Topic: eBay/Junkyard Turbo for my Opel

What would be a good turbo for my Opel 1.9L? I have three engines and they are all the post-1970 variety with dished pistons. As everyone knows, the solution for a low compression ratio is boost.

I would like to get the power levels in the 120hp range, I think it's 80-85hp stock. I have already converted to EFI using Megasquirt and an Iron Duke TBI. Might fit it with MPFI eventually.

I'm thinking a TD03 or TD04. Any donor recommendations? This is a Lemons Rally car, not the race. Cheap is good, but budget is not strict.

Next Rally Car: An abandoned 1972 Opel GT (Plan-B: My late grandparent's 1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic)
Previous Rally Cars: 1971 Opel Kadett, 1988 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24, 1998 Volvo V90 (5.0L), 1965 Ford Galaxie 500 (turbocharged 351W)

Re: eBay/Junkyard Turbo for my Opel

borg warner K03 easy to find, cheap to own.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

find one of a VW 1.8T      I think we got multiple turbos for $150 each  (you do have to search around for that price though)

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

you could also go with a blow thru carb if you aren't going to crush it with boost. Modifying a carb for boost is probably easier and much cheaper than trying to work out an injection system.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Mr.Yuck wrote:

you could also go with a blow thru carb if you aren't going to crush it with boost. Modifying a carb for boost is probably easier and much cheaper than trying to work out an injection system.

I already did the injection part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NIYG5PDsGU

Next Rally Car: An abandoned 1972 Opel GT (Plan-B: My late grandparent's 1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic)
Previous Rally Cars: 1971 Opel Kadett, 1988 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24, 1998 Volvo V90 (5.0L), 1965 Ford Galaxie 500 (turbocharged 351W)

Red0ktober wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

I already did the injection part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NIYG5PDsGU

carry on the.....lol

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

7 (edited by firegremlin 2017-04-04 11:54 AM)

I'd go with a Garrett GT17 off of a Saab:

- easy to make a lemony flange, it has a round inlet hole so you don't have to oval out the 3/8 steel plate you'll (probably) use
- stock wastegate is set at 3psi so you can always cut out most of the boost if you run into trouble
- it's sized right for that motor, spools faster than older T2's while flowing at least as much
- there are like fifty bazillion of them at every junkyard. Every second saab around here seems to have one
- and every one of those saabs had a good turbo with no shaft play, so they're pretty solid units
- the way it's set up, you can sneak it out of most junkyards with a bunch of tubing, BOV, and boost solenoid for the price of turbo itself
- did I say it spools fast?

K Car Stalker

Sweet, this is good info, thanks.

Also look in newer Volvo's and some Nissan 300Z turbo cars.

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!