Topic: what happens when a driver no shows

Another team member and I was talking last night the question came about "What happens if one of the team members get sick or something else happens at the house the night before or during the race.". We are a 4 man team could we still run 2 to 3 guys or do we have find another driver? I tried to find some posts about this but no luck.

2 (edited by mharrell 2017-03-01 10:24 AM)

Re: what happens when a driver no shows

You can run as few drivers as you like, as long as you've paid for at least four. Nobody checks how many people end up driving the car.

Edit: The flip side of this is that you also can let "guest" drivers drive your car in excess of six total, as long as those other drivers are officially associated with some other car at the race and have paid as drivers for that other car. You just have to pay for no fewer than four and no more than six drivers per vehicle. Again, nobody keeps track of who ends up driving what. The only thing checked is that the person taking the car onto the track has a driver's wristband, which is to say that person is properly registered with some car, even if it isn't the one being driven.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

You get to race with however many show up.  You only need to have 4 drivers slots paid for.  Although it is highly discouraged, there has been two occasions that I know of where a team ran with only one driver.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

2 drivers is tough, 3 works pretty well.  We normally have 3 drivers in a weekend, but like said earlier you still pay for 4.

Wisconsin Crap Racers #113 E36
I.O.E. Winners 2023 Gingerman
2016 and 2017 Cure for Gingivitis Champs!
30+ time Losers!

We had an occasion where we only had three drivers show up.   Then, as fate would have it, one of the three tripped over a safety cone in the middle of Saturday night (he claims no alcohol was involved) and broke his wrist.   This put us down to two for Sunday, and one was late getting to the track Sunday morning.

Then fate stepped in.   The next-door team's den mother came over and said, "My friend Diana came to the track to spectate and catch up on old times.   She says she has always wanted to drive a race car.   Do you suppose...?"

They scurried around and got her signed up (this was before the last-minute extra fees), found her some gear that fit, and got her suited up.   I I gave her some basic instruction and sent her out on the track.   While it wasn't the greatest success in the world, she had an exciting time to tell her family about.   I only wish I could have been a fly on the wall when her kids went to school the next day and told their friends, "You'll never guess what my mom did yesterday!"

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

CowDriver wrote:

...one of the three tripped over a safety cone in the middle of Saturday night (he claims no alcohol was involved) and broke his wrist.

Friday night I drank and everything was fine. Saturday night I refrained from drinking and broke my wrist.

Lesson learned: I deeply regret not drinking that night and won't let it happen again.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:

Friday night I drank and everything was fine. Saturday night I refrained from drinking and broke my wrist.

Lesson learned: I deeply regret not drinking that night and won't let it happen again.

Words to live by.

I prefer running with only two drivers, but I'm a well known whore when it comes to getting track time. It's worth being noted that if you're doing long stints and/or multiple stints a day, it's really important to drink a lot of water and eat things like energy bars before you go on track.

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

CowDriver wrote:

We had an occasion where we only had three drivers show up.   Then, as fate would have it, one of the three tripped over a safety cone in the middle of Saturday night (he claims no alcohol was involved) and broke his wrist.   This put us down to two for Sunday, and one was late getting to the track Sunday morning.

Then fate stepped in.   The next-door team's den mother came over and said, "My friend Diana came to the track to spectate and catch up on old times.   She says she has always wanted to drive a race car.   Do you suppose...?"

They scurried around and got her signed up (this was before the last-minute extra fees), found her some gear that fit, and got her suited up.   I I gave her some basic instruction and sent her out on the track.   While it wasn't the greatest success in the world, she had an exciting time to tell her family about.   I only wish I could have been a fly on the wall when her kids went to school the next day and told their friends, "You'll never guess what my mom did yesterday!"

Wasn't she the one who flipped Snipe 1.0??

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Type44 wrote:
CowDriver wrote:

While it wasn't the greatest success in the world, she had an exciting time to tell her family about.   I only wish I could have been a fly on the wall when her kids went to school the next day and told their friends, "You'll never guess what my mom did yesterday!"

Wasn't she the one who flipped Snipe 1.0??

Yep, she was the one.   I don't blame her, however.   I blame the gully that the track owners didn't fill.

The good that came from this was that it forced me to create Snipe 2.0, with MUCH better suspension and tighter steering.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"