Topic: I need a chunk of a SBC

I am repairing the broken bell housing web on a Small Block Chevy. I only need the area with the 3rd  bolt up from the driver's side.  4" to either side of the bolt hole would serve my purpose. So if you have a scrap Small  Block that is going to get tossed & are willing to cut that section out & ship it I am willing to pay for it. I will also be at the upcoming Sear Pointless race if you just want to bring the block.

Tired Iron Racing, Class A Winner of 2023 Days of Thunder & the Hooptie-Con Engine heat Cooking Competition, otherwise just a 50x loser, which is somehow able to finish in the top ten, if we don't step on our own dicks.

2 (edited by DelinquentRacer 2017-03-01 12:09 AM)

Re: I need a chunk of a SBC

I've gotta scrap block in Petaluma.
Can you send me a pick, or post one, of how much you want?
I can probably get it to you this weekend.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

You need this:

http://www.alumaloy.com/castaloy-specs

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

racinrob wrote:

You need this:

Over the years I have tried a lot of odd promise everything miracle  alloys but for this project I think I will stick with good old high nickle "Farm Rod" or I will TIG braze it.

Tired Iron Racing, Class A Winner of 2023 Days of Thunder & the Hooptie-Con Engine heat Cooking Competition, otherwise just a 50x loser, which is somehow able to finish in the top ten, if we don't step on our own dicks.

racinrob wrote:

You need this:

It may work if he had an aluminum LS motor but he says he has a SB Chevy which to me means a cast iron block 350 CID old school Chevy V8.
A braze, TIG, or even MIG weld with the correct filler rod or wire should fix it.

Do preheat the block and cool it slowly. One way is to bury the block in sand with the part to be fixed exposed. Heat up the block slowly with a "soft" flame torch and then do the fix. Then cover the whole block to slow cooling.
There are better ways but also more involved and harder to accomplish.

Cylinder head repairs are way easier as you can put the whole head in an oven to get it all to the same temp. before welding on it.
That's what I did to a head many years ago. I also MIG welded on it with the correct filler wire. It worked fine for me for years afterward.

jimbbski wrote:
racinrob wrote:

You need this:

It may work if he had an aluminum LS motor but he says he has a SB Chevy which to me means a cast iron block 350 CID old school Chevy V8.
A braze, TIG, or even MIG weld with the correct filler rod or wire should fix it.

Do preheat the block and cool it slowly. One way is to bury the block in sand with the part to be fixed exposed. Heat up the block slowly with a "soft" flame torch and then do the fix. Then cover the whole block to slow cooling.
There are better ways but also more involved and harder to accomplish.

Cylinder head repairs are way easier as you can put the whole head in an oven to get it all to the same temp. before welding on it.
That's what I did to a head many years ago. I also MIG welded on it with the correct filler wire. It worked fine for me for years afterward.

Jim, the link is for castaloy, made for repairing cast.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013