1 (edited by DawgStrip 2016-04-01 04:18 PM)

Topic: Book your hotels now !

If your putting it off, book your Hotel rooms now!

We just finished booking the various location Hotels and some only had a few rooms left. FYI

(Dear Credit Card... I am sorry for what i have done to you)

DawgStrip

Re: Book your hotels now !

Thx for the tip, I can't imagine were the reason why the hotels are full... Already got Monterey booked for the start, Vegas is never going to be full on a Wednesday night in August.... Who's full? Fallon or Santa Cruz? Freakin' Bakersfield??

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

santa cruz had 2 left when I booked today.

Santa Cruz was the hard one. We were just using Hotels.com . Were're Car people... Not travel agents!

For Santa Cruz we had to contact the hotel directly and only had 3 rooms left when we booked ours last week.

DawgStrip

Ya Friggin' Wusses.  I plan on sleeping on a bed of grease and metal flake filled transmission oil, under the car.  If I get cold, I'll just start the engine.  Well, maybe.

Dr. Evil
Old Crows Racing & Willson Motorsports
'96 Mustang # 171 (almost an "also mentioned" in B Class), 18 time loser
'73 Jensen Healey #907 (cuz we're idiots, right?) 4 time loser

Flats wrote:

I plan on sleeping on a bed of grease and metal flake filled transmission oil, under the car.

Transmission... oil. How quaint. Next I suppose you'll say it has those old-fashioned metal gears, too.

I, on the other hand, expect to spend pretty much every night under my own car changing its drive belts.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/54/155016400_171a5b9cb9_z.jpg

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Wow!  Cool!  Yours even has cutaways so you can easily add oil and watch the rotating parts, uh, rotate.

Dr. Evil
Old Crows Racing & Willson Motorsports
'96 Mustang # 171 (almost an "also mentioned" in B Class), 18 time loser
'73 Jensen Healey #907 (cuz we're idiots, right?) 4 time loser

Flats wrote:

Wow!  Cool!  Yours even has cutaways so you can easily add oil and watch the rotating parts, uh, rotate.

Oh, I only wish the Variomatic in my car was that easy to access.

No, wait, on second thought that would most likely just raise other issues.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

My Question: Are campgrounds off limits during this event?.. it might be an option to allow participants to share "group sites" while participating in the rally. Though roughing it might take it's toll on drivers being 100+ degrees at that time of the year.

Do we have to stay in hotels? I'm on a shoe string budget here and fully intend to sleep in the Jeep.

From what I gathered from the official announcement, hotel stays are not mandatory. You need to check in with the rally director before a certain scheduled time (TBA) but not required to stay any specific place.

That information isn't posted publicly, from what I can tell. But when you apply and get your acceptance email, it has the names and dates of the meetup points.

In part, it reads

The rally starts Tuesday morning, August 16th, at Asilomar Conference Grounds in Pacific Grove/Monterey, and there's an official HQ motel every night. Book yourself into the HQ motels, or some other motels, or you aunt's house, or sleep in your car. It's a free country.

At the Driver's Meeting on Tuesday morning, you'll be given a full route book, rule set, and challenge list. Every night you'll check in (hopefully) and be scored for completing the route, answering challenges, not being a douche, etc. Check-in starts at 8pm every evening and lasts until Rallyboss Steve McD passes out. If you're late and he's already snoring, bummer for you.

12 (edited by sah298 2016-04-24 01:11 PM)

As of today, no problems with any of the HQ hotels but the one in Santa Cruz.  It's full.  The Fireside Inn in SC still has some rooms, but they're getting low on their less expensive ones.  It's close to HQ and more reasonable than most.  According to hotels.com, almost everything they list less than $150 is over 20 miles away, but it's not showing anywhere near everything.  You have to get out to Morgan Hill or San Jose to get down to $100 according to the hotels.com list.  The Best Western in Bakersfield is getting low, but everything else was showing plenty of rooms.  The Golden Nugget in LV is pretty cheap.

Formula None
Because Saab Turbos have too much power
Inexplicably OC @ Humidi TT 2014

Cant we just room up with drivers we don't know, lol :-)

Just got all the hotels on the list. That Santa Cruz one was bad. Thank god for frequent stayer points. It was free and upgraded for me.

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

T0ASTERvan wrote:

My Question: Are campgrounds off limits during this event?..

if the campground operators have any sense at all, yes.

Anyone else just going to sleep in their cars?

jimmystikx wrote:

Anyone else just going to sleep in their cars?

If I could make it this year...I would be.  Me and the pup and a cooler of  fine beer...and a bug zapper.

If I bring the aztek, with the optional camping package (tent over back and air mattress inflated with onboard air copressor), can I borrow someones room after they are done to grab a quick shower? I'll buy you beer!

Brian Gomez
2018 Great Lakes Mistake Dune Buggy Thing - 2018 Retreat from Moscow: 1979 Lemons Chevette - 2017 Retreat from Moscow: 1978 Ford Fairmont Futura - 2016 Hell On Wheels Car Weeeeeaaaaaaaakkkk: 2003 Pontiac Aztek Breaking Bad!

briangomez wrote:

If I bring the aztek, with the optional camping package (tent over back and air mattress inflated with onboard air copressor), can I borrow someones room after they are done to grab a quick shower? I'll buy you beer!

Ya know, you can probably take an old compression tester and cut the gauge off and extend the hose so it will reach head height. Just remove one spark plug, thread it in, and fire up the engine. It'll run on the other cylinders. The blown head gasket you suffer after Day1 will allow you to have your own built-in hot shower.

Is anyone else thinking of just checking in at Fallon and then bombing on down to Vegas?  It looks like it's only a six hour drive and I'm sure our chances of being abducted by aliens at night in the high desert is lower than Da Gubbernant would want us to think. 

Vegas > Fallon.

Oh, you're planning to get to Fallon in time to still be able to do something? I'm thinking that getting to Fallon will be a whole day's work. Maybe a day and a night. you never know.

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

I'm not expecting to have designated route choices that stick to interstates. Or even necessarily roads. My group's expecting that the day's driving and challenges will be a day's worth of driving and challenges, if that makes sense. "Challenges" includes unpredicted roadside repairs, junkyard diving, etc.