1 (edited by IgnoranteWest 2016-10-11 04:25 PM)

Topic: Bulletproof, nearly free Pit-to-Car Comms

We tried an experiment in the Rambler this weekend and it worked like a dream.  Incredibly cheap too.

I downloaded an app to my regular old, daily-use smart phone called "Auto Answer" that lets you designate certain contacts in your phone that the app will auto-answer without you having to touch the phone.

I also wore a pair of wireless ear buds as pictured below.  These ones in particular are about thirty bucks but I already had them so they were "free".    I put them on before I put on the helmet and Necksgen v2, and they did not intefere with Necksgen or belts or helmet.  Cell phone stayed in the pocket of my fire suit.

My teammates were highly, highly skeptical but it worked flawlessly when they needed to share information with me from the pits during a couple of extended cautions.  I totally forgot they were in my ear.  I didn't even hear a ring because I had it set up not to, I just heard Frank's voice loud and clear say "Hello Dave." And I believe they could hear me loud and clear as well, note the location of the mic hole on those things is pretty close to your mouth.

The noise of the car was a non-issue and i would say the earbuds helped reduce some of the unpleasant loudness of the Rambler at full tilt boogie.

The only limitation is that we didnt test the driver initiating the call by pressing that "handset" button on the headphones but even if I can't sort that, I'm using this as primary pit-to-car comm system at all races going forward.

http://pisces.bbystatic.com/image2/BestBuy_US/images/products/3817/3817099cv14d.jpg

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

Re: Bulletproof, nearly free Pit-to-Car Comms

I read this a while ago and thought this was a great idea, and then immediately forgot it. *Face-palm* I remembered when I was checking for deals on radios today though. My one question is didn't it hinder your ability to hear the race around you to always have these in your ears?

Most of us wear earbuds for coms or ear plugs for noise.  Loud pipes do not save lives...mirrors and not driving like an asshat, do.

OnkelUdo wrote:

Most of us wear earbuds for coms or ear plugs for noise.  Loud pipes do not save lives...mirrors and not driving like an asshat, do.

Bravo.....

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

If you want hearing protection rated ear buds put the word plugfones in the search engine of your choice.

I use them under a helmet on my daily driver with a cheap bluetooth adapter. They are also great for quieting your airplane ride at a fraction of the cost of ANR headphones. The sound quality for music is ok but not great. I'm ok with just ok in this application.

I had no problem with the earbuds blocking sounds I needed to hear.  Squealing tires and cherry bomb exhausts operate at frequencies that easily penetrate the earbuds LOL.

If this was a concern, I would recommend using the included smaller rubber pieces included in every set of decent earbuds I've ever bought.

Wired earbuds would probably work... But the Bluetooth ones had, IMO, less risk of getting tangled or disconnected while my teammates strapped me in.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas