Topic: List of cars by parts or the other way around

I would like to add an oil cooler and move my battery to the back.

To accomplish these, I'd like to pull parts from other cars while I am down at the pick n pull.

Would it be too much to hope for to find a list or a way to search that would show something like:
Oil cooler:
Found On:
2002-2006 Camero SS
2000-2009 Ford Mustang GT

Rear Mount Battery Cables:
Found On:
1999-2016 BMW M series

Or do I just need to research  and look around on-site?

Trevor

Re: List of cars by parts or the other way around

It isn't just the M series BMW that has the battery in the back, I believe all the E30 & E36's do too.  Lincoln LS and modernish jaguars do as well.  BMW's tend to get picked over but those other brands do not.  Finding an SS or GT in a pick n pull is likely not going to be easy and one that still has the SS/GT specific parts still on it is going to be harder.  I'd look for cars where the entire range had an oil cooler stock.  I believe Volvo C/S/V series cars all had them.  RX7's all had them.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Ford e-series vans have a nice compact trans cooler that is easy to remove from behind the front grill.

4 (edited by ross2004 2017-01-04 12:18 PM)

No way I'd run a used oil cooler from the JY. Who knows what's floating around in there, or waiting to be dislodged once you're out on track. Ebay, $40 for a new one. Get the stacked plate style, not tube & fin.

If you know one specific vehicle that a part is found on, Rock Auto is your friend here.

You can search for the part in one application, and then when you click on the part number it pops up a list of other makes, models, and years that the part was used on.

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

The Hollander Interchange manual is the electronic one-stop-shop you're looking for, but it is very expensive. I also have no idea how complete or accurate it is.

I use the same method described above by piper.gras. RockAuto's database definitely isn't perfect, and it often doesn't list specific models in the part number interchange if the part was used by many models within a certain make, but you can always spot-check specific vehicles once you get a make and year range. Also, it's free.

Miatas have rear mount batteries.

Ground next to the battery, run a generic length to the kill switch.

That guy

8 (edited by zebrabeefj40 2017-01-04 05:45 PM)

A fair number of GM big cars put the battery under the rear passenger seat.  My father's 2000 Buick Century Limited (or something like that...) was built that way.  My BMW E30 had a rear mount battery as already noted.  Some of the 1999 and newer fullsized Ford trucks had oil coolers as did the fullsize RWD big cars.  I would be willing to use a used engine oil cooler IF the donor was in a crash but otherwise looked well cared for.  But as pointed out - new coolers are short money and a ruined race weekend costs WAY more than the money you saved on that questionable junkyard cooler.

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

9 (edited by firegremlin 2017-01-05 10:30 AM)

I strongly recommend OEM water-to-oil coolers that are made for your engine, if there were any (like volvos and Nissans). They usually mount onto the oil filter housing. You feed them with hoses that normally go into the heater core. That way you don't oil down the track once you get a rock in your oil cooler.

In general, non-stock oil coolers mounted with cheap aftermarket sandwich plate adapters tend to have a reasonably high chance of making more problems than they'd be solving. As in, if you're going that route, make sure to do everything right or you'll be blowing a motor 3 laps in because of some mystery feature that fed you an air bubble, or let out all the oil, or kept your oil at 20f temperature at a Gingerman race.

G-bodies (Bonneville, LeSabre, etc) had a battery under the seat. That said, try using a soft new auto parts store 4ga or 2ga cable from starter to the kill switch, and a  low strand count (~3-10) hard-ish 6ga or even 8ga cable from a hardware store, from the kill switch to the battery. That cable doesn't need to flex, so you can go down a size, use thinner hard insulation, and still get the same conductivity. It's lighter, cheaper, and once properly attached it's less likely to give you problems.

K Car Stalker

5.0 V8 Explorers have a water cooled oil filter adapter thingie, and the tow packages have an aux trans cooler in front
of the radiator.

cheseroo wrote:

It isn't just the M series BMW that has the battery in the back, I believe all the E30 & E36's do too.  Lincoln LS and modernish jaguars do as well.  BMW's tend to get picked over but those other brands do not.  Finding an SS or GT in a pick n pull is likely not going to be easy and one that still has the SS/GT specific parts still on it is going to be harder.  I'd look for cars where the entire range had an oil cooler stock.  I believe Volvo C/S/V series cars all had them.  RX7's all had them.

X5's have the battery in the back too.

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

Oil coolers are all over the place, you can find a bunch in the truck section anything that looked to be setup to tow.  I also found a real nice one on 90s caddy.

Battery cables the BMW are starting to get harder to find because people know about them.  Might be better to look at the new volvos since I don't think as many people know to look there.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

Oil coolers are all over the place, you can find a bunch in the truck section anything that looked to be setup to tow.  I also found a real nice one on 90s caddy.

Our first oil cooler came out of a Caddy of that vintage...1/2" NPT fittings.  The rest were from 3/4 ton Ford Econolines.

Make friends with RX7 racers and get all their old oil coolers when they upgrade.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

I got my oil cooler from an old box truck!

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Ultra flex (typically orange) welding cable is the hot setup for high amperage battery leads IME/IMO. 

https://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/einst … :terms::PA

S/F....Ken M

We stripped a nice 00 gauge cable from an E30-vintage BMW at our pick n' pull to move our battery to the trunk. If you can't find one locally, I can harvest one and mail it.

If you need to splice, take copper tubing from the hardware store and use a hammer to crimp. The copper lugs and splices at Autozone I found not useful because they were off too small a gauge (04, maybe?)

Giubo Grabbers #190 - 91 Mercedes 190E
2016 CMP Fall South "Heroic Fix" Winner

I'm not sure if all of them are rear mount but we just fixed a 2013 Dodge Charger and it had a rear mount battery, it was a police package so i don't know if that makes a difference

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

The E36 is the easiest of all the good rear-mount battery cables to pull at the junkyard. As for oil coolers, turbocharged Volvo 740s and 940s have very nice coolers, as do some RX-7s. The P71 Police Interceptor Crown Vic has a pretty good oil cooler, and it's easy to find those cars at Pick-n-Pull.

Chargers and Challengers have rear mounted batteries.

Love our volvo oil cooler on the metsho, its a setrab, right from the factory!

It has some weird threads that we never figured out so i just welded jic steel fittings straight to the tubes

Mike @ Charnal House Inc.
Like us on Facebook!
Or send us a message at CharnalHouse@gmail.com

I had a nice cooler from a P71 Crown Vic, but the fittings were
so tight that the fitting tore the cooler while trying to remove it.
Ended up spending some $$ and bout a Mishimoto oil cooler.
Turns out they have a LIFETIME WARRANTY that even covers
crash damage. You only need to put a rock through it once
to pay for itself.

Most trans coolers won't flow enough for the engine oil, so be careful going down that route.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater