1 (edited by ninjacoco 2016-09-22 09:49 PM)

Topic: Car storage for apartment dwellers?

Problem: where the crap do I keep my car?

My 944 has lived at the track forever, but I'm losing its parking space soon. They've got new carports, a long waiting list for said carports, and I've been mostly unable to go to the track and get on said waiting list for several months, so yeah. I've debated moving it anyway because I don't have as much time to go down there as I used to, and doing track days/race weekends when the car lives at a place that closes fairly early usually ends in me street parking a truck and trailer (not fun).

Before that, it was outside in a friend's yard. That at least was open after work when I needed to work on it, but it was outside, physically occupying a friend's space. Also not ideal.

I have one, singular, solitary carport space at home. That's where my daily lives. No, I am not street parking my daily driver. Every other carport is in use. Moving somewhere with multiple parking spaces and/or stupid land to deal with would cost more than it would for me to stay where I am and just rent separate space for the 944. Not a lot of garages in central Austin (BOOOOO), but I like where I live.

I don't know if garage/storage units let you work on a car there. There's a fancy car storage place that's tempting close to home, but IDK. I definitely couldn't work there, so there would be musical cars between the 944 and the daily driver whenever I had to work on the 944, which seems sort of doable. At least it's close.

But really, what do other apartment-types do with racecars? Is there a shared crapcan work/storage space in Austin that I don't know about? Do I need to break down and get one, and does anyone want to share?

Need to move the car soon before it fills back up with water and/or those weird mystery hornets that nest in the door sometimes. Help?

Re: Car storage for apartment dwellers?

Any maker spaces / hacker spaces in Austin? We have one in nashua called makeit labs, which has an auto plot that can be rented out on a weekly basis. Not a great long term solution, but it works when I need to get a lot of work done on the car in a small time frame. If you can find something similar then you might be able to grab a cheap storage place that doesn't allow work, and then bring the car to the maker space for doing work. Not really ideal, but doable.

I'm in an apartment now, but thankfully that comes with a driveway that I can fit 4 cars in. Two for me, two for my room mate.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

Any maker spaces / hacker spaces in Austin? We have one in nashua called makeit labs, which has an auto plot that can be rented out on a weekly basis. Not a great long term solution, but it works when I need to get a lot of work done on the car in a small time frame. If you can find something similar then you might be able to grab a cheap storage place that doesn't allow work, and then bring the car to the maker space for doing work. Not really ideal, but doable.

I'm in an apartment now, but thankfully that comes with a driveway that I can fit 4 cars in. Two for me, two for my room mate.

Heh, apparently there's one with its own Lemons car: http://atxhs.org/wiki/ATX_Hackerspace_2 … LeMons_Car

Probably not helpful, but I live in an apartment and rent a garage space at a friends house. However, another neon guy in the area who helps me out sometimes works out of a storage space on his car and doesn't seem to have a problem with it. It might be worth looking into, but you'd have to be careful about making sure you have power available.

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

Look at CL, rentals. I think it's parking and storage.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

6 (edited by ninjacoco 2016-10-05 08:18 AM)

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

Look at CL, rentals. I think it's parking and storage.

Oh my gosh! I see people with spots in my neighborhood, too. Time to see if anyone wants an eyesor--er, um, fine Porsche racing automobile.

ETA: AWWW YEAAAAH I found somewhere and it's got a garage clicker and everything. Score. That'll be neat. My crapcan is the only thing that gets good indoor storage, heh.

Well done!

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!