Topic: Heater Box Retrofit - Donor Recomendation

I need to retrofit some sort of heater box into my Opel. The current parts car I have on hand is a '97 Explorer, but that box looks pretty overkill, and I won't be needing the A/C side of it.

What is a good car to steal a heater box from? I'm looking for something with mechanical controls, cable preferably, maybe vacuum. Medium small case. Diverter for Defrost, Vent, Floor.

The Opel's firewall is already rusty because someone thought it was a good idea to integrate the battery tray into the firewall and drain the cowl vents through it.

Next Rally Car: An abandoned 1972 Opel GT (Plan-B: My late grandparent's 1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic)
Previous Rally Cars: 1971 Opel Kadett, 1988 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24, 1998 Volvo V90 (5.0L), 1965 Ford Galaxie 500 (turbocharged 351W)

Re: Heater Box Retrofit - Donor Recomendation

Look for something older than 1995. Before that many cars still had manual controls.
A small car will have a small box so look accordingly.

80s Japanese pickup trucks all have manual controls.

long shot, but pre-1970  jeep CJ's have really rudimentary heaters, with a box for the core under the hood, and the fan on the inside of the firewall.  Not known for their amazing heat output though.  However, in an actual hard topped car it might be enough.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

I have been thinking on this for my next build.  Make up a copper 3/4 pipe to run at the bottom of the windshield and slide over it with aluminum 2 inch flex ducting and cut some slot alone the top . Then use a small fan at one end and block off the other end. just plum it in to where the stock heater core would go with water shut offs. When we where at NH last year it was so cold and rainy every windshield was hard to see there. We still had the stock Beetle vents and blower working it did not do the job, needed some heat to help clear the windshield.
Bob Mann
DRVOLKS