Topic: Need HVAC help in SoCal. Anyone? Or DIY?

I have no real options for what to install, afaik. All electric (no gas on premises). 3ton Heat pump combination unit w/ a 5kw heat strip (was recommended) (can't use a split system without significant ducting changes and cutting up floor to gain sizeable under house access)

Looking to connect it to existing ductwork.

Basically just need the unit delivered, wired up and wired to a thermostat. Wires are already there from old unit. Old unit was never tested when we bought the house, in fact. We just figure it's gotta go along most everything else that was with the house.

I got one all-inclusive estimate for a Goodman unit for $5200 and I really don't know if that's good or not. Before I start picking up the yellow pages and random dialing HVAC people, I wanted to see if there's any Lemons folks interested in the job whole or part.

I don't know what I don't know-- but something tells me I can just buy a unit through the interwebs and have someone wire it up, now? Connecting the ductwork is no different that plumbing in an intercooler on our turbocharged 998cc mini. Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't try DIY rather than the obvious that it probably won't get done for a few years while I research and research and become paralyzed by over analysis?

Re: Need HVAC help in SoCal. Anyone? Or DIY?

Spank wrote:

I have no real options for what to install, afaik. All electric (no gas on premises). 3ton Heat pump combination unit w/ a 5kw heat strip (was recommended) (can't use a split system without significant ducting changes and cutting up floor to gain sizeable under house access)

Looking to connect it to existing ductwork.

Basically just need the unit delivered, wired up and wired to a thermostat. Wires are already there from old unit. Old unit was never tested when we bought the house, in fact. We just figure it's gotta go along most everything else that was with the house.

I got one all-inclusive estimate for a Goodman unit for $5200 and I really don't know if that's good or not. Before I start picking up the yellow pages and random dialing HVAC people, I wanted to see if there's any Lemons folks interested in the job whole or part.

I don't know what I don't know-- but something tells me I can just buy a unit through the interwebs and have someone wire it up, now? Connecting the ductwork is no different that plumbing in an intercooler on our turbocharged 998cc mini. Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't try DIY rather than the obvious that it probably won't get done for a few years while I research and research and become paralyzed by over analysis?

Amazon sells them...depending on the ductwork mismatch it CAN be as simple as 4 wire for power and the thermostat wires.

https://www.amazon.com/Goodman-SEER-Pac … ckage+unit

No heat strip listed but a lot of those are plug-and-play.  Not the most reasonable prices on shipping as normally a liftgate delivery is about $600 is the distance to the house is not too far...commercial dock delivery is about $100 less.

Even back before Amazon I ordered a  gas/electric package unit to replace the one in my 1918 bungalow in Oklahoma.  It required a significant change in the ducting, the jumpers were not pre-wired for a common residential application.  If you have to turn your ducting from over/under to side-by-side (only way they come now I think) you are better of finding a local guy.

Make sure to get the refrigerant most common in the Communist Republic of Kalifornia...410 or 401.

Nice thing about package units you can get them with some cool items like economizer, variable DC blower motors, etc that are uncommon in residental applications.