Topic: Oil accumulator accusump mounting

So we have found after 3 races we are losing pressure under hard breaking and hard right turns, adding insult to injury we also burn a bit of oil. The pan is clean the pickup is clear, the oil pump is good.  For our next race I have added some baffling to the an, but a team member found a morose oil accumulator from I am guess the 80s.  It also came with a handful of an fittings so after buying new line and a rebuild kit we are going to be in it for less than $100.  It had the old manual valve so I need to build a remote rod for it or mount it in the cabin. With the rule

3.F.6 Fuel, Oil, and Coolant in the Cockpit. Any fuel, oil, or coolant reservoirs or lines that are exposed to, or pass through, the driving compartment must be encased by heavy-duty conduit, durable steel or aluminum pipe, or strong metal plate. OE metal lines in good condition in their original location are exempt from this rule, but encasement is still recommended.

Can an accumulator be mounted in the cockpit,  the oil line will be steel braided?
Could I build a box around it and mount it in the cockpit? 
Do I have to mount it under the hood somewhere?

Thanks

Re: Oil accumulator accusump mounting

The closer it is to the engine, the better it will work. Can you put a choke cable or something on the valve? Canton sells a cable for their Accusump but it's pricey. There's really no harm in just leaving the valve open though, it'll just empty and refill every time you stop/start the engine.

One thing about an Accusump is there seems to rarely be any room (under the hood) to mount the damn thing.  I bought a used one on Ebay for my track car and realized that unless I wanted to have it inside the car, I'd have to ditch the idea, so I sold it.

I personally wouldn't want a container of pressurized scalding-hot oil inside the cabin with me.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Also, if it's the old-style Accumulator which is basically just an empty bottle, it needs to be mounted vertically. If it's like a real Accusump with a rubber bladder separating the air head, it can be mounted however you like.

This needs to be mounted vertically:
http://static.speedwaymotors.com/RS/SR/Product/54523930_L.jpg

This style
https://jet.com/product/detail/21907141 … AvjA8P8HAQ

And we tried the extra quart.....

6 (edited by gunn 2017-01-31 12:08 PM)

On my 95 tbird, I mount mine up in the fender well with a thick plastic PVC pipe cut into a scatter shield for it. It's far enough up there and it's forward of the tire so something really tragic would have to hit the ground and bounce UP or someone would have to hit that fender with prejudice to hit the accusump. FWIW, the ABS motor/control assembly is in the same position (if not slightly lower) on the other side of the car so we are equally in danger of significant repair work if we get hit on the opposite side.

I even went so far as to write "Accusump" on the shield so no judge could ever accuse us of cheating (not that anyone is ever accused of cheating for being in the middle of the pack).

I've also seen people mount it on the firewall behind the engine but that's more hose to fabricate.

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

Maybe get a second one and just mount them to the tops of the fenders

blenny wrote:

Can an accumulator be mounted in the cockpit,  the oil line will be steel braided?

We have an Accusump mounted in the rear seat area. It's connected to the engine using braided metal hose with AN fittings which runs along the center of the floor from the rear through the firewall. There is a ball valve to turn it on/off positioned near the gearshift so the driver can reach it while belted in. We have run 5 Lemons race weekends so far (all in the northeast) and not had any issues passing tech. We don't go out of our way to point it out, but the system is easily visible in the cockpit (not hidden).

We Audi Be Faster
'85 Audi Coupe G(in &) T(onic)