1 (edited by phyveaux 2016-10-10 05:41 PM)

Topic: Pics of our 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII from Gingerman

My dad spent all weekend documenting our first Lemons race. He will be making a large album of everyone else's cars soon. All of his pics of our car are at:

https://jimkuebler.smugmug.com/24-Hours … /i-JCfQsqH

We had so much fun joining the Lemons community. The Mark made it all weekend, running out of gas coming out of 10 on Sunday just as the checker was falling. We only picked up one black flag for a missed yellow flag and a subsequent pass under yellow. We never went off track and finished with no contact. To the extent that we were in people's way, we apologize - we are brand new at all of this. We tried hard to get out of the way of all the leaders every time we saw them in the rear view.

A huge thanks to Tatas (Camaro), Eliminator (Yellow Probe), Racing 4 Nickels (Tan Ciera) and White Trash (Green Eagle) for so much encouragement, tool lending, experience lending and patience. All of you demonstrated to us the best of Lemons and we were humbled to have been taking seriously by you guys. All of you were great. We had no idea what we were doing when we unknowingly plopped down Thursday night in the paddock between Tats and Nickels. You guys must have thought we were crazy or in way over our heads.

Note to everyone who laughed at us -- our four Amazon-sourced Sumic GT 225/60/16 all season 400 treadwear tires held up all weekend without any chunking or belts coming through. smile In fact, we're driving it home from my father in law's trailer in Dayton back to Columbus tomorrow on them! They weren't fast and they were definitely slidey, but we had fun pulling off something close to D-spec in our 22 year old luxury mobile!

https://www.amazon.com/Sumic-GT-All-Sea … B00P2KXJUQ

Oh and to the guys from A Quart Low with the radio flyer wagon (Del Sol) - you guys rock! Thanks so much for giving us the confidence last April to give this a shot. Was one of the best summers of our lives getting ready!

IOE Fall Gingerman 2018 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Re: Pics of our 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII from Gingerman

The Lincoln was clean and predictable on track from 10-2pm on Saturday each time I was close to it, well done on a solid theme and great looking car.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

I was behind the Mark VIII for a few laps in the Rambler during the last hour on Sunday and can second it being driven clean. Can't necessarily say the same about myself; I was driving like a bat out of hell trying in vain to catch the Class C leaders. There must have been something in the air out there Sunday afternoon; you weren't the only one to run out of gas. wink

I'm glad you guys had fun and look forward to seeing you back next time. 

Honestly as teams next to us that we were worried about doing something really dumb and probably hurting themself, it wasn't you it was the guys on the other side of us.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Sometime on Sunday one of the Lincoln drivers, who was otherwise clean and courteous in his driving, decided to drag race me in the Mirada down the back straight.

I LOVED IT!!

I was laughing like a school girl the whole way between 10 and 11.

Glad you guys had fun. This series definitely needs more yank tanks, both of Malaise and modern eras!

The Pentastar whisperer

Bayley wrote:

Glad you guys had fun. This series definitely needs more yank tanks, both of Malaise and modern eras!

And Post-War!

OnkelUdo wrote:
Bayley wrote:

And Post-War!

You guys are on an entirely different level that I can't even dream of achieving!

The Pentastar whisperer

Nothin's Hotter Than A Cougar Racing would like to welcome you into the very "elite" group of of FN10/MN12 chassis racing teams. We are always willing to lend a helping hand if you have any questions.

#814, Nothin's Hotter Than A Cougar Racing, 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7

Ken, it was nice to meet you guys in person. The car looked great ($500 car my ass!), and y'all looked to be having a good time whenever I saw you, on or off track. Welcome to the insanity. And if you need help with anything racey-car related, you've got my number (will wrench for pizza).

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

SlowMotionFire wrote:

Nothin's Hotter Than A Cougar Racing would like to welcome you into the very "elite" group of of FN10/MN12 chassis racing teams. We are always willing to lend a helping hand if you have any questions.

Can anyone join this elite group you speak of????

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag81/BigBird57/535-_MG_3576_zpst0eagtqp.jpg

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

We had fun racing with you as well, its always good to get another group of fun people at Lemons.

Hope to see you and race with you again next year.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

BigBird wrote:
SlowMotionFire wrote:

Can anyone join this elite group you speak of????

An anyone with a fantastic domination machine like that sure can.
Now if we all get together and share notes the 2017 season can finally belong to the MN12/FN10!

https://photos.smugmug.com/24-Hours-of-LeMons-Heads-You/i-jH6ZhdP/0/L/DSC_0275-L.jpg
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag81/BigBird57/535-_MG_3576_zpst0eagtqp.jpg
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/11807360_10153562709588383_6276494847942446135_o.jpg

13 (edited by phyveaux 2016-10-24 05:53 PM)

SlowMotionFire wrote:

anyone with a fantastic domination machine like that sure can.
Now if we all get together and share notes the 2017 season can finally belong to the MN12/FN10!

We would love to share notes. Because we were first timers, "sharing" will probably be mostly one way - going in our direction!

For starters, brakes/pad recommendations.
For seconds, tire recommendations. Even though we are likely to continue pushing our Amazon sourced 225/60/16 squeally Sumic GT's toward domination. No chunking during the race. Held up amazingly well and will probably get us through another race (especially since we have two spares we didn't touch).

phyveaux wrote:

For starters, brakes/pad recommendations.

If available, ST43 pads.  If not, can calipers that carry them be retrofit.

Rears matter little as long as they do not melt or have significantly more aggressive nature than the fronts.

Most, but not all, teams agree that basic, generic, nothing special Centric front rotors are fine.

15 (edited by SlowMotionFire 2016-10-24 09:16 PM)

We are also running the Porterfield/Raybestos ST-43 on the front and R4-S on the rear. The ST-43 on the front will last us 36+ race hours. We have more than enough breaking with the factory rotor and caliper set up. Our car all ready had the sport brake option 4 wheel discs with 11.25 dia. rotors up front. With this set up we have more brake than tire. We have removed all the ABS and traction control components. We ran it for one race and it wanted to drag the rear brakes the entire time.

Tires we still struggle with, it seems like we have had a little of everything on the car with mixed results, Soft grippy tires really wake the car up but don't last a race. Hard tires will hold up thru a race or two but make the car slide all over the place.

We have been running the 16"x7.5" factory rims and also have a set of 17"x7.5" aftermarket cheepo wheels. Does anyone know is there a hub you can buy to convert the bolt pattern over to something more friendly, Really anything other than 5x108mm would make life a lot easier for finding wider rims. Or is our only option to drill out and restud the the hubs in a bolt pattern of our choosing?

Thanks for the ST43 recommendation! Our factory calipers and ebay rotors held up just fine it seems, but the "performance" pads that came with the rotors were done on Saturday. The Autozone Gold's we bought Sunday morning didn't fare much better on Sunday. We will make that single change to these recommended pads for 2017 and see how it goes.

Our car came with non-functional ABS and traction control. We debated taking the system out of the loop entirely but decided it was too big a project. The car braked fine"ish" with the system there it seemed. We did not have a rear lockup problem at all. Our primary non-pad concern is what seems like a longish pedal before they bite. This is true in the paddock and on the street also. I guess ideally we should run lines all the way back from the corners to the master, rather than what we did which was new lines from the corners back to nearly the end of the old crustys. For the rear, this was corners to the metering valve device behind the front drivers side tire. For the fronts this was from the corners back to a foot or so from the ABS/Traction control system where we spliced in.

I really haven't looked at it too much, but my understanding is that some early 90's Mustang hubs will fit the cars, giving a more common bolt pattern? I don't think we'd go that far in modifying our car. That's probably a bit out of our $$ and hassle budget.

Brake pedal feel will improve somewhat if you remove/bypass the non functional abs, bleeding the brakes will also be easier. Our car also has a spongy long travel brake pedal, we have concluded it is just the nature of the cars large over boosted master cylinder.