), but my team has run at NJMP for the past several years.   We will be there for our first Gingerman race and I managed to get an electric paddock spot last week.  She said they were nearly out, but still had some electric spots in the woods.  Not really sure what that means.  Either way, keep checking the forum for teams looking for a last minute driver.  You may end up racing if you're really interested and most highly recommend doing an arrive and drive before actually building your own car.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

meyers0150 wrote:

Welcome to Lemons!!!  I am not a Midwest regular (at least racing), but my team has run at NJMP for the past several years.   We will be there for our first Gingerman race and I managed to get an electric paddock spot last week.  She said they were nearly out, but still had some electric spots in the woods.  Not really sure what that means.  Either way, keep checking the forum for teams looking for a last minute driver.  You may end up racing if you're really interested and most highly recommend doing an arrive and drive before actually building your own car.

The spots in the woods are the mini campground past the snack shack up on a hill...scenic but far, far away from the "action".  Lots of folks like them for that reason.

There are I think 18 spots along paddock row with electricity...that is where we plan to set up our craziness.