Topic: 72 Porsche 914 - what am I getting into?

Just looked at this, even the voices in my head are confused. Near had one, kind of wanted, after walking past the Easy 908/914 a hundred times last weekend went looking. Car has been sitting for a few years and looks it, not running but cranks and a fuel leak at pump. interior is shot, rest of car looks good. Only rust I can find in passenger floorboard along the rocker panel. Guy wants $500 for car, still owes the guy with title $500. I'd like it for the street, but if title falls through, track toy or Lemons. I am not a mechanic, but engine/trans swapped and built my Lemons car, and enjoy learning to be more of a mechanic.

Am I looking at a nice little project or a nightmare waiting to happen?

Debuting the Punisher F-Bomb at Arse-Freeze '12 - FAIL!   trying again at Button turrible '14,er '15, damn '16
Driver of Chris O's topless Honda Arse-sweat 24 '12 and sticker subaru '14
Rider of the Limo/Flatbed Combo  Arse-Freeze '11

Re: 72 Porsche 914 - what am I getting into?

Porsche /ˈpôrSH(ə)/

1. The German sports car manufacturer founded in 1931 and based in Stuttgart.

2. A nightmare

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

Awesome.

You are getting into awesome.

It's the most awesome.

Mid-engine makes it wacky, but we had a Type 4 (same engine with minor tweaks) sputtering along crappily forever. Check the oil often and short shift and it'll be fine for a long, long time (pending no major catastrophes).

You might be able to talk the guy with title down too

Well I bought the car. Going to get it Sat morning. Start trying to get a hold of the title, defunkify and clean, and assess the condition of car and what it needs.
I will post pics and make this a build thread so I can share my misery/joy with everyone.

First few weekends: Go through the car looking for rust and any damage that need to be repaired.

Replace all rubber hoses, lines, ect . Clean gas tank. and find out why pump is leaking and fix or replace.

Fuel injectors- I remember seeing an ad in GRM for a place that rebuilds injectors. Unless someone has a better idea, I'll send them out
Going to start  looking  for a book on the Bosch D-jetronic FI, so I have an idea what to look at when it doesn't work.

That should keep me busy for a bit.

Debuting the Punisher F-Bomb at Arse-Freeze '12 - FAIL!   trying again at Button turrible '14,er '15, damn '16

Doctor Injector.  There's one in Sacramento.  He's good.

Scott

Its been ages since I messed with D-Jet but the only thing that sticks with me is grounds.  Check and clean all grounds.  Bad grounds cause all kinds of transient problems.  Hard to remember but it seems like injectors want 29lbs of pressure or they act funny.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

OK, I really suck at this social media stuff.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x414/bfmako/20161015_111145%20-%20Copy%202.jpg

Spent the first few days going over it to get a better idea of what its going to need. Its is filthy, Looks like it has been siting under a tree or in a barn for years with somethings living in it.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x414/bfmako/20161015_111218%20-%20Copy%202.jpg

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x414/bfmako/20161015_111257%20-%20Copy.jpg

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x414/bfmako/20161015_111559%20-%20Copy.jpg

Have both seats, cloth is mostly gone, foam is rock hard and smells real bad, need full reupholstering. Carpet gone, dash is intact, but will nee to be redone.

Next couple of weeks:
Spend alot of time on 'net learning about these, what common problems are, what other people have done, get an idea of what I want to do.

My goal is to make a sporty daily driver. keep it close to original as reasonably possible. ( $400 dollars for an original rebuilt fuel pump vs $100 for new quality replacement). Original drive train unless there is something really wrong with it, then suby engine.

Start digging in to car, removing interior and crap to see what floor looks like, see what condition engine is in, examine body.

I put charger on new looking battery, pull plugs, they are new looking, as in out of box in engine, never ran. Not sure if thats good or bad. take fuel pump out to see whats leaking and see if I can fix it. Get a bad gas bath because lines are brittle and cracked everywhere( could this be the leak?) test pump, no leaks but make more noise then moves fluids. Decide on new pump and relocation.
Try compression test on engine- it    turns     slowly.  mess around with it for most of the night spare battery, clean connections, run wires directly to starter. still     turns     to      slow.  Not good.

Pull interior put, vacuum out the 2" deep mound of sand, leaves and who knows what else out and floor is not bad, but enough light showing on ground to be good. New floor pan.
Tear into the rocker panels, pull off outers, not too bad but could use replacements, driver iner ok, needs some patching, pass side alot more work, Constant rain of sand and rust make me afraid of whats underneath. At least its more sand the rust.

I decide to build the auto rotisserie I've been thinking about. That will keep me busy for the next several weekends.

Watch the "Hell Hole"

The Uni-Body under the battery mount (inner passenger rear wheel well) will likely be rotted through.

On a positive note I have a spare motor for a 914.

Has a progressive carb instead of the fuel system.

Havn't had it running but it turns fine.

Im in Pittsburgh PA

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

YESSSSSS!!!!!

think I have a spare set of seats for that thing.

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced