Topic: Lemony fresh repainting

So my team is a bunch of slackers and we have run 4 races without a theme.  I'm going to do a repaint of our now multicolor car (from replacing body panels) with a base coat and a bunch of vinyl stickers and other ornaments.  The question I have is, what is the laziest and cheapest approach I can use that will look ok?  I had pretty much settled on a quick pass with a 180 grit orbital and then using rustoleum (the type you get in gallon cans) and spraying it on.  My questions are these.  Can I get away with not priming if I sand off the clear? What thinner and ratios work well and is enamel hardener a good idea?  FWIW, I have a garage with curtains hung for spraying and can leave the car in there for as long as it takes to do multiple coats and appropriate drying time.

Thanks,
-Sandow

Re: Lemony fresh repainting

No primer needed if you just use cheap exterior latex paint.  Problem solved.

+1 for cheap exterior latex.  We just finished painting our car a couple weeks ago.  We did sand down some very high spots, e.g. old stickers that had been painted over a few times, but we didn't sand the entire car.  We also lazily primed the car with exterior primer.  I mean lazily too, we basically just poured it out of the can onto the car and spread it around a bit.  The only reason we did that was because part of our theme uses white paint, otherwise we wouldn't have bothered with the primer.

Captain, For Parts Only (Team FPO)
#111 VW Golf - Currently Orange with tiger stripes (Calvin and Hobbes theme)

OnkelUdo wrote:

Applied with roller?

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

If you've got a decent air compressor you can get a $13 Harbor Freight paint gun and spray it in a hurry. If not Rustoleum and a foam roller is a popular option.

6 (edited by billybobster 2016-08-26 04:19 PM)

I didn't do the painting, but as I recall - roughup with ScotchBrite pad (edit - or maybe sandpaper), Rustoleum (edit - w/Japan Dry) with roller. There's also the Lemons On Track Paint Swatch Exchange Program where you can swap colors with other cars for exciting new color schemes.

(edit - I blame LeMony fumes for my memory failings)

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

I found that rolling/painting on the Rustoleum as gloss paint worked for my wheels but when I tried to go for the matte black look, it turned out looking like shit (very faded, almost grey despite sanding, experimenting with various thinning agents, and >3 coats).

I then switched to latex paint (flat black for $16/Gal compared to $8/qt for rustoleum) and never looked back. For the last race when I went to a glossy sky blue, I went into the local paint store and asked them what latex paint they had on special. They sold me 1 gal of glossy exterior latex for $20 (clearance price) and tinted it whatever color I wanted. I sanded the black off a bit and rolled this stuff on with a foam roller.

Unless you've got some glorious car where the whole car itself is a theme (see: Faster Farms Rambler), please Libarace up for your next race and come up with a halfway decent theme.
-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

I'm a HUGE fan of Rustoleum for Lemons cars. Decent assortment of colors and easy to work with. 

Scuff up everything you intend to paint with 120 (or 180 if you really want to impress).  Prime the bare metal.  Thin paint 50% with acetone (or some guys like Japan Dry) and spray.  I use Husky-brand HVLP from Home depot.

Here's my most recent re-theme job...

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/cars-that … 1769541984

Two coats is plenty.  Give yourself plenty of dry time, because the shit takes FOREVER to cure.  You can still leave a dent with your fingernail a week later.  If you can, park it out in the sun and let it bake.  Once its cured, its hard as nails.

Good stuff.

Bad Mojo Racing
1971 Opel GT "Breadvan"
2012 - April Gingerman (Ercole Spada Award) and October AutoBahn (19th in Class B, 52nd OA )
2013 - April Gingerman (8th in Class B, 25th OA) and June AutoBahn (WINNER Class B, 9th OA)

9 (edited by NSF 2016-08-26 02:34 PM)

Go to Lowes - they always have an area of screwed up paint that didn't match up on color.  That works in a pinch.

I've mixed the hammered paint with thinner and regular rustoleum.  It came out better than expected.

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LSF12/037-LSF12-UG.jpg

Here's a close up of the hammered paint.  It worked really well. 
http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LSF12/039-LSF12-UG.jpg

This space for rent.

Brett85p wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

Applied with roller?

Cheapest 12-pack of foam rollers you can find.

Any tips for making paint stick to plastic?
The plastic in question is this http://cmwraceparts.com/proddisp.php?pn=CAP93081-10

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Brett85p wrote:

Any tips for making paint stick to plastic?
The plastic in question is this http://cmwraceparts.com/proddisp.php?pn=CAP93081-10

Not the same, but on the Saturn we bothered to use Rustoleum plastic plastic primer (also rolled on) before the Latex.  Never the peeling problem we had with the plastic-not-fantastic van.  Of course, we consider the peeling "character" but others might be annoyed.

NSF wrote:

Go to Lowes - they always have an area of screwed up paint that didn't match up on color.  That works in a pinch.

I've mixed the hammered paint with thinner and regular rustoleum.  It came out better than expected.

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LSF12/037-LSF12-UG.jpg

Here's a close up of the hammered paint.  It worked really well. 
http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LSF12/039-LSF12-UG.jpg

Seriously loving the hammered look.  I had wanted to do some kind of distressing anyway but that nails it.  Did you mix in the hammered grey with royal blue? I'm going for something bluer than that but not that far off.  How much can you dilute the hammered pain before the effect just looks like orange peal? lol

Think I'll do some test painting on an old fender...

-Sandow

I recall about 40 paint x 40 hammered x 20 thinner.

This space for rent.

We also Added some varnish

This space for rent.

NSF wrote:

We also Added some scotch

man i have just about perfected the CHEAP paint job on everything from my dump trucks to 40ft storage /shipping containers....

Paint... industrial enamel   most commercial paint places have it alot of times mis-tints in 5gal pails as cheap as $5 a gallon  if not places like tractor supply have gloss enamel tractor paint $25 gallon

most thin with mineral spirits

prep at the very least wipe down a clean car with lacquer thinner wipe everything down well if you want the paint to stick

spray  you can use a cheap harbor freight gun  hell i use a airless rig made for painting buildings   most of the time thin about 25% to spray  spray several light coats keeping the gun even and do not arc the gun keep a wet edge...  then on the LAST coat HOT COAT IT....  reduce the paint 50/50 with thinner and about 10% penatrol     and shoot a light wet coat this will let all the edges blend and give you a high gloss hard finish... i do this usually OUTSIDE on ground I have wetted/watered in the sun is best takes about 30 min total to lay the paint down and a full day to dry... if you can come up with some cheap paint hardener to mix in 9ASK SOME BODYSHOPS IF THEY HAVE SOME OLD 1/4 CANS AROUND...  the hardener with make it dry faster and harder... use hardener in every coat if you have it

SECOND option... by sign vinyl off ebay  50yd rolls 12' WIDE   are cheap  and you can just WRAP it... in 12' passes

p

I sprayed this 66% rustoleum, 33% acetone, 1% hardener, and it dried pretty much overnight.  Rustoleum FTW.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/12994536_10100451593781089_3669939525629705787_n.jpg?oh=7e024db03d995accda50f3de398d2e22&oe=5838FB18

-Nathan - Team Captain, Priority Fail Racing
1997 Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine

Tractor paint....thinned with mineral spirits one third and shot with a cheap spray gun from fleet and farm...

I watched a lot of Dukes of Hazzard as a kid...

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

20 (edited by ninjacoco 2016-08-27 11:05 PM)

I'm a big fan of Arts and Crafts time with house paint and my Porsche. Haha. Seriously, that. Only caveat: glitter finishes need to be smoothed over with some kind of sealant or they just devolve into sparklemange. (I need to redo my stripes on the 944.)

Spank wrote:
NSF wrote:

We also Added some "scotch"

(Also, holy crap, gorgeous Merc.)

I started with Rustoleum mixed with mineral spirits to thin. Then I switched to Ace Hardware's knockoff "Rust Stop" which is thinner than Rustolum. I can't remember if it even needed thinning. I sprayed it with an electric fence sprayer. 80 grit sandpaper prep and a quick wipe down. hasn't lifted or peeled yet.

For numbers and decals I razor cut plotter paper traced with the help of an old projector and laptop. Then hit it with 3M spray adhesive, stick it on and rattle can.

Low Road Racing:  Stylemaster/Mustang II/Sunbird/Spirit AMX

We will not compromise our morals and build anything but a class C car.
"You take the high road, we'll take the low."

I had been using Fast Signs for vinyl decals that I use as sand blasting resists.  When I asked them for 24" decals to use on the car they quoted me $270 at which point I just bought a 34" vinyl cutter off eBay for $300.  Quality is surprisingly good even on small details and it only took a half hour to put together and get tuned for the right cut depth pressure and speed.  Software is good too so I was cutting my designs in no time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281910397159?_t … EBIDX%3AIT

-Sandow

This is my fender that I painted, all kinds of stuff happening on it. I made up the base with a PPG Omni Victory red with some pearl added to it, I then based over it with some Hobby Lobby red glitter followed by three coats of shop line cheap clear. I sanded it and recleared it using a Glamour clear last night. To Much?

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14212194_1375650499130199_1197509957840179552_n.jpg?oh=75b1dfcc9e2624f037191d1ea0def8df&oe=58387B4F

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

So Sparkly!   I like it!   It reminds me of one of those bass fishing boats with the 200hp outboard...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Q0OHL8B8nLz9C4ZF0xGBdGsalewlcS18RDsmh5ENmqkMUWycask-Y7B1XYA0iIpXUBvhMGXPz33tunbmJSOv_P4vIQLRB5QPe417gsYDt-bHIaQ69QNkDutop1VrhM9Gal03FZK0NIscCMML3-IW_XzkXCmI35kwnozdXcEGZAAey2UNaybAv9BicAnr8Hl24FRVB36rL7MPJtp_pgYsznHzddJozBaWJ3LtmJFbPipHffIf-9bflwQYAKaZ22GCmZt2IdeDp1nihhbHkLwWCD9IEYB9FiiInoi3ibqZ7oqL79NAMn2nD6tYsWjpbn840SGQnuQ1W7gM3QftJ3kG-JFruoska_kL48o6kVegRG6doad75gvWGUKN8SvieiKSQNegyNnsQV6vbJZP9ooh3T6fzcYxpre9gt08m1biqHNr8_382MvDNXh-kKjDR5E2ypybwAqvL2-F0m9-ViuW8uytLTfEehdsr9bK6LsPOz-imInXc5cuyToR0i9eeNWEkPVzZPDYOjHLFN1GW0OH7mmvAa-HdOyrZ2REwmJUAyJIPxNLuEv863uubV6EiskNQxLETAXDBvk054vndmkhqFnpBHqSphRsUCPAhKRXIvdP0Ddf=w612-h346-no

On the opposite end of the Sparkly spectrum, here is a close up preview of our exterior house paint applied with $1 paint brushes (who can afford rollers when we're busy sourcing exotic VW parts?!)

Captain, For Parts Only (Team FPO)
#111 VW Golf - Currently Orange with tiger stripes (Calvin and Hobbes theme)