Re: Whats causing my brake rotor shudder?

I'm getting 40+ race hours on my front ST43 pads on the 2750# (with driver) Supra. After a 12 hour race I have new rotors (cheap Centrics) resurfaced and it usually only takes one light pass to make them perfect again. I'm sure that some of this has to do with having larger rotors and calipers than OE and some good cooling ducts.

If you've found something that works in the XP24s then stick with it. ST43s are $230 for a front set, which I'm guessing is similar to the CT pads.

Peter St Pierre             #63 Hong Norrth "C" Supra
     5th Place: 2016 CMP Fall
     6th place: 2015 Autobahn 24 hour
     2nd place: 2014 CMP Fall : 17th place: 2014 CMP Southern Discomfort Spring

I have one thing to add.  Make sure all your drivers don't have the habit of holding the brakes when pitting.  Nothing will screw up a rotor faster then clamping hot pads on a hot rotor while sitting still.  If the car isn't moving stay off the brake pedal.

If it doesn't have 2 doors, 3 pedals, and 5 lug nuts per wheel - It isn't a real race car

A set of ST43s are exactly $100 cheaper than the $289 XP24s for my setup, hence my interest. I'll try them out one of these days, now that I'm confident I can fall back on something that I know works.

Its worth noting, I ordered a pair of ACDelco rotors, sort of hoping they would be an American casting. Unsurprisingly, the boxes came stamped "Made in China." So as far as I'm concerned running cheapo parts-store blank rotors is not an issue.

Anarchyjet wrote:

I have one thing to add.  Make sure all your drivers don't have the habit of holding the brakes when pitting.  Nothing will screw up a rotor faster then clamping hot pads on a hot rotor while sitting still.  If the car isn't moving stay off the brake pedal.

Good tip. After checker Saturday, we rotated the front tires left-right. I took the opportunity to spin them a couple times as they cooled.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

Basic stuff, but make sure you're not over-tightening the lugs.

Takata R&D :: 1993 Accord - team captain - rear drum brakes lol
GoPro 360 Heros :: BMW E28  - co-captain