1 (edited by tjdumez 2017-04-02 09:12 AM)

Topic: Pickup truck with roof cut off - go or no-go?

I came across this yellow nissan with it's roof cut off. Is this kind of modification considered illegal modification to a crumple zone? Before we go all in by building a roll cage, etc, I need to know if this is an automatic fail from the get go.
Thanks in advance, let me know if there is a different place for me to ask this.

http://imgur.com/sqltHHY

Re: Pickup truck with roof cut off - go or no-go?

That's ok, the roll cage ore than makes up for the roof structure, also make for much easier cage install.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

I'd get an official opinion from someone at Lemons HQ before spending money.

4 (edited by Guildenstern 2017-04-02 10:18 PM)

If the Roof is considered a crumple zone, you have problems.

Flipping over, and or falling anvil type problems.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

And don't you dare touch those sweet graphics!

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

Guildenstern wrote:

? it is a common practice to cut the roof off to weld the cage in. many teams just tack it back in place. I don't see how "flipping/falling out is going to happen considering you are belted in AND if you race a convert you need to have a roof net. If it was me and I wanted the truck, I'd just go to a yard and hack the roof off another, if it was a concern. I like a roof more so for shade. Running around for 2 hours with the sun beating down on your melon is not fun.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Some teams just sawzall off the roof Saturday Night then observe why the minivan that was doing so well on Saturday is suddenly a huge floppy suck machine on Sunday.

If your cage is high and wide enough it will pass, you will have to wear arm restraints as you have no roof.

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Mr.Yuck wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

? it is a common practice to cut the roof off to weld the cage in. many teams just tack it back in place. I don't see how "flipping/falling out is going to happen considering you are belted in AND if you race a convert you need to have a roof net. If it was me and I wanted the truck, I'd just go to a yard and hack the roof off another, if it was a concern. I like a roof more so for shade. Running around for 2 hours with the sun beating down on your melon is not fun.

No need to hack off another - looks like the roof for this one is right there in the bed.

bs

Evil Genius wrote:

If your cage is high and wide enough it will pass, you will have to wear arm restraints as you have no roof.

-John

If I have a convertible with a metal sheet attached to the cage/top of windshield for a roof do I need arm restraints?

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

squidrope wrote:
Evil Genius wrote:

-John

If I have a convertible with a metal sheet attached to the cage/top of windshield for a roof do I need arm restraints?

No, if the top is well attached and large enough.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

bshorey wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

No need to hack off another - looks like the roof for this one is right there in the bed.

bs

you are correct sir...

"get up and get your grandma outta here"