Topic: MANY thanks to Total ClusterSpank participants & Buttonwillow Racers

I am immensely grateful to everyone who helped to get 7 cars to Buttonwillow raceway by Friday, then to get 6 through tech before it closed at 5pm (the ToyoHog was ready but I waited too long to push it up there) and then for all 7 to take the green flag on Saturday, and finally keep them running so 6 could take the checkered flag on Sunday.

The car that didn't take the checkered was the ToyoHog and, well, that's mharrell's story to tell. But it's demise was certainly no surprise. And for ensuring that the ToyoHog will never take the track again, MikeH, I thank you.

So in Spank Math, 6 of 7 is 100% Success!

I am also very thankful to the majority of teams who did their best to avoid contact with those 7 heaps. There were a few instances of contact, but they were of the typical "chop" variety where cars think they are past us before they are really past us and we get a front corner rounded off and wheel bearing / drive flange replacement and need to dial out the newly earned 1" of toe-in. And it's an all-fault situation anyway so I'm very thankful to the drivers of my crap for taking such good care of them so that 6 could drive on and off the trailers when it was all over. But I appreciate those of you who gave a little extra room.

The cars had a mixed bag of hella-experienced drivers and some complete track rookies, which I'm sure made it more unpredictable. I'm hoping the Red & Blue light bars helped you identify them way ahead and before you were potentially surprised by them. (Seeing the video of the Starlet being used to scrape off the Super Troopers was an example of what I most fear when my cars go out on track.)

Several driver team members, including Colin, LTDScott but most especially AJ (who is also my right hand, left leg, and 3/4 of my brain), came to my house in the weeks before the event and their help was instrumental to help make 7 cars functional enough to be worthy of trailering to the track. In the 5 weeks leading up to the race, the only car that didn't have an entire engine, transmission, or both installed/replaced was the MG Metro. The ToyoHog engine didn't come out, but a jug was bored, piston replaced, and both heads gone through.

Bill came down to help on the Yugo and then once we got the major chunk done, he trailered it home to do the rest of the final prep himself.

I even had 2 non-crew members come over to my house and give super-essential pre-race aid; cheseroo and Robb helped make sure the donor motor came out of the Plymouth Colt and into the Hyundai even though neither of them were going to be driving any of my cars and Robb wasn't even going to the track!

I was incredibly fortunate to have lots of help from crew-only participants: Dave, Woody, Craig, and Larry all came to help prep cars before the race and were also on site at the event to work their assess off, and Chris was able to come to the track to jump in and wrench both Sat and Sun.

Hamsa flew in Wednesday night, hopped off the plane, put on his Superman cape, and proceeded to pull a near all-nighter helping me load up my truck and cheseroo's borrowed van with tools and spares for 7 cars. He then drove the van to the track on Thursday towing the Hyundai.

Getting all 7 cars to the track on 7 different trailers with 6 different tow rigs (1 trailer had a blowout on the way to the track Thursday night and was swapped out with a different trailer to get the mini to the track around 3am Fri) was quite the juggling act. Q , bro Taggart and dad Charles drove out from Sierra Vista and swung by my place in Escondido to back up to a borrowed trailer in my driveway and hauled the ToyoHog to the track. They then dropped the mini back off in my driveway on their way home. By Sunday midnight, 5 of the 7 cars were back in my yard. One, the Yugo, was sold and paid for at the track so it went home with its new owner, and I still need to arrange to retrieve the MG Metro from the LA area.

First-timer Sara came out before the event and made all of the light bars that were on top of the LMPD cars. She and other first-timer and husband, Zak, did the lion's share of the painting of the cars at the track. Sara had made a bunch of extra light bars at my request because we wanted to get as many other cars behind us at the start to also have light bars on to help recreate the defining photo of the freeway slow speed chase, but some details (like asking the owners of those cars!)slipped us by. She was also thrust, at the last second, into driving the mini in the opening laps on Saturday and I didn't want to frazzle her by rushing her into the harness of a rhd 998cc "racecar" and jamming her into the # 7 position on the track to be passed by EVERYBODY by turn 4 after the green flag dropped. So that's why the mini doesn't appear at the front of the field at the yellow flag transponder check laps.

Van, Michael and Melissa were total Rock Stars with Michael and Melissa seeming to have cleared out the entire bargain bins at their local craft stores, making news helicopters for the moke/Bronco and "Spank.J. Spankson" signs to emulate the signs and banners that greeted the freeway chaos of so many years ago. And may I say, what simply amazing  people they are.

Ron C. and his wife brought yummy cookies and a tolerant attitude for the chaos, David C. (a first-time Spank participant) also showed remarkable resilience when asked to pilot the America around for the opening laps only to have him suffering a leaky main seal forcing him to nurse a slipping clutch until he could bring it in to get fixed following the photo ops. Jerry drove from Colorado and came out of his Lemons retirement to pilot the Moke/Bronco around on the opening laps. Denise, the fastest woman on a bicycle, was able to leave behind her busy schedule post-World Record effort and new found fame to remind us that she's still one of us and still Denise. Rick made his triumphant return to Lemons and was there with me to the end packing the garage back up into my truck and the van. Marc flew out and was always RIGHT THERE ready to do whatever. He kept suffering short-stints because of mechanical glitches, but he never complained and I think finally got a few good laps in before having to fly out a little before the award's ceremony on Sunday.

Anton and Sophie brought a period-correct camera to our taping of The Paddock v. Spank.J. Spankson. I asked Anton to bring the Hyundai across the checkered on a hook, but it still drove in. And poor Sophie-- I was trying to give her predictable, more-reliable cars to run her stints in but apparently I kept suggesting hella-butt-turrible cars that were suffering from various ailments for her to climb into instead. Sorry Sophie!

I had some driver's suffer family emergencies in the days leading up to the event and both Johan and Ron showed up and volunteered their cash and their bodies on Friday to be thrown into the chaos as replacements. The people you/they helped reimburse are incredibly thankful. (There was a 3rd replacement that I swear checked in with me on Friday but I think he disappeared when he saw how hopeless things looked in our quadrant of the paddock.)

Amanda kept everyone well-fed and made sure someone watched me to make sure I ate what she sent my way.

There are so many more people to thank and who helped pull this off and I'm sure I'll forget some names.

Thanks to Steve, Pagel, Eric, Tim, and the rest of the HQ crew there and to Roland and Jeff for sticking up for my cars in the tower even when the moke was getting it's 5th tow on Saturday. Big thanks to the Fire&Safety crew and the flaggers for being there so we could pull our shenanigans.

The biggest Thanks of all go to my wife and my son, who without their support and understanding, none of this could have been possible.

During the race we replaced:
1 windshield
2 drive flanges
2 cv joints
3 sets of wheel bearings
2 head gaskets
3 exhaust hangers
1 rear main seal
Several wire connectors
Lots of oil

The car that started it all for me in 2009 was the mini, and it suitably ran problem-free all weekend long. And, unless there's a 24 hour event on the west coast in 2017, I think we all just saw it's final participation in the Lemons series.

I'm not going away. I'm just going to try and move on to some of the cars that I've been sitting on for far too long and try and wash my hands of the old guard. I need to approach things with a bit more levity, and I'm going to build my first Class B car because I think the writing is on the wall that Class C is more Class B- and Class A is more SCCA/NASA, so I need to adapt to the times and learn to drive a faster car.

I still intend to field the occasional moke and possibly the America, and the mini is going to be handed off to another member of our SDMinis club to see if they can come up with a better way to get more people to use it outside of Lemons, but the rest are available for sale including the Caged Prius shell, the MG Metro, and the Hyundai Excel.

Thank you all again for helping me punctuate this point in my life and to mark this turn in my trajectory.

--Mike "Spank" Spangler

Re: MANY thanks to Total ClusterSpank participants & Buttonwillow Racers

Van, Melissa and I had a great time.  A great crew of drivers, towers, and support folks; and it was pretty amazing that we managed to get 6 of 7 cars across the finish on Sunday (no thanks to Mike H., who literally drove all the oil out of the ToyoHog tongue). 

Thanks to those who assisted on replacing the the Yugo windscreen on Saturday/Sunday; we were literally screwing in the new one a few minutes before the green flag (Bill, I hope our craftsmanship isn't too shoddy). 

Big thanks to Amanda for keeping us fed and watered; we are notorious for not eating enough during a race weekend, but having Amanda there with an array of food/snacks available was great.

Also thanks to all the other drivers for giving us a little extra space at driver's right; we tried to stay consistent and out of your way (as much as possible, short of just keeping it in the pits).

Perennial Losers
Mazda 787b aka '75 914 - Org Choice @ The Ridge, 2015; IGS @ TH, 2018
BMW M1 Procar aka '80 RX-7 (retired) - Zero awards sad

I'm still super bummed out that I couldn't make it work to fly out even as a crew member. I was scouring the internet for more pictures all weekend. The theme was awesome. Huge congrats on getting all cars through the lifetime award.

I think you're right about where things are headed. I love class C, but even class C is starting to get fast. And fast cars are kinda fun.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Spank,
What you pulled off this weekend was nothing short of amazing.  I am incredibly proud to have been a part of the ClusterSpank.  Hats off to you and the crew you put together that managed to have 6 cars cross the finish line.

It's not every day that I get to kick the windshield out of a Yugo.  Before this weekend, that isn't something I would have ever even considered happening to me!

I had an absolute blast and I fear that every race weekend after this is going to a little disappointing after this experience.

Thank you so much for what you put together and executed.

~ Van

P.S. - Scott C's harness is still in the America.  I intended to remove them, but completely forgot during the post race excitement.

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

7 cars is a monumental achievement, congrats!!!!

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

6 (edited by socal.colin 2016-10-06 11:21 AM)

It was great fun.  The group that was involved was awesome.. I enjoyed meeting them all, and the ones I already knew are great people of course.   I want to thank all of the people who did so much on the cars, including you Spank. 

Another big thanks out to Amanda. The wife and I enjoyed your food and company.

Also, sorry to the guy who was driving the Blue Ford Focus who went to pass me on the right side while I was driving the Mini. I didn't see you and you went into the dirt instead of trying anything over the top.  I came and saw you for a second when you were leaving the black flag penalty area to apologize and you said something like "no worries, we're good".  Thanks for being classy.

I realized I never once picked up my camera over the weekend.. the wife was waking around with it, I guess I should see what she caught us doing. 

My greatest moment of the weekend - Rolling out of the Mini.  It got some laughs.

5x loser - and just all around not very good
My Crappy Blog
Former Sex Pistons Craptain
And it feels so funny, like bathing in honey...

Mike98036 wrote:

(no thanks to Mike H., who literally drove all the oil out of the ToyoHog tongue).

Hey, nobody warned me that Harley-Davidsons go through oil so quickly. About three-ish seconds from full to empty, by my count. Judging from the resulting mess on the windshield, it's just as well that their engines are not positioned in front of the operator for their more conventional applications, too.

My thanks to everyone, particularly those who toiled for hours on the ToyoHog after its issues on Saturday, just to give me a couple of laps in it on Sunday. The whole weekend was a hoot.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

8 (edited by LTDScott 2016-10-06 07:34 PM)

The old adage says that it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow, and this weekend proved it for me. I had a ton of fun!

I have to admit, I was nervous that the cars wouldn't be ready for the green flag. I've seen your approach to race preparation in the past, and most of the time I just shook my head in disbelief while walking around the pits before a race because my own car was totally ready. This time, I jumped right into the fray feet first, but I knew what I signed up for! I wish I could have helped more with the car prep before the race, but in the end you and your awesome crew pulled it off. I was particularly happy that the car I worked on most (the Hyundai Excel) both before the race and while replacing the head gasket actually survived despite everyone's best efforts to kill it! Gutting the cat at the track was totally key to domination wink I'm also proud of the spare tire I made for the back of the Bronco. I'm more autistic than artistic so I was very pleased with the final product.

I really did have a ton of fun tossing the MG Metro, Mini Moke, and Austin America around the track. The best I can say for the Excel was it wasn't as horrible as I expected. Clearly they're not powerhouses but I was genuinely impressed with how I could chuck them through the corners. Despite being in slow cars, I really did come out to race and I think I got the fastest lap in all cars I drove except the Excel. On several occasions I started catching up to other cars, and I think once the drivers realized it was one of Spank's cars on their tail they got embarrassed at the thought of being passed so they clearly dialed it up a notch! That said, I tried to stay out of everyone's way and did point-bys like it was going out of style, and I was happy to get a few thank you waves from other drivers. Going into the race I was a bit leery about racing slower cars with other much faster cars around me, but in the end I didn't have any contact or problems with close calls with the exception of the douchenozzles in the grey BMW E36 with the big wing and Star of David on the back - they nearly clipped me during 3 separate stints while I was in 3 different cars.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to be part of your shenanigans, and for scratching my track time itch. My own car won't be on the track anytime soon unfortunately, but this was a worthy, albeit slower, replacement!

stimpyvan wrote:

P.S. - Scott C's harness is still in the America.  I intended to remove them, but completely forgot during the post race excitement.

Thanks for mentioning this. I live about 25 mins away from Spank and I won't need my harness anytime soon, so I'll wait until he has caught up on some sleep before bugging him smile

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

I didn't take many photos, but here were some highlights for me.

https://scontent.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14600925_10209339429756294_9054345512223011897_n.jpg?oh=4250049d20a68f36e5d0928b79c77154&oe=58A84278

https://scontent.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14523203_10209339429356284_5575240160106504005_n.jpg?oh=4d7ce9673245e8790386d2b7e0b60a35&oe=5869FA49

https://scontent.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14523143_10209339430196305_5876919829370360466_n.jpg?oh=a18d44c290918ac954eb1fffe710e56e&oe=585F94CD

https://scontent.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14469487_10209339432356359_2697847348581335757_n.jpg?oh=c1c0e17d0beae8cdc5a2d0af80ea415a&oe=586CE048

https://scontent.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14581388_10209339434276407_3483911030907371218_n.jpg?oh=d921ce0512f6b4fb3abe81d9ab5800b2&oe=586BF464

https://scontent.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14502817_10209339433836396_8769764995625486435_n.jpg?oh=2f1b57a39f34da19357651b4f8715bf5&oe=586B72D1

https://scontent.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14519892_10209339433476387_7751022665795428188_n.jpg?oh=9bf736b3cd8dcd482758078eeb8b7017&oe=58A383A2

https://scontent.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14484673_10209339434596415_4509246152991421612_n.jpg?oh=d241e55cacf1ad9bcd0ee2e49b751fca&oe=5860320D

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

I too had a blast driving the class C cluster, and was fortunate enough to be on track for the checker both days.  As Scott said, perhaps the best part was "forcing" drivers in other cars to save themselves the embarrassment of being passed by a foam Bronco.  The Yugo will continue the trend in the near future!

Thank you Spank for allowing me to be part of all this. It was certainly the most fun I've had at a Lemons race ever!

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Thanks Spank and crew for the opportunity to be part of the ClusterSpank.  As a first time Spank driver and a last minute addition, I didn't know what to expect.  The crew was organized, and they had a plan. I knew exactly what car I was to drive, and when I needed to be ready.  I got to experience 3 of the cars.  I knew the moke would be fun.  The Excel was clearly down on power, but he Yugo was a surprise.  I had a blast.

Here's a couple laps in the Yugo on Saturday morning.  I was doing my best to keep out of the way of the faster drivers, but I still managed to pass a few myself.

https://youtu.be/cKgUgEf1AgM

Thanks again.
Ron

Three Year Multiple Lemons Loser,
2013 Arse Freeze Apalooza - Class B Winner,
2015 Vodden the Hell are we Doing - IOE Winner

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/lLgedKpIpvgYtJ-kxSAmMfAQ4M9W5kaBLfldImtlsSmvdsxD5Pcti9BV7B8eUH75kFuBsvGTExQ=w1560-h832-no

5x loser - and just all around not very good
My Crappy Blog
Former Sex Pistons Craptain
And it feels so funny, like bathing in honey...

What Spank failed to mention is that with 7 cars and 2 days of racing, he personally racked up zero laps on track.  He busted his butt  for an untold number of hours, made untold personal sacrifices, and his only concern was the safety and satisfaction of others.  The man is completely selfless.  Even in the final minutes of the race, he had no interest in taking the final lap and instead sent me out in the Moke.  This event was my, and my wife's, first experience driving on track.  Spank did everything within his ability to ensure a great experience for all involved.  If you are ever feeling down, or overwhelmed with a situation, take comfort in knowing that anything is possible, Spank has proven such.  I am happy just to know the guy.

Tri-Lamb Motorsports ‘87 528e

This was an awesome time! I'm sure I've had more fun doing something, but never at the same frenetic pace for such a sustained period of time.

I apologize for not pulling the throttle pedal on the Excel earlier to fix that issue... and driving the "body" off the Mokenco.

This was only my second Lemons race, but I am now a repeat offender with Spank. I don't really have the words to convey the feeling of camaraderie that was there with a bunch of folks I barely know. All I can say is thanks to Spank for making it happen, and thanks to the rest of you for playing along.

I'm sure I'm not speaking out of turn when I add the thanks of my father and brother.

See you next time!

-Q

That guy