1 (edited by Got_VTEC? 2017-03-20 12:42 PM)

Topic: Onboard Video Streaming

Hello everyone!

This may be a pipe dream but:

We're going into our third season and looking to add some kind of on board video streaming to be able to watch the action in the pits.  This looks to be significantly easier said than done(expensive/complicated).  It looks like there are a few different approaches to take:  Some kind of an actual video transmitter, like the FPV systems used on drones; or streaming to your cell phone and utilizing cellular data.  Being that none of us on the team has an unlimited cellular data plan, that approach seems a bit unrealistic (although maybe in the long run its the cheaper option).

We currently just use a GoPro and record video to be able to be viewed after the race.  I'm looking into different FPV type transmitter set ups that can broadcast directly from a GoPro, and then could be streamed to a laptop in the pits.  I understand this isn't the simplest idea with all the obstructions, etc at a race track.

I'm curious if anyone has tried out any of these systems before, or has any knowledge or experience streaming GoPro or other live footage to the pits?

Thanks for the help!

-Team Del Sol Train

Re: Onboard Video Streaming

Got_VTEC? wrote:

Hello everyone!

This may be a pipe dream but:

We're going into our third season and looking to add some kind of on board video streaming to be able to watch the action in the pits.  This looks to be significantly easier said than done(expensive/complicated).  It looks like there are a few different approaches to take:  Some kind of an actual video transmitter, like the FPV systems used on drones; or streaming to your cell phone and utilizing cellular data.  Being that none of us on the team has an unlimited cellular data plan, that approach seems a bit unrealistic (although maybe in the long run its the cheaper option).

We currently just use a GoPro and record video to be able to be viewed after the race.  I'm looking into different FPV type transmitter set ups that can broadcast directly from a GoPro, and then could be streamed to a laptop in the pits.  I understand this isn't the simplest idea with all the obstructions, etc at a race track.

I'm curious if anyone has tried out any of these systems before, or has any knowledge or experience streaming GoPro or other live footage to the pits?

Thanks for the help!

-Team Del Sol Train

I think some folks have used this service to stream from their phone.
If you have the dataplan I guess it's interesting to have your pit crew watch your mistakes on the track as you are making them.

https://live.racecast.me/

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

If you look over at Chump forum there is a complete How To  on it. There is a lot of information on what works and what did not.Just cut and paste it to this post.
Bob Mann
DRVOLKS

The Race cast setup works very well.  I drove with a team using it a couple times.. The last time i used it (last spring i think), we setup my laptop on trackside wifi and had the in-car stream playing on a 36" flat screen TV.  It was very cool.

This weekend at sonoma, you will be able to see for yourself. Several teams will be broadcasting using the race cast setup, and if you visit their website on saturday/sunday you will be able to watch the race live!  Lemons Judge Eric Rood will even be providing some track-side commentary.

Julian.Cordle@racerconnect.com is a fellow Lemons racer and is the Race cast ops manager.. he can help you get all setup.  There are also a few threads on this forum about it.

Mike @ Charnal House Inc.
Like us on Facebook!
Or send us a message at CharnalHouse@gmail.com

We have talked about doing this, but since we only seem to race at Gingerman and Autobahn the lack of track wi-fi has kept us from setting it up.  Somehow standing around a cell phone doesn't seem appealing, when we can walk to the hill at Gingerman or deck at Autobahn and watch it better at this point.

I want this to change, and would love to setup for this... but we need track wi-fi to have a laptop / streaming stick setup with a TV to make it worth it I feel.  Unfortunately none of our wives come to the race, and they aren't going to watch it at home either... and our friends are at the track with us racing!

Statically Indeterminate: #58 '95 Purple S-10 (Flyin' Purple People Eater)
2014: Gingerman x 2 | 2015: Gingerman, Autobahn (24 Hours!) | 2016 Gingerman (April) | 2017 Gingerman (April)

Another glowing recommendation for RaceCast.me

I drove for a team in January that used a GoPro and LiveShell setup. It immediately uploaded all ~8 hours of the race to RaceCast's cloud server in real time and allows us to replay the footage whenever we want. No more fumbling around with full-up SD cards at pit stops and then later uploading everything to YouTube.

In regards to standing around and watching the replay from your phone... look at buying a Mifi router for <$50 and get a pre-paid data only plan from AT&T or Verizon for another $50. The streaming will use ~1G / hour, so if yo plan accordingly you should be fine.

The Pentastar whisperer

7 (edited by Guildenstern 2017-03-23 11:29 AM)

rlhammon wrote:

We have talked about doing this, but since we only seem to race at Gingerman and Autobahn the lack of track wi-fi has kept us from setting it up.  Somehow standing around a cell phone doesn't seem appealing, when we can walk to the hill at Gingerman or deck at Autobahn and watch it better at this point.

I want this to change, and would love to setup for this... but we need track wi-fi to have a laptop / streaming stick setup with a TV to make it worth it I feel.  Unfortunately none of our wives come to the race, and they aren't going to watch it at home either... and our friends are at the track with us racing!

You could do it the dumb way. Cellphone, Airplay to apple TV connected to TV monitor.

Also I'm sure Gingerman or Autobahn would be happy if someone came in and offered to install a robust Wi-Fi system that coveres the entire paddock and track surface for them for free and maintained it themselves.

If you REALY want it to change wink

You could also just tether your laptop to your phone.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

8 (edited by shamwow 2017-03-27 05:39 AM)

For trackside watching, we used a 4G hotspot tethered to a laptop, with the display port wired to a TV.  Actually worked pretty well...

The delay was ~6 seconds from live to the stream.

Mike @ Charnal House Inc.
Like us on Facebook!
Or send us a message at CharnalHouse@gmail.com

Now we have to add in Lemons commentary feed and Black flag radio too

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

For track side viewing we have used UHF analog video links. Zero lag and zero airtime.

They aren't HD but that doesn't really matter in this application.

I'm tempted to try Racecast.me, but cell coverage at CMP is atrocious.  We tried Sprint and AT&T at the last South Fall with no luck, unless you happen to be the one teammate standing in just the right spot where that one magical bar of service resides.  Anybody have better luck with Verizon or another carrier?

TrackGeeks_Chris, what UHF solution do you use?

Captain, For Parts Only (Team FPO)
#111 VW Golf - Currently Orange with tiger stripes (Calvin and Hobbes theme)

This will point you in the direction of what to look for.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/900mhz-1500 … 20tvl.html

GoFastEnthusiast wrote:

I'm tempted to try Racecast.me, but cell coverage at CMP is atrocious.  We tried Sprint and AT&T at the last South Fall with no luck, unless you happen to be the one teammate standing in just the right spot where that one magical bar of service resides.  Anybody have better luck with Verizon or another carrier?

If you really hate your wallet, there's always Satellite Data.

https://www.iridium.com/products/types/Iridium-GO-1

Guildenstern wrote:
GoFastEnthusiast wrote:

If you really hate your wallet, there's always Satellite Data.

https://www.iridium.com/products/types/Iridium-GO-1

Hah, no thanks.  I don't need to stream video that badly.  I'll invest in a UHF system for track to paddock streaming before I drop that kind of money on satellite coverage, although the Iridium satellites are fun to watch fly over head (they are one of the brightest man made objects in orbit.  Their design causes a ton of light from the sun to be reflected back toward the ground, search for "Iridium Flares")

TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:

This will point you in the direction of what to look for.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/900mhz-1500 … 20tvl.html

Thanks, I figured you were referring to FPV setups, but I wasn't sure if you had found a different solution tailored more toward track usage.

Captain, For Parts Only (Team FPO)
#111 VW Golf - Currently Orange with tiger stripes (Calvin and Hobbes theme)

The solution I use is Military in origin.

To tailor it to track usage you just use a bigger receiver antenna. Remember it's line of sight.

And Phill has already outlawed Aerostats and Barrage Balloons.

One of the reasons to use 900mhz range is it penetrates light vegetation better than ghz frequencies.

High gain antennas are still modest in size. You can use a telescoping painters pole to get an antenna ~25' off the ground.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mr-Longarm-P … /100177392

Guildenstern wrote:
rlhammon wrote:

You could do it the dumb way. Cellphone, Airplay to apple TV connected to TV monitor.

Also I'm sure Gingerman or Autobahn would be happy if someone came in and offered to install a robust Wi-Fi system that coveres the entire paddock and track surface for them for free and maintained it themselves.

If you REALY want it to change wink

You could also just tether your laptop to your phone.

I was thinking Gingerman might add track Wi-Fi since they are considering adding "condos" along the 10-11 straight.  Who knows... that whole thing might not even happen.  There are three local rural based companies routing fiber in Southwest Michigan currently... so, access to Gingerman is viable.

In trying to find ways to get the data from the car, I found Freedom Pop.  Compatible phones are unlocked Sprint, but no idea of coverage at various tracks.  They offer Mi-Fi like devices for $30, and allow no contract, monthly service.  500 MB free, and really reasonable pricing from there... $20 / month unlimited.  If this works on track, it would be nice to just turn it on for a month and off again until the next event.  I have no idea if their devices play well with the setups for Racecast.me though.  I suspect one in the vehicle to push data shouldn't be an issue on the free plan, and if needed another in the paddock if you can't hotspot your phone (Verizon sucks for this with my grandfathered unlimited plan).

https://shop.freedompop.com/product/use … TG-AC771SR

https://support.freedompop.com/app/answ … able-plans

Statically Indeterminate: #58 '95 Purple S-10 (Flyin' Purple People Eater)
2014: Gingerman x 2 | 2015: Gingerman, Autobahn (24 Hours!) | 2016 Gingerman (April) | 2017 Gingerman (April)

19 (edited by Guildenstern 2017-03-29 07:49 PM)

"that whole thing might not even happen"
that phrase should be painted in 10 foot tall letters at every track and general aviation airport.

Racecast shouldn't care, if it can make a solid network connection to the GoPro it doesn't matter what name is behind probably the exact same hardware inside the box.

Sprint "THINKS" there's 4G coverage there. Hard to tell, especially when there's 120 teams all using their phones and data.
https://coverage.sprint.com/mycoverage.jsp?id=BO543STC

Edit: Oh and all the Shady BaoFengs with their leaky ass harmonics shitting noise all over the spectrum too.

As mentioned above Racecast is doing this.

I've also considered transmitters like TrackGeeks posted but never actually tried one.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z