Topic: Recommendations for a Suit

I am two races in and now looking to get a full gear setup of my own.  I have rented from Race Suit Rentals for the last two races and I am very happy with the quality of their gear.  Does anyone have recommendations for gear sets of similar quality.  Here are some suits I have been looking at

Suit (Ideally sub $400, can up if there is something on sale or much higher value)
Sparco Prima M-3
G-Force GF545
Sparco Sprint 6
Sparco Jade 2 (looks like a much lower teir suit aka hotter)

As for the other gear, I'm not committed on anything.  Focusing on the suit first, then the helmet. 

Helmet
RaceQuip - Not sure what model yet

Shoes
RaceQuip - 303 series

Golves
Not sure yet

How is the quality of the Lemons kits compared to the RSR rental sets?

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

Re: Recommendations for a Suit

Have you looked at www.raceimage.com for used NASCAR and such suits? Really nice suits for cheap (relative to buying new, of course). Whatever you get, make sure it's a 3-layer.

Spend a few bucks and don't get a cheap suit that you will hate down the road......most of our team is bidding time so to purchase a multilayer suit.

OK, I am the ultimate cheapskate and bought the "good enough" kit from the Lemons store.  It really is good enough IF:

You drive...and do not do much else (sitting around in it is a pain and slapping it on quickly to fuel is pain)
You are relatively or very heat tolerant (I do not find it any warmer than most of the multi-layer suits but it is pain to get on and off,etc)

I still suffer with mine in the summer but our other two races a year I do not mind it as much.  Still annoying when you have do a quick repair suited up because you are lounging around in it before or after your stint.

I also am not vain so I plan to cheap out with my upgrade and use Race Image to get a mismatched two piece that also does not match my shoes or gloves...just because I can.

FYI, Racing Suit Rentals does (or at least used to) offer to sell you their gear after rental.  MY guess is if you arrange that plan with them ahead of time on the phone, they might send you one of their older suits that they were about to rotate out anyway and work a discount for you and profit for them in the result.

OnkelUdo wrote:

OK, I am the ultimate cheapskate and bought the "good enough" kit from the Lemons store.  It really is good enough IF:

You drive...and do not do much else (sitting around in it is a pain and slapping it on quickly to fuel is pain)
You are relatively or very heat tolerant (I do not find it any warmer than most of the multi-layer suits but it is pain to get on and off,etc)

I still suffer with mine in the summer but our other two races a year I do not mind it as much.  Still annoying when you have do a quick repair suited up because you are lounging around in it before or after your stint.

I also am not vain so I plan to cheap out with my upgrade and use Race Image to get a mismatched two piece that also does not match my shoes or gloves...just because I can.

FYI, Racing Suit Rentals does (or at least used to) offer to sell you their gear after rental.  MY guess is if you arrange that plan with them ahead of time on the phone, they might send you one of their older suits that they were about to rotate out anyway and work a discount for you and profit for them in the result.

One of my teammates talked to them about that.  They said that they never sell used suits.  Maybe its a new policy, my teammate was able to buy a suit that they had on surplus at a very reduced rate.  I am going to contact them about that, to see if they have any more. 

I am probably going to go for something a touch nicer than the better kit from Lemons.  I looked at Raceimage, but I am not really interested in used gear, even if the use was very minimal.  You just do know know the history of the item.

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

I started with the Sparco Jade, and it is heavy and thick.  Great for December, but hell in July.  I found a great buy at speedway motors on a new, but old model Alpinestars GP Tech suit ($1,500 suit for $500). Incredible difference.

If you can find your size, the discounts are sometimes amazing.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Shop/Raci … le%20Items

Three Year Multiple Lemons Loser,
2013 Arse Freeze Apalooza - Class B Winner,
2015 Vodden the Hell are we Doing - IOE Winner

The cost/comfort is directly proportional on racing suits.  For Lemons I originally had single layer Proban suit and it was crap.  I had a entry level 3 layer Nomex suit and it was like wearing a heavy old cotton sleeping bag.  I borrowed a $2600 suit one time and it was niiiiice.  Made you feel like you were strolling through the Waldorf Astoria lobby in your tailored silk suit.  But what I bought was a year end closeout 3 layer G-Force Pro lightweight suit a couple years ago.  You see all those people wandering around the Lemons paddock in yellow  G-Force suits?  Yep, a bunch of other people besides me bought them.  A lot nicer than a lot of the G-Force stuff and I think I paid $149-179 (somewhere in there) for it brand new.  If you can wait until after the racing season, there are more deals.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

+1 for race image, if I didn't know the suit was used I would have never been able to tell otherwise.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

The GF545 is actually a really good suit. It's very light and stretchy, and breathes well. I bought one this season to replace my cheap suit and have been ecstatic with it. It's so much more comfortable than my old suit, I was standing around Charlotte last week in it in the brutal heat for over an hour and I did not die. I would have definitely died in my old suit.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Yeah I would say cheaper is better - I can't imagine buying a suit worth more than the car. Got mine on craigslist believe it or not.

They Call me RAD CARL -This is all i know

11 (edited by TrenchFoot 2016-08-22 12:47 PM)

+2 for Raceimage.

My Puma 1-piece feels used only in that it's got that softer, washed-a-dozen-times feel. I wouldn't hesitate to spend $250 on a used, professional grade suit that originally sold for $1000+ over a $250 new suit marketed towards the cost-conscious amateur.

Low Road Racing:  Stylemaster/Mustang II/Sunbird/Spirit AMX

We will not compromise our morals and build anything but a class C car.
"You take the high road, we'll take the low."

Buy the best suit you can afford. Don't skimp out on safety gear, the one time you need it you'll be wishing you that you hadn't cheaped out.
It's already been mentioned, but the nicer suites have better ratings and are more comfortable than the bargain basement ones.

I'm just as cheap as the rest of you. As such, I suggest waiting until the end of year clearance sales, it's generally easy to pick something up for half off.
Used suits  are another good option. An NASCAR suit would be a good investment; who knows you may even be able to outfit your team in snazzy Pepto Bismol gear for the cost of a single new suit.

I bought the "slightly better" suit from Lemons. It's heavy and hot, and the gloves weren't very nice either, but it does the job without the added thermal underwear. A cool shirt does wonders in the car, but I'm generally looking to get out of it as soon as I can when my stint's over.

I've since replaced the gloves with a better G-Force set (I forget the exact model) and plan to hit up RaceImage one of these days when I have extra money not being spent on cars themselves.

I'll pretty much echo what everyone else has said, you pay for what you get, and the cheaper suits are MUCH less comfortable.

I started out with the Lemons "slightly better" suit package, and it was decent.  I race in the midwest so the additional heat wasn't an issue for me.  But then again I'm used to being dressed as a mascot when I go to....ummm  ANYWAYS.

One of my team mates was one of the folks that scored on one of those cheap G force suits, and after seeing how much nicer it was I decided it was time to upgrade.  I picked up an OMP dart on sale for about $700, its an FIA rated suit, and light as a painters suit, I love it.

I'm still using the shoes and underwear from my Lemons package and I like them a lot.

Sana Claus got me new OMP sport gloves to match my suit and I recently picked up a new BELL helmet to replace my expired one.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!