1 (edited by aaronmichorn 2017-01-09 05:25 PM)

Topic: Tire siping tool to loan out

http://i64.tinypic.com/2pque4z.jpg

So...  They don't make snow tires in a 35" diameter, so I bought one of these to sipe some mud tires before the race.  If anyone wants to borrow it before the race, message me, and I will send it out to you.  It grooves 1/4" and sipes 2 slices at a time.  I have about 8 blades left which should be good for 4-5 sets of tires.  I would prefer to do this as a pyramid scheme where you get it, use it, and pass it on to someone else before the race.  Each time, someone brings a case of frosty beverages to me and the last person who sent it to them to the starting line for the service.  It would be really cool if the last person to get it brings it back to me, or mails it back to me at some point. 

Or in Lemons reality.  I mail it out to someone, who doesn't get their car together and forgets they have it in their garage for the next 10 years.  Either way works, let me know.

1973ish ford bronco - 3 speeds but none are fast.

Re: Tire siping tool to loan out

Pretty sure the BFG KO/2 is "severe snow" rated in 35x12.5r15 or r17. It's not a winter tire per se, but neither are my Grabber AT2/s which are also "severe snow" rated and do pretty good in snow, which is pretty good for a tire that will survive Death Valley.

FWIW, Spreading baby powder on the tire beforehand makes it a ton easier to sipe.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Hm. The snow tires from my BRZ don't clear the suspension on the rally wagon (or something, haven't actually found the spot that rubs but the car doesn't move if you put it down), this could improve the survivability of the $50 Yokohama Touring tires.

I doubt I'm going to have time to do it, though. Are you coming on the rally? Hotel-parking-lot-siping sounds like a good way to pass the time if the forecast looks grim.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:

Hotel-parking-lot-siping sounds like a good way to pass the time if the forecast looks grim.

If it is too cold/ snowy, pull a wheel off and do the siping in the hotel room. A friend pulled his oil tank off his shovelhead and epoxied up a leak in the hotel room when we were on a bike trip years ago.

I was hoping to swap the tires off my DD for the race, lug pattern is right, but the center bore is too small on the wheels, so they won't fit over the ancient hubs.  So I am running 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT-R's  The new style.  They are pretty new, so I didn't want to replace them($1k).  They are perfect for where I live, just a little bit chunky tread for Buffalo in the winter.  I have had it get really sideways on ice in the mountains down here, so I grooved the larger lugs and then siped all of the lugs again.  I see no fail in this, because  obviously some jerk in his garage knows more than Goodyear-right?

I will have it until the race, and will bring it with me if no one yanks it before then.

1973ish ford bronco - 3 speeds but none are fast.