Topic: PicknPull Racings Highlights and Lowlights Reel

https://youtu.be/NZDyfXWfDxw

Just past the 4 minute mark you'll see my spin.  I would like to apologize to the watermelon Volvo who managed to only clip my back bumper I hope your damage was superficial.  I also want to thank and apologize to the green and yellow bimmer #41 and the Countour with the message board in the trunk #424 for heroic maneuvers to avoid hitting me.  I was shocked when I saw the video at how long I sat there before I gathered my wits and got frack out of the way.  I guess I was too occupied with all the very exciting visuals flashing past in front of me.

Re: PicknPull Racings Highlights and Lowlights Reel

Good footage...thanks for sharing. What tires/tire pressure are you running? That thing sure seems to like to get overly squirrely in areas that don't look too bad in thevideo.

assuming this video is chronological...

...your driver at 1:15 is a terrible liar

(or doesn't understand that 2-off is a flaggable offense)

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

You should link this video to your other post about brake booster questions.  That thing looks really squirrelly under braking.  Whatever you end up changing, I would run it at a test day somewhere to make sure you got it sorted.  For our sake as well as yours. 

And yes, pants on fire to the guy at 1:15.  I wouldn't act too shocked if that came back to bite you in the future.  "....aren't you the guys that lied........"

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

derekste wrote:

assuming this video is chronological...

...your driver at 1:15 is a terrible liar

(or doesn't understand that 2-off is a flaggable offense)

Appears that the off is at 11:45 and the he pulls into the penalty box at 12:10.  Either that was his 2nd trip to the penalty box (after reporting for the off) or he stayed out on track for 25 minutes after the infraction.

Van

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

It seems from the context that the driver may have self-reported the off at the penalty box, then went back out, then caught a BF from the corner workers for the off that was self-reported. At least I hope that was the case.

The driver's angry incredulity that Southworst used all the track on the exit of T2 is laughable.

This compilation video of lowlights has left me feeling frightened to share a track with this car. The machine is, at best, dangerously squirrelly. On top of that, it's clearly being over-driven, especially considering its obvious built-in control difficulties. Please seek out help in fixing your handling/braking issues and run a few test days with the improved setup before subjecting yourselves and the rest of the field to this danger again.

El_Macho wrote:

The driver's angry incredulity that Southworst used all the track on the exit of T2 is laughable.

I disagree.  Camera car entered turn on the outside to give room to faster traffic, stayed out wide and got fed a wheel for his troubles.  That segment right there sums up life in a class C car.  That move right there is exactly what Jay talked about in the Saturday morning meeting and is the same type of situation that destroyed the Ranchero last year.  Yes, the 737 car was in contention for a win but you don't see Eyesore, Cerveza or most of the other perennial leaders/winners using up other cars along their way.   Let's put it this way, there are cars that I give up the racing line so they can go on by without losing time and there are cars that I don't give up the racing line so they have to go around me.  It's really up to you and the way you drive me as to which route I let you have.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

8 (edited by Spank 2016-12-16 10:53 AM)

Thanks for posting the video.

I'm no great driver, but I think I can drive crap pretty well and your car appears to be on par with what I'm used to driving.

I'm not sure if it's because I was set up to expect this to be a string of Whoopsies or what, but a lot of those with the red-suited driver I saw coming. The driver seems to think the car is better than it is and goes too deep before braking or makes too many abrupt inputs simultaneously.

For a front wheel drive and in those higher speed situations or low adhesion areas of the track, the driver can't saw at the wheel like that. That FWD car is being asked to turn and/or accelerate / decelerate at the same time too abruptly for the car's level of adhesion. The driver is clearly not familiar with where the crossover point is where the car gets light or things just let go. It looks like it gives warning to a driver sensitive to it, but doesn't look like the red suited driver is sensitive enough to it.

It just takes seat time. I see it as typical over-eager newbie driving and more or less what the series caters to. It'll take discipline to willingly back off from what the ENGINE is capable of and back it down a few notches then slowly ramp up the speed and flirt with the grey areas of control after being able to repeatedly execute several stints with no near-incidents.

That car looks like it behaves a bit like my mini does when it is being driven at high speeds (on an open track)-- To go fast it want's to skate in a 4-wheel drift even though it's a fwd car. What I hope you're learning is that you can't do that with all of that traffic around you. The cars around you have waaaay different handling characteristics and can "hook" and "carve" a turn whereas my mini (and it seems your car with its current setup) wants to take a turn like one spreads an arc of peanutbutter across a slice of bread.

My mantra is "drive the laps and race the gaps" when I'm either wanting to test my or the car's limits: If there's unavoidable traffic clusters, just drive around without seeking to advance position. Let the packs of cars go by. Hang on the back of them with nobody on the left or right or behind you, then you can play with keeping up at their speeds and seeing how/if you can negotiate the turns or sections of track at those speeds they are traveling. Stick at the back of the pack as long as you can and if another pack catches you, the more quickly and uneventfully you let them buy, the sooner you can get back to spirited driving. Sonoma is not very conducive to this because it's pretty jam-packed.

Maybe that driver isn't a newbie, and sorry if I'm mis-characterizing him. But again, thanks for posting the foibles and letting us armchair quarterback and toss out "WhatI'dDo's" for the greater good.

To those who said our driver was a bad liar, I should clarify.  After going off exiting turn 2 he did go into the penalty box, but that visit to the clink was not entertaining at all so it didn't make the video.

Spank,

Also the same guy who was sawing at the wheel is a very experienced racer but not so much with FWD.  He's still our fastest driver in terms of consistency and fastest lap.  Though the rest of us are getting closer to being able to match his fastest.

I'm the guy in the red suit.  There was certainly over eagerness contributing to some of my errors.  Mea Culpa.

El Macho and Cheeseroo,
Cheeseroo hit it on the head.  I had waved them by, went through the turn right at the outside edge of the track to let them by.  I couldn't have given more room without mowing the lawn.  It was really close to contact.  Oh well it happens, a few times per race.  It always gets those fear/anger juices going which is why I cursed.  I was over my anger by turn 4.  Certainly no hard feelings. 

In response to El Macho's critique of my driving.  I'm sorry.  You clearly feel strongly about it.  I'm always trying to do better and we are always trying to improve our car. We have plans for returning the brake bias to its proper balance.  Those tires were also used up.  We swapped them on Sunday and it was like night and day.  Also after both of my big errors, I went in and put another driver in the car.  I knew it was better for all.  But to be fair in 6 full races that was our team's first spin or crash, though we put wheels off the track before.  The hit we got from the Volvo was the worst damage we've seen to date, and it was superficial.

Thanks again to everyone who dodged me and sorry again for making everyone dodge me.  And thanks for the constructive comments.