Topic: Lemons Rally 2017 cost

Hey All,

Newb here, with flame suit on.

I have a schweeet 78 Continental, Cartier Clock, opera windows, rich Corinthian leather, 460, special edition 2 3/4 speed C6, the works.

I was looking at doing the rally from Moscow to Paris(we live 40 miles from Paris). I was really excited until I got to the registration page and saw the entry fee is $495!

Am I the only one that things is a little odd to charge $500 entry fee to cruise a $500 car?

I am new, so maybe I am missing something. Flame away, or please explain what my money is buying. Is there a naked massage at the end of each day? If so, whats an appropriate tip? HAHA

Thanks
Troy

Re: Lemons Rally 2017 cost

yellowsupra88 wrote:

...78 Continental, Cartier Clock, opera windows, rich Corinthian leather, 460, special edition 2 3/4 speed C6, the works.

That sounds like a proper rally vehicle. Good choice!

yellowsupra88 wrote:

Am I the only one that things is a little odd to charge $500 entry fee to cruise a $500 car?

I am new, so maybe I am missing something. Flame away, or please explain what my money is buying.

(1) The race is for $500 cars. For the rally, feel free to run anything that's street-legal and insured. Spend unlimited dozens of dollars!

(2) From my observations during the first rally, they ran everything with just two staff members present and a third working remotely. They succeeded but pushed themselves way too hard in doing so. They not only ran the route (or routes) themselves each day, with a certain amount of backtracking and double-checking, but also set up and operated various stops along the way and tried to record as much of what was happening as possible, too. Then there was all of the work each morning and (particularly) each evening, documenting arrivals, tallying scores, dealing with emergencies, and so forth. I suspect you'll be paying for more personnel this time. There's also the expense of reconnaissance and route planning, travel expenses for the staff getting there and returning home (both for the event and for the recon), staff car, food, and lodging during the rally itself, and of course the goodie bag and other materials that each team receives. My guess, again as someone who was just a participant, is they didn't clear much (if anything) by the way of profit on the first one and now have a better idea of what it takes to do things right both for the rallyists and for themselves. The first rally was a blast. Worth every penny and then some.

To put it another way: I've organized and run quite a few field excursions in my career as a geology instructor. There's a stunning amount of behind-the-scenes time and expense involved in making even the most straightforward of group trips go well. For what they're providing, I'd call the fee modest.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Racing a $500 car in a weekend Lemons race costs us about $3-4k per weekend.   Sometimes more, sometimes less depending on rule changes, equipment upgrades, food, drink, lodging, number of spouses hanging out, etc.  I'm guessing that we will be all in for around $2k for 2 guys this race-driving my old truck.  It feels like a bargain since "road legal" is the only real requirement. 

No form of racing is cheap, but racing is the best form of therapy that money can buy.    We're all a little bit crazy, some of us are just better at hiding it.

1973ish ford bronco - 3 speeds but none are fast.

Rally North America changes $500 for the rally plus a $100 donation to the charity their working with.

That guy that likes the Oldsmobile Diesel for some reason.

It's not unusual to see entry fees that approach or exceed the cost of the vehicles involved. The old standby, that BABE Rally, had fees of around $250, and a $250 purchase cap on the vehicle. And that was ten years ago. It's expensive to put this stuff on.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.