Topic: Need help finding Lemons-compliant 14 inch tires

Hello Fellow Lemons Teams;
Our team will be entering a 1967 Plymouth Valiant in the New Jersey race next year (Don't worry--we'll give everyone the right of way to pass us.).
The car has 13 inch wheels.  We may be able to upgrade to 14 inch wheels.
In either case, I have been unable to find either 13" or 14" racing tires that meet the 190 wear rating for the Lemons rules.
I'm sure some other teams out there run cars with smaller wheels/tires.
HELP--can anyone suggest tires that meet with Jay's approval?
I'd particularly like to find suitable 14" tires.
Thanks!
Larry
Member: Team "Push the Button, Max"

Re: Need help finding Lemons-compliant 14 inch tires

Yea 13 and 14 is pretty dead. There's the Miata sized 14s in Direzza but those are a pretty low load rating. Take the Douglas challenge!

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Direzza Star Spec II and Falken RT615K both have a 14" tire.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

You could also look overseas.  There is a much wider offering of small tires in the UK  and the rest of Europe.

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

5 (edited by SpaceFrank 2016-11-22 12:20 PM)

First of all, glad to see more Mopar A-bodies in Lemons! You rocking the slant six, or does it have a V8? Shoot me a forum email if you want more advice than you could ever ask for. These things can be made to handle surprisingly well, and the judges will give you some budget leeway because of what it is. If you haven't already emailed Judge Phil with pictures, I'd do that. He'll probably tell you to go nuts.

If you're looking at running 13s/14s, I assume the car is still small bolt pattern (5x4"), right? If that's the case, you probably still have 4-wheel drums. If that's the case, I would say don't waste your time with 190TW tires until you at least have a disc brake conversion on that thing.

A quick search on TireRack shows a few options in the 400-500 TW range for 14s, and precisely one option (Kumho Solus, 700TW) for 185-70-13s. Unfortunately, the 4.5" width of those stock Mopar wheels are going to limit you to something like 195 max section width.

There may be some small bolt pattern 15" unicorn wheels out there, but in general any wheel in a good size for tire choices is going to require changing your bolt pattern to 5x4.5". Luckily if you want cheap and effective front discs, that's going to happen anyway. I won't hijack your entire thread, but if you want details on any of this just send me an email.

EDIT: To clarify, 190TW is not required, it's just the minimum. You can go higher than that, and for most Class C cars you probably should just to avoid throwing money away.

We love the rt-615K's, and they can be found for $80 a pop what more could one ask for

if its entirely stock suspension. then 190TW is going to make your car lean way too much.
If you can actually get up to speed through, then caring that speed through corners with 190TW is only real good way to get good laps.
what is your goal at the end? RT-615k probably only your solution.
BUT if you run the 13" then you may ask the judges to get a 200TW waived. so you could get some The MAGIC!

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

We run the RT-615K in 14" on our '85 Celica. They last 1-1/2 races and have good adhesion.

Time to cut those springs as well

Or whatever they do to leaf springs,

I too have the Falkens. 
I would recommend them also

z

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022