Topic: "Classic" car insurance...anyone ever told the truth?

Since our newest street legal LeMon is way to old to insure with any normal policy I have had to turn to the classic car insurance world.  This is an incredibly cheap way to go but I am about 99% sure they will stamp the application as uninsurable if you check the box indicating (language varies from company to company) "this vehicle will be used for time trials, racing or rally events."  Anyone ever tested this theory?

I have not even found a company that will do basic liability insurance so I am assuming since comp/collision are required, this would trigger the rejected stamp.  I did find some that had pretty liberal mileage allotments.

Re: "Classic" car insurance...anyone ever told the truth?

Difficult to discuss on a forum but Hagerty definitely does not cover you on a track while racin.  I know there is insurance available for HPDE's but it's expensive.   Hagerty does have some provision if it's something like a pace car on a race track but it's not covered if the race track is "live" or some wording like that.  If it's me I'd go the honest route and if it gets wrecked on the track, suck it up buttercup.  I just don't see how it would be worth it to fudge.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I think if you check it then they consider it a vintage racer, and might think you want it insured while racing.  If so your rate will go through the roof.  I'd guess what you really want is just some cheap liability insurance only so your covered if you get pulled over so less they know the better.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Not really pertinent here but I had a weird thing come up once.  Chump ran some races in Mexico.  They'll jail a gringo if he gets in a wreck in Mexico and doesn't have insurance so everyone buys it and it's cheap.  I called an agent that sells Mexico insurance and explained what I was doing.  The Mexican insurance covered my van and trailer while in Mexico but the race car was not covered while it was on the trailer.  However, since it was a street race the race car would be covered while racing.  Go figure.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

If it's me I'd go the honest route and if it gets wrecked on the track, suck it up buttercup.  I just don't see how it would be worth it to fudge.

I have NO intention of ever claiming on on the comp/collision even if it happened on the street.  Just no one offers basic liability for a car built in 1948.

I was just reading an article on this in GRM. 

Here is a link to the article
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/artic … insurance/

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

Insurance Premiums Are Too Damn High!

It Ain't My Fault

Yep, now they are turning it down based on the photo...guess I will have get more creative.  I just want insurance to legally drive the stupid thing on the street but it is sadly as old as my father (who can still slide a 8' wide, 18' long trailer trough and 8'6" gate) so they want it to be collectible and something 75% or more restored...

I have Hagerty on the Jagvair. I started the policy with my '51 Chevy pickup (a 50 footer for sure, but complete). I added the wife's "63 Bug and then the Jagvair. They asked for pictures of the truck, but i don't think they asked for pics of the bug. I know they did not ask for pics of the Jagvair. Not sure if this is regular procedure or because of the low value of the policy. Good luck.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

Have you checked with progressive? I have just plain liability on several 60's era vehicles. All are beaters and not wort h putting collision/comp on.

State Farm will ask for pictures if its insured with a classic car policy. My agent said the roll cage was a "no-go" for classic. I instead put my racecar on a standard policy. Limited mileage, no collision, no pictures, and I didn't have to lie to my insurance company.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

I had all my race cars covered with Hagerty -    They offer a good price and they came out and took pictures. 

We were honest but did not offer more than they asked.

This space for rent.

OnkelUdo wrote:

Just no one offers basic liability for a car built in 1948.

When I used my 1937 Plymouth as a daily driver up until a couple of years ago, State Farm was happy to insure it for basic liability as a regular car, not as any sort of collectible car.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Haggerty was ready to insure the Tinyvette but eventually declined because I don't store the car in a fully enclosed garage.

Mike

I have two daily drivers insured with Progressive, one comprehensive and the other just liability. When I added the '64 Dart to the policy (regular car, liability only, listed use as "pleasure") my total rate actually went DOWN. I guess they figure a guy who owns that many cars is less likely to break them?

Anyway, Progressive never batted an eyelash at a '64, but I haven't tried anything older than that.

16 (edited by CowDriver 2016-10-26 01:28 PM)

gtopat wrote:

State Farm will ask for pictures if its insured with a classic car policy. My agent said the roll cage was a "no-go" for classic. I instead put my racecar on a standard policy. Limited mileage, no collision, no pictures, and I didn't have to lie to my insurance company.

I did the same for the Super Snipe with State Farm with no problems.   Every time I visit my agent, she wants to hear the latest "Snipe Story".  smile

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

mharrell wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

Just no one offers basic liability for a car built in 1948.

When I used my 1937 Plymouth as a daily driver....

Hero status. I thought i was cool for daily driving something from the 60's.

mgbgt89 wrote:
mharrell wrote:

When I used my 1937 Plymouth as a daily driver....

Hero status. I thought i was cool for daily driving something from the 60's.

Thanks! The Plymouth was stock, too. Still, there's nothing wrong with the '60s.

http://www.washington.edu/news/2009/10/ … uth-sedan/

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

m610 wrote:

Haggerty was ready to insure the Tinyvette but eventually declined because I don't store the car in a fully enclosed garage.

Mike

I have a garage now and just applied for Hagerty insurance for the Tinyvette. The online bot accepted my application. $198/year as opposed to $684 normally. (I have no idea why the regular insurance on this car tripled within the past three years.)

^ They will ask for pictures at some point.  It will be in your favor if the cage isn't....how would you say...visible in them.

Gone bye-bye

I am honestly ready to steal internet picture of my car and delete the meta data.

I got my race hauler insurance through these guys http://www.racensur.com/

Nobody else wanted to touch it because it was "too big." First time I heard that one.

That guy

23 (edited by m610 2018-06-06 08:13 PM)

cheseroo wrote:

^ They will ask for pictures at some point.  It will be in your favor if the cage isn't....how would you say...visible in them.

I expected they'd want photos, but the web page where I had to pay said photos were not needed. Maybe it's because I valued the car so low, $7500.

CowDriver wrote:
gtopat wrote:

I did the same for the Super Snipe with State Farm with no problems.   Every time I visit my agent, she wants to hear the latest "Snipe Story".  smile

My State Farm agent is a family friend so I can't sneak anything past her. They won't insure the Rambler because of the roll cage and harness. Even for a liability only policy. I'm still looking for insurance myself.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

I just went on Geico's website and entered a bunch of made-up info and they have a 'pre-1981' classification where you simply enter the car's year, make model.  They let me put in "1948 Dodge" and didn't seem to have an issue with it.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["