Topic: NEED HELP WITH KILL SWITCH on a VW Jetta

Ok I need help with this damn kill switch. I have a 2003 VW Jetta. I can't figure out how to kill the electrical through the kill switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Al

Re: NEED HELP WITH KILL SWITCH on a VW Jetta

Go to the Lemons store and buy this switch
http://store.24hoursoflemons.com/produc … switch.htm

http://cdn3.volusion.com/udhwr.cujds/v/vspfiles/photos/PYR-Kill-Switch-3T.jpg?1470134741

Now follow this diagram (Lemons store version uses 1 and 2, while other sources use Z and W, the one you buy will have the right diagram)

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/images/L/4430-TERMINALS-WIRING-2-1200w.jpg

Basically, on one side you want the battery positive terminal. On the other you want the positive feed to the rest of the car, the starter, the alternator, etc.

You then jumper that car side to the set of terminals labeled 1 (or W). On the other side of 1 (or W) you connect a large resistor that goes to ground. This set of terminals is disconnected when the switch is on. When you flip it off they connect and any power from the alternator is allowed to bleed off as the engine spins down.

For the set of terminals labeled 2 (or Z) find the wire that feeds 12V to your ignition switch. Usually a red wire. Cut it, and run the cut halves to these terminals. When the switch is on, they are connected. When you flip the switch they are disconnected and it's like turning your key off. The engine will stop.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Personally, I wouldn't mess around with the ignition coil if possible.  The purpose of the kill switch is to kill all electrical power to the engine. Interrupting the spark (coil) can quickly overheat your coil and doesn't technically do what the kill switch is otherwise trying to do on it's own... 

Killing your engine electrical source is really easy. There's two basic methods:

1.  Switching off the alternator field

2.  Engine / Chassis isolation

If your alternator looks like this:

http://www.fixya.com/uploads/images/3bf4534.jpg

Simply switch off the alternator field by interrupting the feed line using the smaller terminals on a four-post switch.

If you do not have a switchable alternator and instead are stuck with a fixed field (many high-end Bosch alternators use this approach, for reasons unknown to me...) you can simply isolate the engine and chassis electrical to one side of the kill switch and then run the battery and alternator output to the other. This can be achieved with a simple 2-post switch that can be bought for $20 at AutoZone.

However, the problem with this approach is that line going to the alternator will still be hot after the kill switch is shut off. It's not against the rules and will still pass tech, but switching the alternator field is a safer way to do it.

http://i.imgur.com/maHkxTt.jpg

The Pentastar whisperer

Bayley wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't mess around with the ignition coil if possible.  The purpose of the kill switch is to kill all electrical power to the engine. Interrupting the spark (coil) can quickly overheat your coil and doesn't technically do what the kill switch is otherwise trying to do on it's own...

I agree with not flipping the coil, which is why I said to instead switch the power wire to the ignition switch. Then when you flip the switch it's like turning the key off. This should do the same thing as you described controlling the alternator.

Wiring as I outlined above is the most thorough approach. First it isolates the battery from the rest of the system. That's good. Second it ensures the car turns off, since it mimics turning the key off. Third it allows any power from the alternator to dissipate so nothing is damaged. And then once the engine is spun down there is no more power from the alternator and you have truly isolated the chassis from power sources.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

We also need to consider if the VW has multiple coil packs... that presents a unique scenario for newer engines.

The take away from all this is that there are many ways to make this work.

Now if you want to see some emotions fly, ask people WHERE you should mount this kill switch.  big_smile

:popcorn:

The Pentastar whisperer

I'm wiring in a kill switch to a more modern engine right now that has individual coil packs on each plug. Part of the reason I go with switching the power feed to the ignition switch (aka where they key goes). If done how I outlined, it will work and be tech approved.

I agree there are a few ways to do it. Several make me nervous, like leaving it so the alternator is still hot with the battery after the switch is flipped. And oh god placement. Please don't ask about placement.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

As long as you're only running in Lemons, placement doesn't seem to be that big of a deal as long as the kill switch is easily reached by the driver. Other series require it to be accessible by a course worker without making them shove their arm into the depths of your burning car. We mounted the kill switch where our radio would normally live and are going to run a remote cable to the a-pillar area this winter.

We've run three races as is and no one has ever said anything about it during tech (they do mention that NASCAR style door bars are safer than what we currently have every time though).

8 (edited by jrbe 2016-10-20 03:18 AM)

Vw/Audi's have self exciting alternators. Switching the battery light wire will do nothing top stop the alternator from charging. If you try it that way and cut the alternator from the battery without a resistor to dump the power through the alternator will take a hit every time you switch it off with the kill switch.

You can use the switch pictured to interrupt power to the coil, injectors, or ecu. You can figure out which fuse you can pull from the fuse box to kill the engine reliably and repeatedly. Then use the kill switch to interrupt that circuit. When you find it, try to wait for the cooling fan to go on and pull the fuse. If it dies instantly you should be good.

Don't neglect the resistor wiring. It saves your alternator.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

use the 6 pole one above on any VW/Audi type system.
I have gone through 4 alt in 2 years on the Beetle with using a 2 pole switch .
Just run the key on/run feed through it  as in the diagram .
Bob Mann