1 (edited by Mcloed 2016-08-03 12:44 PM)

Topic: Saying goodbye to the AstroTurf covered Kia Sephia

https://s31.postimg.org/4pe9z453v/20160130_141914.jpg

In 1998 the Kia was born and for the first 14 years of her life she led a very mundane family life existence. In her middle age she found a foster home with the Jimmie Johnson pit crew. They pumped new life into the car by making it a race car. From there she continued her life with Mock Grass racing where she became a steady mainstay, racing in the 24 Hours of Lemons Racing. During this period of her life she ran 16 races and started the uneventful career of several current drivers. She won “C” class and was moved to “B” where she was performing in the upper 50%. Recently she was racing at Atlanta Motorsports park where she was mortally wounded during a crash caused by brake failure. She was transported to Columbia and was kept on life support for 6 weeks until a thorough evaluation could be made. An attempt was made to straighten the frame but during the process it was determined that the damage was just to extensive and the best for her was to put her down. With a tear in my eye the plug was pulled on the Astroturf Kia. Although she no longer lives she has become an organ donor. So let us remember the good times that we all had with the AstroTurf Kia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJYGwT-CftE

https://s32.postimg.org/kn0hbka45/20160619_145343.jpg

https://s31.postimg.org/y5tw1jbh7/20160619_145525.jpg

https://s31.postimg.org/r3vyfc7vf/20160621_201856.jpg

A few stats about the AstroTurf Kia:

• 16 total races - 12 in Lemons, 2 in Chump, and 2 in WRL

• 7 different engines

• Engines installed 10 times

• 26 drivers

• 4 Tracks in 4 states

• 2 transmissions

• 1 win of Class C

Remembering the Good times with the Astroturf Kia.

Bringing it home
https://s31.postimg.org/qfn3we95n/IMG_1915.jpg

First Race
https://s31.postimg.org/wzpw2qn6j/599395_10150916425836750_733945510_n.jpg

Steering wheel comes off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXTqVkbqki8

Contact with Toyoto Hulix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVTqototAzQ

Car getting rolled by some Alabama fans on 1st trip to Barber
https://s31.postimg.org/hs9widvbv/1798585_10151843679911750_1068648609_n.jpg

Mock Grass Racing                                                                     Slower Traffic, Keep Right
2017 - Introduction of the Kia Amanti; 2016 - Killed the Car at WRL
2015 - 4 Races, finished all; 2014 - Barber, Blew 2 Engines; CMP, Class C winner
2013 - CMP, Blew engine; CMP, Engine Overheated 2012 - CMP, FInished; CMP, Blew Engine

Re: Saying goodbye to the AstroTurf covered Kia Sephia

My sincere condolences. May she rest in peace (or pieces).

RetroRacing-1973 Super! Beetle
Nine Finger Drifters- 1982 te72 Toyota Corolla Wagon (BEAMS PWRD!)
My one man show: G. D. Yo-Man: No! YOU Ams Da A&&hole!
2010 CMP Fall-Judges' Choice, 2014 Barber-DFL and I Got Screwed!, 3X- You Talk Shit Better Than You Race (YTSBTYR) Award, 2017 NCM- IOE (thanks, Speedy!), 2018 Inde-Heroic Fix, 2019 Inde-Winner C Class

She's being put out to pasture, pun intended

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

Sorry to hear, minion racing will miss you guys.  We maybe interested in some parts for our 90 protege...shameless plug

Def. Failure (n) - a pessimistic view of success.

I'm sorry for your loss........

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

I am truly sorry to see this, was looking forward to seeing it again at CMP in September...

- Allan

Enjoyed hearing about the first time you raced it, and forgot to cut the turf over the gas cap door!

Fritz

Dahlinboysracing W/Frankenphil  '11 Crown Royal Vic SPWV 73 '12 Tom Sellecka Toyota NJMP 75 SPWV 43 NHMS 65, '13  Toylaren Monticello 120, Daytona 102, SPWV  83 HF! NJMP 41 NHMS 48th '14 Fireball  Integra NJMP 24th NJMP 18th NHMS 90th '15 NJMP 54th Daytona 33RD SPWV 4th Thompson  79th CMP 13th '16 NJMP 43 Thompson 21 CMP 32nd NHMS 24 '17 FB Integra NJMP 68 Cledus Snow Eldorado IGS 118, NCM 24

dahlinboysracing wrote:

Enjoyed hearing about the first time you raced it, and forgot to cut the turf over the gas cap door!

We where also so excited to get out on track that we forgot to put the hood pins in during practice lap and broke the windshield, and spend friday afternoon trying to put in a new one.

With the amount of problems that we had at our 1st race its amazing that we continued.

Mock Grass Racing                                                                     Slower Traffic, Keep Right
2015 - 4 Races, finished all; 2014 - Barber, Blew 2 Engines; CMP, Class C winner
2013 - CMP, Blew engine; CMP, Engine Overheated 2012 - CMP, FInished; CMP, Blew Engine

That picture of Jay on the roof ended up in the grass roots motorsports pages, along with a news story on it at Barber when it had the Alabama/LSU college teams on it and some mysterious group came in and toilet paper rolled it Hmmmm wonder who would do such a thing........

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

Time to start on KIA 2.0

http://image.slidesharecdn.com/buidlingasocialstyelguide-140919124335-phpapp02/95/buidling-a-social-styelguide-like-the-six-million-dollar-man-2-638.jpg?cb=1411130776

Sorry to hear the old girl has now moved on to greener pastures, but what's next?  Are you going to continue and build another car? 

When our old Prelude finally died we sold most of our stuff for pennies on the dollar and decided to get out of racing.  My wife was shocked and said "What?  Quit racing?  You LOVE racing, so why can't you just build another car?"  Two months later we are looking for cars and by years end we had a new one under construction.

Get another car man!  You can call this one "Field of Dreams"...err or maybe Nightmares!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Sorry for your loss, Kyle.  (Been there, done that!)

I enjoyed having my way with her this Feb at Barber, it was a fun car, and a fun team.

Hope you stumble upon another joy filled car to love!

Steve Burns
Ottawa, IL

Hey Kyle,

Sorry to see her go. It was a great car.

Going to miss seeing the Kia (..and offloading my old parts...)

You guys had some good times:
http://i.imgur.com/41GpwSb.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX2_ESir3Js

Let us know how we can help with the next car, til then, come race with Knoxvegas!

Knoxvegas Lowballers  Metro SVT, Multi-Powertrain-Van, The Hooptiecorn
2013 - Heroic Fix, Judge's Choice, Heroic Fix       2014 - IOE,Class-C Win
2015- Judge's Choice, Class B Win,Class A/Overall Win     2016- Org. Choice, B

Sad to have been the one driving when she died sad She was better than I ever thought a Kia could be, so forgiving and so fun to drive. And she kept me as safe and sound as any car could be expected to when the brakes failed at >100mph, which I will forever be thankful for.

On the bright side, I'm glad Kyle will be joining us in the Knoxvegas Hoopticorn and won't be missing CMP!

David Black - Knoxvegas Lowballers - '98 Ford Contour Hoopticorn

dahlinboysracing wrote:
We where also so excited to get out on track that we forgot to put the hood pins in during practice lap and broke the windshield, and spend friday afternoon trying to put in a new one.

Ha ha ha, we did that too! By some stroke of luck, someone had brought a parts Celica, sold us the windsheild, and we got it out with out breaking it!

Fritz

Dahlinboysracing W/Frankenphil  '11 Crown Royal Vic SPWV 73 '12 Tom Sellecka Toyota NJMP 75 SPWV 43 NHMS 65, '13  Toylaren Monticello 120, Daytona 102, SPWV  83 HF! NJMP 41 NHMS 48th '14 Fireball  Integra NJMP 24th NJMP 18th NHMS 90th '15 NJMP 54th Daytona 33RD SPWV 4th Thompson  79th CMP 13th '16 NJMP 43 Thompson 21 CMP 32nd NHMS 24 '17 FB Integra NJMP 68 Cledus Snow Eldorado IGS 118, NCM 24

Sorry to see an experienced car be retired.  It's a tough thing giving up on a car (our Geo loss was tough).

Keep the memory alive with an AstroTurf __________ ?

How was racing WRL with a Kia?

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

That was scary to watch.  Hard impact for sure.  So what are the details on what happened with the brakes?  How was your driver?  How is the Miata driver?

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Keep the memory alive with an AstroTurf __________ ?

How was racing WRL with a Kia?

I may do another grass covered car, but I don't know yet.  Still haven't figured out what my next step will be.

WRL was fun.  We where the slow car out there, but there wasn't very many cars there,so its kinda amazing that we hit another car.

VKZ24 wrote:

That was scary to watch.  Hard impact for sure.  So what are the details on what happened with the brakes?  How was your driver?  How is the Miata driver?

Actually haven't looked at them. I've been trying to figure out if the car was fixable or not.  But I would guess that something in the right rear brake drum broke, cause the back right wheel was covered in brake fluid.

Driver was fine, just a little sore.  Driver of the other car walked off track and left the car, so I guess he was fine too.  Wrecker didn't know where to take the car so just dropped it in the parking lot.  We later saw them drive the car to the trailer.

Ah, man. I didn't realize this car had such a storied racing history, heh. Great little car. Loved the grass.

We have a nice Chief frame machine at the Duff Beer HQ. I'm pretty sure it could pull that thing back in to shape without too much effort. It has to work to pull full-frame trucks, but the unibody stuff pulls really easily.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

rmcdaniels wrote:

We have a nice Chief frame machine at the Duff Beer HQ. I'm pretty sure it could pull that thing back in to shape without too much effort. It has to work to pull full-frame trucks, but the unibody stuff pulls really easily.

We have already put it on a frame machine to pull it out, but the damage is too bad and Kia must have put some weak medal in the frames.  As they were pulling it out the medal was ripping.  They almost pulled the whole frame off the front of the car.

That's too bad. Any idea what car is next?

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!