Topic: Turbo ideas for an E28?

We have a 1984 533i E28 BMW and are kicking around cheap turbo ideas anybody try anything like this before?

Re: Turbo ideas for an E28?

There was a turbo E28 that ran on the west coast.  I cant find a pic of it.  Seems like it was white with the turbo sticking up out of the hood.  Fast.  But not for long.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Yeah, we are getting a little itchy this winter and keep coming up with hair brain ideas.  We got to keep reminding ourselves that we are rookies and this is endurance racing.

m30b35 is probably cheaper than any working turbo.  Not as Lemony though.
Turbo really means (turbo, plumbing, fuel mixture, blow off valve, possible intercooler)

The sharks (racesharks.com) or eyesore (http://jalopnik.com/5091655/eyesore-rac … er-monkeys) can probably give you tips though.  Eyesore has much of their build posted on the interwebs.

5 (edited by gunn 2017-01-11 10:49 PM)

BRAZZ wrote:

Yeah, we are getting a little itchy this winter and keep coming up with hair brain ideas.  We got to keep reminding ourselves that we are rookies and this is endurance racing.

Consider this:
0) Work on your epic theme.
1) Buy a donor car.
2) Pull the engine and transmission as a spare. As you do so, figure out how to more easily reinstall it in your chassis (ex: add quick disconnects for the clutch line if it's not easy to disconnect, reroute electrical wiring so it all comes from one side of the chassis, etc.).
3) Study your chassis and decide what items (ex: suspension bits) might break if you/someone else hits your car at each corner. Save those as race spares. If you have the room, save the fenders, radiator, and front radiator support in case you rear end someone. Save any other items that you might need as well or might want to use in the future as trade-in cores (ex: don't BMWs eat ECUs? or save the calipers).
4) Part out the rest of the carcass on enthusiast forums/craigslist/eBay/etc.
5) Take the spare engine+trans and refresh them -- the level you do so may depend on your willingness to be cheaty and or your confidence in not f-ing up your spares (check bearing tolerences and replace fluids at one end all the way to full teardown at the other).
6) If your engine survives the first race, swap it out with the spare. This way, you have a race proven engine+trans combo. You can then go crazy turbo if you want on the second engine knowing that if you blow it, you'll be able to finish the race with your known spare..

The above list should give a motivated team plenty of stuff to do over the winter.
-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

Thanks Gunn!  High Plains has open days starting in February.  We can use advise like you posted and be ready for the race in June.  Luckily the car we bought came with a spare engine and we will likely rebuild that one and use this for a spare.

A stock e28 will be fast enough at HPR, but if you like breaking stuff we won't stand in your way.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

RichVS wrote:

A stock e28 will be fast enough at HPR, but if you like breaking stuff we won't stand in your way.

Yeah it is a hair brain rookie scheme but with the feedback we are getting sounds like we need to just worry about finishing. 

Still, I am  fascinated by the possibilities.

BRAZZ wrote:

Still, I am  fascinated by the possibilities.

Then for race 2 or three plan on doing manly boost with a supercharger out of Park Avenue Ultra.  This is a much better (bad) idea.

10 (edited by OlCreFoo 2017-01-14 09:21 PM)

You'll be surprised how much fun the e28 is in stock form. It's likely to give you good track time if you put a race or two under you before headaches from the forced induction. 

Make sure you can keep control arm bushings in it. Change them to new, now.  I think we need to change them daily.

Have you checked into the 524d though?  There's a whole forced induction section at mye28.

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

11 (edited by BRAZZ 2017-01-14 09:56 PM)

OlCreFoo wrote:

You'll be surprised how much fun the e28 is in stock form. It's likely to give you good track time if you put a race or two under you before headaches from the forced induction. 

Make sure you can keep control arm bushings in it. Change them to new, now.  I think we need to change them daily.

Have you checked into the 524d though?  There's a whole forced induction section at mye28.

I think we are going to concentrate on finishing this year so your advice on the control arm bushings is great to know.  We also want to be sure the fuel system is all clean and ready.  Do you have any other specific E28 problems we should be paying close attention too?

The CAB won't keep you from racing, but you'll experience the worst braking shake if they're not good (even if visually they look fine). Take the arms off to inspect ball joints, and ensure they free up without bench vices, pullers, plus hefty beatings. That'd be even worse to do trackside.

Fuel is good to go over. We've had both pumps fail separately.

We're going to figure out a way to get additional camber up front. We've killed the outside of new tires up front before the end of a weekend.

I can probably put together more thoughts in email if you all are interested in swapping info there. PM me and I'll be glad to share what I know that we've been through with the e28.

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

OlCreFoo wrote:

The CAB won't keep you from racing, but you'll experience the worst braking shake if they're not good (even if visually they look fine). Take the arms off to inspect ball joints, and ensure they free up without bench vices, pullers, plus hefty beatings. That'd be even worse to do trackside.

Fuel is good to go over. We've had both pumps fail separately.

We're going to figure out a way to get additional camber up front. We've killed the outside of new tires up front before the end of a weekend.

I can probably put together more thoughts in email if you all are interested in swapping info there. PM me and I'll be glad to share what I know that we've been through with the e28.

I sent a PM

e28 recipe for domination:

UCA bushings are the biggest weak spot.   Many options.  Minimally replace them ahead of time.
The in tank fuel pump dies regularly and is too expensive.  Unless you are racing in the heat, just bypass it with a hose.  Alternatively, move the real pump there.
The e34 3.5 engine has a bit more power and the swap is well documented on the web at mye28.com
fixed camber plates are readily available and are cheap.  They can also easily be made.
bigger brakes from 7 series or v8 5 series bolt right up
Rebuild the hydraulic booster or convert to vacuum.  Rebuild kit is avail on mye28
Replace rear subframe bushings as they fail quickly
crank position sender is a weak spot if you stay with the m30b34
medium case limited slip diffs are available with good ratios from 3 series.

Pete