Topic: Cage Through B-Pillar OK?

Wondering if this is acceptable for Lemons:

https://photos.smugmug.com/MotoIQ/Project-Cars/Project-Professional-Awesome/i-jssV6SQ/2/L/Complete%20Driver%27s%20Side-L.jpg

Seems a lot safer than this:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c211/bfreehill/cage2_zpsd3b27557.jpg

On the red car, that reverse bend to get around the B-pillar is a major weak spot - an impact in the door bars will bend that area right into the seat.

The problem is with a narrow door opening in a narrow car and a seat that needs to be basically even with and right up against the B-pillar the main hoop ends up 6-10 inches behind the B-pillar. 

To offset the weakening of the B-pillar caused by the holes I'd like to plate around the openings and weld the plates to the tube and to the B-pillar.

Thoughts?

Electric Mayhem Racing

2 (edited by Spank 2017-01-20 05:08 PM)

Re: Cage Through B-Pillar OK?

I am not an engineer.

In the first cage, I don't like how far away that main hoop is from the A-pillar legs, and I don't like how steep of an angle that A-pillar bend is at the windscreen. In a rollover that hits hard near the top of the windscreen, I see that flattening (draw a straight line from hoop to the dash, essentially). An extreme scenario, but with the current design as pictured that's a cavernous space between the main hoop and the A-pillar. That cage DEFINITELY needs an FIA bar, IMHO. Not sure what else it's called, but one that runs from the roof joint of the A-pillar/windscreen node straight down to the A-pillar foot plate. I also would like to see it triangulated from the roof bar at about the B-pillar down to the top doorbar node at the hoop, like in the red car pic by a larger triangle like FIA rally cars.

http://www.rocketrally.com/dloads/parts/MY08Cage/08build_151_sm.jpg.

But again, I'm not an engineer and am just blabbing based on what I've seen from other cages and my own beliefs of how tubes could behave in impact situations.

The idea to plate the B pillar holes and then weld them to the tube seems like when you do the circumference weld of the middle of the tube where it passes through, aren't you potentially introducing a weak spot for sheer forces (which is essentially what you want the door bar to resist-- the sheer forces from a forced intrusion)? I know in the Prius I caged and while I was researching it (there's a first responders publication from Toyota on the Prius),the B pillar is made of a different steel alloy (more boron??) as is the roof rail area and is supposedly tougher than traditional construction materials and may not react to extrication tools the way they anticipate, and alternative entry points are offered. Anyway, the whole point of that statement is you may not need to worry about the holes in the B pillar if you choose to punch through there.

I have no answers. Just questions to consider. It's all a tradeoff. You and your car's occupants will have to be happy with which way you choose to bias your decision making and cage design.

[made some edits for typos and clarity]

I've seen more than one car with that S-bend door bar setup and I don't it should be allowed period.  Definitely a weak spot right where you wouldn't want one.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … 45&p=2

A question comes to mind... how should you build a cage when the driver is well back of the OEM position? I'm assuming that's the intent of the first picture in the thread.

The below came to mind, Lemons legal (at least as of the date of the picture).

http://www.vanagonhacks.com/wp-content/uploads/magnum-racer.jpg

Looks like a front hoop/main hoop design. Front hoop looks totally vertical. Bonus down bars ("frontstays"?) on the front hoop. Are there other ways that cage is compensating for not being near the envelope of the cabin at the front?

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

Do you have room to go outside the B pillar?

I'm not sure all inspectors would pass a B pillar with holes in it for the cage. Might depend on how good the cage is. Before you potentially ruin your car you should email teo with your plans.

As for the door bar with the return bend, it's not ideal but depending on its design it may be better than a straight bar impact wise. It likely depends on the design though. I'd love to see some aftermath, testing, or simulation of a return bend door bar. Something I've been wanting to do in solidworks to see what happens.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

7 (edited by OnkelUdo 2017-01-21 05:32 AM)

I am 90% sure this was covered in the past and the response from Evil genius was no...unless you can prove you improved on the OEM structure you destroyed.  I got all ugly in the "other series/bodies say it is OK" manner.

Definitely clear your plans with John the Tech guy mentioned above...  That said the 4 door E34 my team brought to the Joliet 24HR race had door bars through the B pillar - the car passed tech with no issues.  YMMV of course...

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

9 (edited by zebrabeefj40 2017-01-20 07:46 PM)

...stooopid computer operator error...

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

10 (edited by Spinnetti 2017-01-21 07:10 AM)

jrbe wrote:

Do you have room to go outside the B pillar?

I'm not sure all inspectors would pass a B pillar with holes in it for the cage. Might depend on how good the cage is. Before you potentially ruin your car you should email teo with your plans.

As for the door bar with the return bend, it's not ideal but depending on its design it may be better than a straight bar impact wise. It likely depends on the design though. I'd love to see some aftermath, testing, or simulation of a return bend door bar. Something I've been wanting to do in solidworks to see what happens.

"Ruin your car" lol..... Lemons, remember?

The white car pictured has a sweet cage. Way better than any cage I've seen in Lemons for sure. Having bars through the B like pictured is WAY stronger than the S bend and increases stiffness - to do over I would do it that way. Also, and perhaps as important, it increases the crush zone between you and the cage increasing your survivability.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

11 (edited by jrbe 2017-01-21 01:45 PM)

By the time you cage it, prep it, and show up to your first race you're into the car for a bunch of time, materials, and $. If teo says you can't drill the B pillar and you did, you just ruined all of that work, materials, & effort. "Car" meant all of the work, the shell is likely of little value.
A quick email to TEO avoids that if it is in fact an issue.

Depending on B pillar construction, it could be stronger (unmolested) than the tube you are thinking of drilling through it. If the main hoop is 8 feet back from the a pillar, that's a long door tube to absorb a lot of energy in a crash. The longer it is the easier it is to bend / deform.
I'd love to see a side impact test of cage 1 vs cage 2 in the original post. I'd put $5 on the top cage actually being less safe than the 2nd one, especially if the impact from the other car is a corner vs the whole front, if the t-bonin vehicle is tall, or of its an odd for road racing top of the windshield impact.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

Have you considered moving the drivers position instead?

Picture A is totally legal.  Ive built multiple cars that way, however I usually weld the nascar bars to the b pillar where they intersect.  As for the main hoop being behind b pillar, thats totally legal as well.  4 door cars usually end up built that way.  Its in the same position it would be if it was a 2 door car.  The angle of the main hoop is ok as well, and can be tilted back up to 10 degrees.

I see nothing wrong with cage A I would rather be in cage A at hit 150 MPH then in cage B . The B pillar is not doing much but to keep the door from falling off
Bob

I would add that our e34 (mentioned in post #8) with door bars through the B-pillar, plated & welded, has also run numerous CC and AER events, no problem with tech.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

16 (edited by firegremlin 2017-01-23 08:19 AM)

FWIW, I just had to cut my b-pillar in half on a Sentra, and then sorta-reconstruct it, because the nascar bar ran right through it. Of all the things I've cut off of cars over the years, this one would be one of the more tech-friendly, for sure. That said, sawzall advice from me is always questionable.

P.S. Is it just me, or the nascar bars on car #2 are supposed to be the other way around, narrow end towards your feet, so that wide end gives you more seat/elbow space/clearance? That's how I've always done them O:

K Car Stalker

It's probably been covered well enough already, but Lemons still lets you chop the top off the car which involves making the top of the b pillar go away so I don't see why they would care if you punch a couple holes in it. You should be okay.

But in the end you need to email John Pagel and/or Jay Lamm to get a real answer as we're all just participants not the ones calling the shots.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

dculberson wrote:

It's probably been covered well enough already, but Lemons still lets you chop the top off the car

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/ae/f5/03/aef50301d056b522f7d092eb9dbfcc25.jpg

K Car Stalker

Quick update, as I did email Jay about this.  I would summarize his response as follows:

1) Going through the B-pillar is not an automatic fail but it has to be very well done and they don't recommend it out of hand

2) Consider going around the outside of the B-pillar if you can so you're only cutting away non-structural door skins.

3) "Most importantly", in the images above, both cages have main hoops that are positioned very far to the back of the cabin, which results in very long (and weak) door bars, regardless of their configuration.  Try to keep the main hoop as close to the seat back as possible while still providing room to secure the harness. 

Based on this I'm going to scoot the seat forward another inch or two - even though my 6'1" frame might not like it as much - and tilt the main hoop back a little bit so the base of the main hoop and door bar attachment locations are as far forward as I can get them.

Electric Mayhem Racing

Here's a crappy picher of ours:
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/734412_10151581078814758_1320639114_n.jpg?oh=a4d81ca2747a1ab1ed7e8ef23f34b085&oe=591E6E31

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

FJ40Jim wrote:

Here's a crappy picher of ours:
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/734412_10151581078814758_1320639114_n.jpg?oh=a4d81ca2747a1ab1ed7e8ef23f34b085&oe=591E6E31

Like...

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

22 (edited by firegremlin 2017-01-26 01:16 PM)

mgavro wrote:

Quick update, as I did email Jay about this.  I would summarize his response as follows:

1) Going through the B-pillar is not an automatic fail but it has to be very well done and they don't recommend it out of hand

2) Consider going around the outside of the B-pillar if you can so you're only cutting away non-structural door skins.

3) "Most importantly", in the images above, both cages have main hoops that are positioned very far to the back of the cabin, which results in very long (and weak) door bars, regardless of their configuration.  Try to keep the main hoop as close to the seat back as possible while still providing room to secure the harness. 

Based on this I'm going to scoot the seat forward another inch or two - even though my 6'1" frame might not like it as much - and tilt the main hoop back a little bit so the base of the main hoop and door bar attachment locations are as far forward as I can get them.

Le Sigh.

Don't tilt the hoop much, if at all, it has to be as close to vertical as possible.  I put the main hoop right behind the driver seat, 90 degrees to the floor, comfy for 6'3" people, and it's still way forward of a lot of cages I've seen. A cage that fits "snugly" but comfortably around your largest driver is NOT "too far back".

Don't go OUTSIDE the b-pillar because that would likely push your bar right against the door skin. One nice tap in the driver door and that very same Jay will be (rightfully) telling you to redo the door bars, or the entire cage, because it's been hit too hard. Leave a decent amount of room in there; keep the oem door crash bar or add some other crushable barrier between the door and the cage.

FJ40Jim's way of doing this is 100% correct, IMO. Notch the pillar, install bars, close it back up with leftover plate or even some ~16 gauge steel. I'm doing that exact thing right now, we did that on the previous Sentra as well, and never had any complaints.

K Car Stalker