Re: Loudon - Awesome - What did you think?

I would also like to thank the Super Grover Gents and others for the tips early on and if the offer of that Duratec is still on the table I'm game!

Absolutely, Hit me up !
Mkotzias@optonline.net
We can figure out all the details.

Goofracer72, I should also be at all 3 events so we will kick back and share a beer or 12. I actually think we met at Thompson, I came over to the 3PM crew asking about the Civic. Still slowly putting my Civic together, hopefully it will be racing at NJMP, but I intend to put my butt into the Miata again. Once the Sunday race video gets put together I'll send you a link and the time stamp so you can watch how everything played out. Should be a good one.

a lethal overdose of brick wall, taken while under the influence of a Ferrari and a bottle of tequila.

Somebody wrote:

First and foremost, I need to throw an apology out to the 2 Mr2s that on Sunday I was racing against. I was the driver of the green/red topped Miata number 101 that probably made their drivers crap their pants on the nascar back straight turn onto the uphill. I had overheated tires at this point, I came in hot onto that turn and just put slightly too much pressure on the accelerator losing rear end grip just after turn in. All day I was applying the same amount of throttle at or earlier then that point. The rear end lost traction with pretty old tires (1 full race at Thompson, practice at NH and all of Saturday including up to that point on sunday). Luckily or unluckily depending on your view I put the rear left side of the car into the tire wall. It could have been way worse and I could have spun the car and did major damage. Sorry guys for losing it and scaring your driver.

I wasn't driving the 351 Spaceship MR2 at the time, but I forwarded this on to the team. I do remember seeing you guys out there, and can't say I remember any problems, good racing with you and thanks for looking out.

Chris

The Cosmonaughts - 86/88 MR2 with 1MZ V6

While people are reading this thread still. I was talking to guys with the red Infiniti in the tech line about the tablet you were using for gauges. We got really busy Saturday after the race and forgot to stop by and see how it worked out. We are looking to do something similar for the car we are building over the winter.

How did it work using the Bluetooth dongle? Any things you would do differently?

Thanks,
Chris from Super GRover

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

My experience with OBD II readers and gauges, they aren't fast. If you're trying to simply read water temp, intake temp, stuff that changes slowly, it's great. But if you're trying to watch pressures or other fast changing things, you're on a delay and the resolution isn't amazing. I don't like using it for tachs because of that fact. Otherwise it works pretty well, if your car makes all the readings you want available.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

My experience with OBD II readers and gauges, they aren't fast. If you're trying to simply read water temp, intake temp, stuff that changes slowly, it's great. But if you're trying to watch pressures or other fast changing things, you're on a delay and the resolution isn't amazing. I don't like using it for tachs because of that fact. Otherwise it works pretty well, if your car makes all the readings you want available.

I would agree with this.  I have an UltraGauge in my daily driver.  It is great for fuel slow moving values, but there is a noticeable lag when I set up a throttle position monitor.

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

32 (edited by chaase 2016-10-26 07:15 AM)

mully006 wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

I would agree with this.  I have an UltraGauge in my daily driver.  It is great for fuel slow moving values, but there is a noticeable lag when I set up a throttle position monitor.

That is what I figured. I just had concerns about how well the Bluetooth connection held up during race. How easy was the display to read? My thoughts were that the new car would have a regular tachometer mounted in front of the driver and the tablet off to the side to display things like coolant temp, oil temp, etc. the driver could glance at every new and again.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

cpl rampage wrote:
Somebody wrote:

First and foremost, I need to throw an apology out to the 2 Mr2s that on Sunday I was racing against. I was the driver of the green/red topped Miata number 101 that probably made their drivers crap their pants on the nascar back straight turn onto the uphill. I had overheated tires at this point, I came in hot onto that turn and just put slightly too much pressure on the accelerator losing rear end grip just after turn in. All day I was applying the same amount of throttle at or earlier then that point. The rear end lost traction with pretty old tires (1 full race at Thompson, practice at NH and all of Saturday including up to that point on sunday). Luckily or unluckily depending on your view I put the rear left side of the car into the tire wall. It could have been way worse and I could have spun the car and did major damage. Sorry guys for losing it and scaring your driver.

I wasn't driving the 351 Spaceship MR2 at the time, but I forwarded this on to the team. I do remember seeing you guys out there, and can't say I remember any problems, good racing with you and thanks for looking out.

Chris

I was worried I could have caused a bigger incident then it was. I knew we were going at it. In the end no cars ended up hitting which is good. Thanks for forwarding it to the team :-)

a lethal overdose of brick wall, taken while under the influence of a Ferrari and a bottle of tequila.

chaase wrote:

That is what I figured. I just had concerns about how well the Bluetooth connection held up during race. How easy was the display to read? My thoughts were that the new car would have a regular tachometer mounted in front of the driver and the tablet off to the side to display things like coolant temp, oil temp, etc. the driver could glance at every new and again.

It would work fine for that. Bluetooth connections are fairly decent. I've run my bluetooth OBD II reader for multi-hour long trips with no issues.

But I'll just reiterate the statement that you should not rely on gauges. Install idiot lights that trigger off low pressure and high temp. Drivers do not look at gauges often enough to notice immediate problems. Idiot light should grab attention and make your driver look at gauges to see what thing went wrong.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:
chaase wrote:

It would work fine for that. Bluetooth connections are fairly decent. I've run my bluetooth OBD II reader for multi-hour long trips with no issues.

But I'll just reiterate the statement that you should not rely on gauges. Install idiot lights that trigger off low pressure and high temp. Drivers do not look at gauges often enough to notice immediate problems. Idiot light should grab attention and make your driver look at gauges to see what thing went wrong.

Thanks...I appreciate the input.

piper.gras wrote:

I also noticed a few cars spewing gas during the race. The number 13 (forget which car it was), and Super Grover (#24 I believe). I had our team report those as well. I hate to interrupt someones racing, but when it comes to fuel leaks it's worth it.

I was amazed at how clean the driving was overall (with a few exceptions, like every race). The rain on Saturday made the on-track conditions a nightmare, but it seems as if most handled themselves well.

Normally I'm very impressed by the flaggers at NHMS, but I thought they were sub-par this weekend. One incident in particular comes to mind where there was a flag out coming down the hill and a resulting traffic jam, but the treestand flagger decided to just wave his arms wildly about rather than throwing a flag. Never seen that move before.

piper.gras I think it was your rear bumper that came gunning for us? I remembered a multicolored firebird bumper letting loose and waking me up that's for sure! I spied it wagging a bit, then right before the Nascar straight it detached and flew right at me, luckily we had our rear end sorted by then so I could swerve to avoid it, but there certainly was a moment where I was thinking "I wonder how long that's going to stay on there.... AHHHHH!"  *screeeech* lol

This was our teams very first event. We were in the Bob Ross Civic. Met some really great people this past weekend and learned a ton.

I hope we were not in anyone's way to much. I know that I tried to stay out of the way of faster traffic giving as many point by as I could. At one point one of my guys was black flagged for "chopping the front bumper off a white BMW". Who ever you are, we're sorry.

Its became glaringly obvious that our weak point is out pit strategy, so we will be working on that. And a motor that has more than 70hp would be nice.

But hey, 43 out of 120 isn't bad for our first time out. 18th or 19th in B class. Ran 408 laps and race from green to the checked flag. Can't beat that reliability.

Always an amazing time at this track.  It has really grown on me over the years.  Even with 120 cars on track this year, the driving was generally very predictive.  We also noticed the flagging to be a bit suspect, which is surprising because it is usually excellent at NHMS.  A nice little extra challenge for the all the supposed new teams and drivers, ha!

After an amazing run of DNF's due to broken transaxles on the #26 Alfa Romeo, we were finally in contention for the least important trophy.  The car is totally snakebit.  Car got a flat rear tire toward the end of Saturday that cut our cushion for P1 in half to start Sunday.  Then on Sunday our 1st driver got an unfortunate black flag.  2nd driver was clean but a bit slower than P1 and P2 so by the time the our last driver went out, we were about 2.5 laps down on #199 One-Tire-Fire and in P3 with 2 hours left. 

We saved the ringer driver for last and wished him luck!   At the pace he was going, he was going to catch #199 at the ~20-30 minutes remaining mark, barring any full course yellows.  About 2 laps after he got on the same lap as P1, he radios in with "I'M LOSING BRAKES!"  F***ING WONDERFUL!  A brake line junction inside the car got loose and started pissing brake fluid all over.   That helped secure the "Do Everything Right (First Loser)" award!  'Twas an amazing nail biter of a race, regardless.

Soooo, I apologize if our last driver on Sunday scared the crap out of anyone as he ringed the snot out of the car.  He is a very fast driver and is generally able to do so in a very clean manner, but of course nobody's perfect.

See y'all next season!

Team Failken: Formula D-Bags: #14 93 Nissan 240sx
Team Pro-Crash-Duh-Nation: #26 '87 Alfa Romeo Milano

adamspn wrote:
piper.gras wrote:

I also noticed a few cars spewing gas during the race. The number 13 (forget which car it was), and Super Grover (#24 I believe). I had our team report those as well. I hate to interrupt someones racing, but when it comes to fuel leaks it's worth it.

I was amazed at how clean the driving was overall (with a few exceptions, like every race). The rain on Saturday made the on-track conditions a nightmare, but it seems as if most handled themselves well.

Normally I'm very impressed by the flaggers at NHMS, but I thought they were sub-par this weekend. One incident in particular comes to mind where there was a flag out coming down the hill and a resulting traffic jam, but the treestand flagger decided to just wave his arms wildly about rather than throwing a flag. Never seen that move before.

piper.gras I think it was your rear bumper that came gunning for us? I remembered a multicolored firebird bumper letting loose and waking me up that's for sure! I spied it wagging a bit, then right before the Nascar straight it detached and flew right at me, luckily we had our rear end sorted by then so I could swerve to avoid it, but there certainly was a moment where I was thinking "I wonder how long that's going to stay on there.... AHHHHH!"  *screeeech* lol

Yep, that was ours. Sorry if it caused you a brown shorts moment! Our rear bumper cover gets held on by a number of zip ties, and when someone makes contact with us they break, and the bumper falls off (not accusing you of hitting us!). For next race....additional zip ties!

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

Somebody wrote:

Goofracer72, I should also be at all 3 events so we will kick back and share a beer or 12. I actually think we met at Thompson, I came over to the 3PM crew asking about the Civic. Still slowly putting my Civic together, hopefully it will be racing at NJMP, but I intend to put my butt into the Miata again. Once the Sunday race video gets put together I'll send you a link and the time stamp so you can watch how everything played out. Should be a good one.

Yeah I'd like to see that video when it's ready.  Its probably a really good race to watch from your perspective.   I'll do the same when out videos are ready(though I don't know when that'll be).

I'll expound on my original post here a little bit. This was my first-ever Lemons race, I was attending as a spectator. Friday I hit the road at 5:00 AM from my place in Virginia, taking the long way (81-84-91) to avoid NYC, NJ, and all the tolls that come with them. The drive was smooth going until I got to western CT where I hit some hellacious traffic, losing over an hour just trying to get through Waterbury, Hartford, and Springfield. It was made slightly better by the fact that I passed Three Pedal Mafia and their RV towing their giraffe Civic along the way. I finally made it to Bow, where the proprietor of the Lemons Racer Lounge Facebook group was letting me stay the night, around 7:00 PM or so.

Even just watching the race was awesome, even though I was hella awkward and only talked to a few people as I mostly just felt like I was in the way. I mostly talked to the team with the pink Park Avenue, which was my favorite car there, Three Pedal, Futility with their Saab, and the #888 Blue Tang Clan (who sold me the Volvo my team will be racing next year). The best part of the weekend was meeting and talking to Vermin Supreme himself, he was hilarious and actually a really nice guy. He definitely has my vote!

http://orig00.deviantart.net/0ee1/f/2016/300/b/8/14708249_10157646994910554_1194551384265886610_n_by_sanctimoniously-damfv2i.jpg

I provided the rainbow DTOM flag in the background, Phil let me hang it up on the wall behind the penalty box and it was the backdrop for most of the pictures people took with him and the debate penalties. He even signed it! I also really enjoyed the pasta and wine served by the Alfa team, the gin and tonic from the gin and tonic cart, and Three Pedal's turkey Saturday night. I would have loved to stay later and enjoy more of the party, but we ended up leaving around 8:30 PM.

Sunday was beautiful, aside from the freezing-cold wind. I mostly hung out by the Winner's Circle and near turn 1, just watching. It seemed like all the teams I was rooting for the most (the pink Park Avenue, Futility's Saab, and #888) had major problems right before the end of the race. The Park Avenue had cracked the top 20 but lost a rear wheel with about an hour and a half to go (but it drove off the track and onto the flatbed under its own power, you can always depend on your Buick!), the #888 BMW was as high as 7th overall but broke a strut also about an hour and a half before the finish, and Futility's Saab was having some misfire issues just 15 minutes before the finish, but all had decent places in the standings by the end.

If I was ever in anyone's way this weekend, I'm sorry, but it was awesome finally getting to come to a Lemons race even as a spectator. I can't wait to come back next year, except with a driver's wristband this time. 2017 is the year of Further Domination!

http://orig15.deviantart.net/feb3/f/2016/300/a/7/14886290_10157669760455554_896625999_n_by_sanctimoniously-damfw1k.jpg

Sanctimoniously wrote:

I'll expound on my original post here a little bit. This was my first-ever Lemons race, I was attending as a spectator. Friday I hit the road at 5:00 AM from my place in Virginia, taking the long way (81-84-91) to avoid NYC, NJ, and all the tolls that come with them. The drive was smooth going until I got to western CT where I hit some hellacious traffic, losing over an hour just trying to get through Waterbury, Hartford, and Springfield. It was made slightly better by the fact that I passed Three Pedal Mafia and their RV towing their giraffe Civic along the way. I finally made it to Bow, where the proprietor of the Lemons Racer Lounge Facebook group was letting me stay the night, around 7:00 PM or so.

Even just watching the race was awesome, even though I was hella awkward and only talked to a few people as I mostly just felt like I was in the way. I mostly talked to the team with the pink Park Avenue, which was my favorite car there, Three Pedal, Futility with their Saab, and the #888 Blue Tang Clan (who sold me the Volvo my team will be racing next year). The best part of the weekend was meeting and talking to Vermin Supreme himself, he was hilarious and actually a really nice guy. He definitely has my vote!

http://orig00.deviantart.net/0ee1/f/2016/300/b/8/14708249_10157646994910554_1194551384265886610_n_by_sanctimoniously-damfv2i.jpg

I provided the rainbow DTOM flag in the background, Phil let me hang it up on the wall behind the penalty box and it was the backdrop for most of the pictures people took with him and the debate penalties. He even signed it! I also really enjoyed the pasta and wine served by the Alfa team, the gin and tonic from the gin and tonic cart, and Three Pedal's turkey Saturday night. I would have loved to stay later and enjoy more of the party, but we ended up leaving around 8:30 PM.

Sunday was beautiful, aside from the freezing-cold wind. I mostly hung out by the Winner's Circle and near turn 1, just watching. It seemed like all the teams I was rooting for the most (the pink Park Avenue, Futility's Saab, and #888) had major problems right before the end of the race. The Park Avenue had cracked the top 20 but lost a rear wheel with about an hour and a half to go (but it drove off the track and onto the flatbed under its own power, you can always depend on your Buick!), the #888 BMW was as high as 7th overall but broke a strut also about an hour and a half before the finish, and Futility's Saab was having some misfire issues just 15 minutes before the finish, but all had decent places in the standings by the end.

If I was ever in anyone's way this weekend, I'm sorry, but it was awesome finally getting to come to a Lemons race even as a spectator. I can't wait to come back next year, except with a driver's wristband this time. 2017 is the year of Further Domination!

http://orig15.deviantart.net/feb3/f/2016/300/a/7/14886290_10157669760455554_896625999_n_by_sanctimoniously-damfw1k.jpg

Nice write up.

Welcome

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

adamspn wrote:

That's funny, I must have been right behind you in the Alfa because I had the same exact thoughts right before it flew off heading onto the straight

Sanctimoniously, was good to meet you (though please forgive me if I need a prod to who you are next time we meet, I suck at that kind of stuff). Glad you came out and got to see the madness. Good luck with your car, and if you ever need anything at future races don't hesitate to ask. We all love helping.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

TheEngineer wrote:

Sanctimoniously, was good to meet you (though please forgive me if I need a prod to who you are next time we meet, I suck at that kind of stuff). Glad you came out and got to see the madness. Good luck with your car, and if you ever need anything at future races don't hesitate to ask. We all love helping.

Thanks! The Saab was awesome, I especially loved all the private-college stickers on the back window, stuff like that you only see on a beloved daily driver.

We had a good race also.  I thought the rain would make it worse but it was actually nice.  I was finally able to get some passes:)  Only contact for me was with the reddish Datsun I think?  It felt worse than it probably was.  I was staying out of the way since it's a slower car, hugging the outside down turn 10.  The problem with doing that was I was exiting straighter than someone on the outside who was turning right.  I started to turn as soon as I cleared the turtle, but our car does not have the same grip as a class A that was trying to whiz past.

Another echo on that Redbull car...  Besides the rudeness on the track, while taking a break I noticed they were all in the penalty box for quite a while.  They were still there when I lost sight of them, then in what seemed like minutes later I saw them spin around in the middle of the straight with no one around them, nearly hitting the inside wall.  Not sure how they escaped more time in the penalty box after that...maybe it's a blind spot for the judges?  Later on (late Sunday I think) while walking back from a fueling I noticed their car exiting the people-only coned-off hot pit area...