Topic: Who's bringing what?

For the inevitable breakdowns, I thought we should start of list of who's bringing what tools.

I've got:
A 4 ton low profile floor jack

2 four ton jack stands

A digital multimeter

A tow strap

Jump box

A 12v air compressor.

Tire plug kit

Assorted metric and standard hand tools

What've you got?

That guy that likes the Oldsmobile Diesel for some reason.

Re: Who's bringing what?

plumbers tape, for when you gotta change a starter and that bitch weighs 40 pounds.  smile

6 quarts of oil, donated by a friend. Several gallons of water, for the radiator. Several more for the humans. Several more for the swamp cooler.

A few misc old hand tools. Some baling wire. A spare tire that fits 5 lug 4.5" bolt circle. A lug wrench. Maybe a jack, maybe not. A couple old lawn chairs. Bars Leak for the 57 year old radiator.

A typewriter. Just in case. I wonder if the old typewriter stand will fit in the car? The Edsel's trunk is kind of large, but it is already over half full.

A few cameras. And some film. Because someone has to take photographs. A couple maps.

Lots of 8 track tapes. The tape splicer. A spare 8 track player. And the CB, of course.

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

AAA membership and credit cards.   smile

Actually, I'm taking most of the stuff in the first post, without the jump box, but adding my kit of electrical repair supplies, extra oil & ATF, JB-KWIK, a gas can, and several jugs of water.   Also a Harbor Freight moving pad for when I have to get under the car and don't want to get dirty or burned from hot pavement.

Oh, and a coil of bailing wire.

Alan

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

is anyone taking water pumps, distributors or spare parts of any kind?

The closest spare water pump is in England, there are only two or three places in the US that have spare distributors (at terribly high prices), and the car doesn't exist in any auto parts store database.   Yep, I'm all ready.

Alan

I was thinking about adding a spare condenser to my goody collection. And I have a spare universal ignition switch, that I needed because the ign switch broke in the parking lot of a parts store, and it was only $10...then I healed the original switch, and removed the new one. Might come in handy as a wheel chock, or something.

i'm bringing a decent fractional-inch tool set (3/8 socket set, 1/4..15/16 combo wrenches, etc etc), critical spares (3psi electric fuel pump, some cooling system parts, special stuff), plus misc hardware and electrical parts, automotive DVM, roll of baling wire, some chemicals (JB weld, ultra grey RTV, brake fluid), ratchet strap, hand tire pump (i have air springs), towels. hitchhikers guide to the galaxy is correct, towels kick ass. beats laying on 160F asphalt. mucho water (for drinking and handouts to non-desert folk). i'm also bringing my cot and sleeping bag and a tarp. i guess i'll toss in jumper cables. i will likely get paranoid at the last minute and add spare engine block, 9000 lbs of rusty bolts, 11 jack stands, and other loose objects that will rattle around in the trunk but never get used.

paper maps, locus map for phone (aesthetically displeasing but works offline), Xiaomi Yi action camera, mounted, clip board, blue masking tape, binder clips (lurching for route sheets circulating in cockpit gales cause severe road wander and invites death). 8000 mAh USB (thanks for the tip david) for the consumer electronics (tho i have USB power in car). flashlights (two) plus batteries. canned japanese coffee. modafinil and aspirin. maybe some scotch. cash.

hmm i have no (car) jack at all, i spoze i should buy a light one. dammit. my steel one is heavy, and so ugly it embarrasses me. i stopped carrying a spare tire years ago from lack of need (famous last words).

i'm open to suggestions.

rambler used the same wheel bolt pattern as ford back then, didn't they?

squirrel wrote:

rambler used the same wheel bolt pattern as ford back then, didn't they?

yup. 5 by 4.5". i had Stockton Wheel make me up 16" x 7" steelies (unlike old factory wheels, they are actually ROUND) with stock setback/offset, and they fit perfectly on my '98 Mustang rear that's now in the car.

edsel's the same, right? is it lefthand lugnuts on the drivers side?

normal lug nuts. Ford didn't do that weird stuff...I don't think...

Bringing a spare qt of castrol, plenty of water, pack of zip ties, roll of duct tape, and AAA card. I start adding spares and I'll lose space for a passenger. I used to bring enough stuff to rebuild the whole car at roadside. Never needed any of it except a hose clamp a Few years ago...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Duct tape.  Bailing wire. Hammer.  Screwdriver.

With that, we can fix anything.

I would highly recommend Rescue Tape !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOF2II-6moc

Last weekend at the Demolition Derby we sprung a huge leak on our 60 PSI fuel rail! We've had this Rescue Tape in the RV for years but with out ever using it we didn't have much faith in it. We gave it a shot and it worked. Even on a fuel rail it held for 4 races!

We plan to have a roll in every glove box we own !

squirrel wrote:

6 quarts of oil, donated by a friend. Several gallons of water, for the radiator. Several more for the humans. Several more for the swamp cooler.

A few misc old hand tools. Some baling wire. A spare tire that fits 5 lug 4.5" bolt circle. A lug wrench. Maybe a jack, maybe not. A couple old lawn chairs. Bars Leak for the 57 year old radiator.

A typewriter. Just in case. I wonder if the old typewriter stand will fit in the car? The Edsel's trunk is kind of large, but it is already over half full.

A few cameras. And some film. Because someone has to take photographs. A couple maps.

Lots of 8 track tapes. The tape splicer. A spare 8 track player. And the CB, of course.

Carrier pigeon to deliver typewritten messages?

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Type44 wrote:

Carrier pigeon to deliver typewritten messages?

Carrier pigeon to eat while waiting to be rescued.

AN/TT-41 facsimile machine

http://www.virhistory.com/navy/rtty/fax/fax-xmt-01.JPG

Just the basics, and 10 gallons of diesel.....

jimmystikx wrote:

10 gallons of diesel.....

diesel?

I have the car pretty much loaded up....a few more things I have....

20' chain
hatchet
hack saw
small hydraulic bottle jack
little box of misc hardware
Oscilloscope. Yes, it's old and has lots of vacuum tubes in it, but it did work when I tried it tonight
kinda small 120v inverter

o'scope? diesel? what's going on here?

Long drive, we need something to keep us occupied.

I loaded the Super Snipe today with lots of water, tools, spare fuel filters, camping supplies, fluids, and electrical repair stuff.   There is just enough room for me and my clothes.   I plan to leave Los Angeles about 6:30 AM Monday.   That's about nine hours from now.

We've got the cooler and will have it stocked! Donations accepted! Stop by for...
H20
PBR
Dew
Misc!

Brian Gomez
2018 Great Lakes Mistake Dune Buggy Thing - 2018 Retreat from Moscow: 1979 Lemons Chevette - 2017 Retreat from Moscow: 1978 Ford Fairmont Futura - 2016 Hell On Wheels Car Weeeeeaaaaaaaakkkk: 2003 Pontiac Aztek Breaking Bad!

25 (edited by Shvd_Box 2016-08-14 09:46 PM)

I've got a cooler with water, coors light (for when you want flavored water), and some gatorade... I also have a a couple rolls of painters tape... That's the extent of the prep work we've done.

Hell On Wheels "Totally Not a Rental Car" Chrysler 300
Retreat From Moscow "Traded a Bar Tab for a Wagon" Subaru Legacy
Monterey Car Weeeeak -Dishonorable Mention- "Cocoa Beach A.S.S. Team" Oldsmobile Wagon
Fail Inc Motorsports Intergalactic Headquarters