Topic: PT Cruiser tow points

Hi, everyone.

My buddies and I are prepping a 2002 PT Cruiser for the BFE GP and we're wondering what other people who have ran PT Cruisers did for the front and rear tow points? We can fabri-cobble something together, but if there's an easy way to set it up, we're open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

2 (edited by meyers0150 2017-03-07 01:24 PM)

Re: PT Cruiser tow points

I do not race a PT cruiser, but built 4 other cars.  Typically we just wrap a tow strap to the bumper and put a bolt through the middle of it to hold.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

Euro spec PT's had a factory tow hook that threaded into a boss on the front bumper.  Not sure if the US ones still have the boss but if it does, should be easy to find a tow hook to thread in.

If it doesn't have 2 doors, 3 pedals, and 5 lug nuts per wheel - It isn't a real race car

I think we might just do that tow strap idea. It seems easy enough to do

I don't think the boss exists for a tow hook on the US bumpers, but I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

We have access to a welder, so we might just weld one on

I've also bought a couple feet of vinyl covered wire/cable, made a couple loops around something in the undercarriage and then a couple wire rope clamps.  Easy peasy.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I just got a length of chain, looped it around the bumper attachment point, and let it hang down.   Crude, but effective.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

I thought this thread was called "PT Cruiser LOW points". And was wondering why it had so few responses.

That's entirely possible, but we've still got a few ideas to run with