Re: Other series stickers

There's no shortage of clean Class A in the midwest. So worth putting out there when it comes together.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

We don't care about race stickers from other series.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Anything slower than our E30 might start to get a little dangerous with those prototypes on the track.

So there are only a handful of Lemons that could manage? You pretty much spanked everyone in July.

We're tempted to get compliant to Chump to try out Road America, but also interested in Mid Ohio with AER next year (or the following one). Gotta spice it up a bit. However, I'm still nervous about bumper car antics in Chump and other series not being as fun. And us being even more pathetic and slow in comparison to those cheater series.

-Robert, Party Sheep Racing
The Jerry Lundegaard GMAC Financing Award, Joliet 2013 [Cutlass Ciera w/ Iron Duke]
Eta E30: IL Fall '15, MI Spring '16, IL Summer '16, MI Spring '17, KY '17, MI Summer '21, KY '21, MI Summer '21, MI Fall '22

WRL GP4 class can be won by a slower-than-average Lemons Class B car. You won't win on speed, but the strategery is the same. One thing to keep in mind is that they let you fuel and change drivers at the same time, so you need to be fueling as you are dragging your driver out and belting the new guy in. Mock Grass was kicking our asses at pit stops until we figured that out. Of course we figured it out by watching Mock Grass kick our ass at pit stops. They pit the classes together, so slow and awful Lemons cars are together, which was nice. 

I've been on VIR in the Duff car with a DP car in my run group, and it was scary. I really had to keep my eyes out for that thing.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Is there any way to know ahead of time how many different classes will be running at a WRL race? The only one I've ever been to (in 2014) only had GP1 through GP3. I assume it's based on how many cars show up.

SpaceFrank wrote:

Is there any way to know ahead of time how many different classes will be running at a WRL race? The only one I've ever been to (in 2014) only had GP1 through GP3. I assume it's based on how many cars show up.

I'm sure Rodger will comment, but that is the main reason we didn't run with them at AMP last year.  I was attempting to sign up and their 3rd party registration system was a PITA to navigate.  At the time I think we were 3 months out and ONE car was signed up in our class.  We didn't think that would be much fun, even if we could have won.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

The WRL registration system is not the greatest. The main reason that we did AMP was so we could qualify to go to COTA. AMP was fun though; we'll probably do it again some day, although with Lemons adding tracks and races in the south, we may only do Lemons and HPDE's in 2017.

I didn't know until we got there. There were only 3 cars in GP4, us (Duff Beer Civic), the Kia Pet, and the white eta-engine E30 with the plaid hood (sorry, forgot the team name, but good guys to race with). The Kia Pet was severely limited in the brake department, so they just couldn't push very hard without catastrophic brake failure (which happened both days), and the E30 had coolant system problems, so we won the Saturday race and were 2nd to the E30 on Sunday. We may have been able to push the E30 a bit harder on Sunday to try and force a coolant system problem, but then we'd run the risk of running out of brakes/tires/talent, because they were just faster than us when their car was running. We did have our last driver push them as hard as he could to see if we could get them to blow up or do something stupid, but they just stayed a few laps ahead of us to the checker.

The rest of the classes were much better represented; it looks GP4 is the least popular class.

Vincent, what class would you guys have been in?

rmcdaniels wrote:

Vincent, what class would you guys have been in?

As far as I could tell based on our power and weight, we would have been in GP3.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

So the envelope of power to weight ratio for each class is fixed? That's nice, at least you know what class you'll be in ahead of time.

VKZ24 wrote:

As far as I could tell based on our power and weight, we would have been in GP3.

GP3 would have been a good race for you, 5-6 cars, stuff like the Hong Norrth Mazdas were in GP3. There was a ridiculously fast Civic on Saturday, but it was blown up by Sunday.

36 (edited by ninjacoco 2016-12-27 01:31 AM)

I've only ever covered up Lemons' own stickers to protest injustice 'n' crap. Avenge Coco, etc., the usual. So far, no one in Texas has cared about anyone else's stickers on the car, though.

Guildenstern wrote:

It's basically lower end SCCA without all the obnoxious class rules. Spec E Showroom Improved? Bleh

So it's better for that. And cheaper. But it's where you go with a class A car when you tire of winning by 20+ laps ahead of 2nd class. Or getting the stink eye for being yet another E30 or Miata team who's whole theme is just some numbers made out of tape.

WRL is run in a similar organization style as Lemons, but it's faster and you can be out there with real cars you do NOT want to bump. (unless you're Effing Orlove) Also you need some kind of race school or so many Lemons/Chump races. which means keeping a logbook. Also Blegh.(again unless your a auto journo who can't drive, then it's go nuts!)

{ typed with middle fingers, hunt-'n'-peck style }

Orlove's big t-bone was AER on a very slippery Mid-Ohio.

(Haven't run either myself, FWIW, but I will at least defend my dadgummed coworker. He owned up to basically all of what happened there, so yeah.)

ninjacoco wrote:

Lemons Newcomers
A flame-free environment for rookie questions.

ninjacoco wrote:

Orlove's big t-bone was AER on a very slippery Mid-Ohio.

(Haven't run either myself, FWIW, but I will at least defend my dadgummed coworker. He owned up to basically all of what happened there, so yeah.)

Oh yea AER, Starting to become difficult to keep all these not Lemons series straight.

As for Orlove. Well....
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k1sH8vpH--/194mkhxoyqygtjpg.jpg

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

39 (edited by ninjacoco 2016-12-27 04:47 PM)

Spank wrote:
ninjacoco wrote:

Lemons Newcomers
A flame-free environment for rookie questions.

(Shh, I know this dude.)