Topic: Team in Birmingham, AL looking for a 4th team member

As stated, we are a 3 man team in B'ham (near Barbers) looking for a 4th and maybe 5th teammate. We are about 75% complete on our 93 V6 5 speed Mazda MX-3 build. It's stripped, caged, seated, etc. Super fun car to drive and weighs 2100 lbs right now. Our goal is to race local for a couple races until we have a feel for the car's reliability - Chump in Dec, Lemons in Feb (I assume) - both at Barbers. Maybe a track day here and there. We have a lot of interested friends, but apparently we also have a lot of broke-a$$ friends.

Us: 2 mechanical engineers and a computer dork. One is a skilled wrench/fabricator, one tries hard, and one should never have tools in his hands. Speak sarcasm fluently and respond to whiskey and Chick-fil-A biscuits.

If you're in the area and interested, hit us up.

Re: Team in Birmingham, AL looking for a 4th team member

Alabama or Auburn fans? Could be an interesting group. I am a skilled wrench, and have 4 or 5 Lemons races completed, not all running!

I am no where near you, so I am not a great "team mate" however if you end up needing an arrive and drive I am interested in the Lemons race at barber.  I am a Lemons car owner, and have over 20 races in Lemons. and countless races under my belt in other series 2 have been at Barber.
Wily

Your Miata Parts Pimp

Hi, Lemons noob here, but been wanting to get in on it for a while. I'm 25, living in Tuscaloosa, I've cobbled together a few motorcycles but don't have a ton of experience on cars, aside from general maintenance on mine. I'd love to learn some stuff and have a good time making bad decisions.

I don't have any track experience, I plan on getting some between now and when you guys would be racing, but I'm perfectly happy just helping out with the car and seeing about driving later. Down for anything, just let me know.

Hello;

A llttle about myself:
I live in Mobile and have no problem at all driving up the I-65 for work parties to spin a wrench.  I am not a mechanic but do a lot of work on my own vehicles.  I am in Birmingham often as my daughter goes to college there.  I have just recently moved to Mobile so I had to move away from my old Lemons team in Muscle Shoals.  I have driven at Barbers once in a Lemons race and twice for car show events.  I am very familiar with the track.  I already have all my safety gear.  Worked with my team mates to build a Lemons car in 2014 (94 Probe POS) and it passed tech first try.  Bone stock and ran middle of pack.

I am an IT professional by trade.  Am skilled in Sarcasm, but rarely drink whiskey while eating Chick-fil-A.  I think I could pick that up quickly though.  If you are still looking hopefully I would be a good fit for the team.  Hope to hear from you soon.

6 (edited by rebelgregory 2016-10-05 07:41 PM)

Whoa! Sorry I haven't revisited this post in awhile. When I first posted it, it didn't get any responses right off, so I kind of wrote it off.

To answer some questions, we are still in it. Car is a little farther along. Still looking for that 4th or 5th team member. We were prepared for just the 3 of us to go at it at first if our (almost) nonexistent recruiting efforts didn't pan out. We've altered our plan a little. I think we are going to bow out of the Dec Chump race because we lack track experience and the car has yet to be on a track. Not to mention that race is the southeast Championship for them so the cars all look stupid fast. We didn't want to fork over that kind of cheddar to spend the weekend anxiously looking in the rearview mirror. We've decided to spend that entry fee taking the car to track days between now and the next Barber's Lemons race (Feb?). That said, we'd welcome anyone that said they were interested to come hang out with us on a work day, track day, or even pay your own driver fee and take the car for a spin on a track day.

All of your responses look like they have potential. We're highly interested in anyone who's willing to pay a stakeholder's share, but we'd take arrive and drives as well. You can IM me for more details if interested. We'll get the dollar figures out of the way. We're not overly concerned with your ability to participate on wrench days if travel is an issue. I'm the defacto engineer/crewchief and pretty much have it covered with some assistance from the other 2 local guys. That said, Tuscaloosa isn't far away and neither is Mobile - by the way, that's my hometown. Went to Davidson High School and got my engineering degree from South Alabama - Go Jags!

To answer the most important of your questions - Alabama fans. We'll accept Auburn fans as teammates as long as you never mention Auburn, never wear their colors, and never say anything bad about Nick Saban. That man's a national treasure. Seriously though, I'm a Bama fan, one's a Georia Tech guy (he get's laughed at alot), and one is kind of indifferent.

Well this ended up longer than I anticipated (damn whiskey and chicken biscuits!). Short version: still interested; you all look like potential matches; teammates and A&Ds both welcome, IM me if you're serious about it; and Roll TIde!

Hey, I sent you a "forum e-mail", whatever that means. If you didn't receive that, let me know and we can figure out a better way to communicate. Definitely interested.

Hello;

Tried sending an email last week.  Looks like it went but I havent heard back.  Just checking back in case you got jammed up and havent had time for email.  Hope to hear from you soon.  In case phone is easier for you I am including my phone number.

Regards

Frank Cavin
256-443-2011

This is a crazy request.  I'm on a team but we have seven team mates.  I need to join a team so I can drive.  I called Lemons all you have to be is part of a team.  You can drive any car.  I know this sounds crazy and you don't know me but I would really appreciate you gave me a call.  423-595-3952.  My name is Steve.  Thanks so much.

bna1jsb wrote:

This is a crazy request.  I'm on a team but we have seven team mates.  I need to join a team so I can drive.  I called Lemons all you have to be is part of a team.  You can drive any car.  I know this sounds crazy and you don't know me but I would really appreciate you gave me a call.  423-595-3952.  My name is Steve.  Thanks so much.

This is actually a somewhat common request.  If you post it down in the various "whose in for XXXX" threads normally there is a team with only 3-4 drivers that let you sign on with them.  You have to work out the financials if it is four drivers and you are the fifth.

Do you have your team set yet? I'm in Houston, just had a stint (piston blew) at MSR Houston and am anxious to get back behind the wheel. I don't rub fenders, but then I'm not very fast yet, either. I can do some wrenching on that weekend, but my mechano-diagnostic skills are minimal.
Good luck!

Post pictures of the car so I know who to come make fun of while my car is not track definitely not breaking for the first time ever.

13 (edited by rebelgregory 2016-12-21 09:24 PM)

Sorry everyone. I've been away for awhile again.

So we actually talked to/met a couple of the guys who replied earlier in the thread. One of the sounds like he's for sure in, and he's signed up as our fourth driver. The other is also a potential prospect. Both great guys. So I believe we have our 4 full-fledged team members, but may still entertain a 5th. As for the request to sign onto our team to drive a different car, I don't see the harm in that. It's late so I won't call, but if you're still interested, you can reach me at 251-643-4974. Call or text, doesn't matter.

Just a general update. Car is (still) about 95% done and we did a very cold (for Alabama), very wet track day at Barbers last sunday. The car was impressive even in the wet although I did manage to spin it once. Got a little too aggressive in the rain. But the car performed flawlessly.

14 (edited by rebelgregory 2016-12-21 09:32 PM)

Deleted

15 (edited by rebelgregory 2016-12-21 09:31 PM)

I don't know how to post pics, but here are links to a few from my google drive.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pRJKn … U9DhgqoRBg

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11lGcf … 9AXQQp91Ow

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uc0mY … ZSA1myWnNw

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZE2NA … 6-vQa48oag

I saw your car at Barber! I was in my red MR2. If I had realized it was a Lemons team I would have come over and harassed you!

Emily's Power for a Cure 1988 Mazda RX7 (I Got Screwed 2014 Southern Discomfort)
Help in the fight against Neuroblastoma, a devastating childhood cancer.
http://emilyspowerforacure.com/

Hate we missed you. What a day that was, though. I'm still cold. Pretty sure I remember your MR2. Is that a turbo car?

thats how you spell chick fil a?

Well...with hyphens and stuff.

Can't tell where you live, but if you live in a place in the country without a Chick-fil-A, MAN ARE YOU MISSING OUT.

Quick - name the best chicken restaurant.

WRONG!!!

It's Chick-fil-A