Topic: 08 Ford Focus or 97 Ford Taurus?

I'm trying to get a car built for NJMP race in May. As of now I have 2 cars that I'm considering. One is a 08 Ford Focus 2dr manual with 113000 miles runs great. The other is a 97 Taurus with a 3.0 v6 automatic. It is a 4dr.
This will be our first attempt at Lemons so I was curious to see if there are any opinions with these cars. I'm in Southern NJ down near cape may. If there is anyone interested in getting involved or helping out let me know

Re: 08 Ford Focus or 97 Ford Taurus?

typically consensus is to buy a build car as a first car. Just cause its a lot of work hrs to do. to build a car, investment is about 6k at least.
my 2c would be
if competing or learning the Focus would be smarter car. its 9 years old and should have more bits and pcs available.
Taurus if you trying to win anything.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

The biggest problem with the Taurus is the AX4N auto trans. You can make them last with a huge cooler and lots of directed air flow. You cannot take a tow to get your stranded lemon off of the track, unless the engine is running. That'll cook the tranny for sure. I can say they are rugged and stiff when caged.

Given the choice, the Focus has a Spec series, so cheatonium parts are available. I'd build that.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

By my 97 Honda Accord all ready to go for Lemons - has finished top 10 and is easy to drive!

http://www.racingjunk.com/24-Hours-of-L … s-Car.html

comes with full sets of new tires and spare parts. I can ship as well!

thanks,

I would recommend a '58 Ford Taunus, but that's just me...

RetroRacing-1973 Super! Beetle
Nine Finger Drifters- 1982 te72 Toyota Corolla Wagon (BEAMS PWRD!)
My one man show: G. D. Yo-Man: No! YOU Ams Da A&&hole!
2010 CMP Fall-Judges' Choice, 2014 Barber-DFL and I Got Screwed!, 3X- You Talk Shit Better Than You Race (YTSBTYR) Award, 2017 NCM- IOE (thanks, Speedy!), 2018 Inde-Heroic Fix, 2019 Inde-Winner C Class

I would pick the Taurus, since it is a crew cab.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

The 96-99 Taurus happens to be one of my favorite cars, I love the oval theme, these cars have excellent aerodynamics,
I have owned a few of them, including a couple SHO V8s.
However, they are pretty big and heavy cars, their front brakes tend to warp rotors, so might not be good choice for road racing.

Perhaps they would work better if the engine were moved to the rear wheels....plenty of space back there! wink

Thanks for the input, I know it's probably better to buy one already built. But I already have DOM tubing, pipe bender and welder, and plenty of experience building things. All i really have to buy is seat and new belts. At home I have a lift and all the tools necessary. I own a sign business and also have a complete sheetmetal and fab shop, so I thought it might be cheaper to build one. But if i find a local car for $1500 or so I might have tot go that route. Been using the focus for a "rally" car around the house, It's proven pretty tough it has decent power and jumps pretty good! If we don't destroy it jumping and racing through the woods/trails, I'll probably use the focus. I have a friend who has a towing business, He gives me cars all the time for racing around my property. So who knows what other cars will pop up and come available.