Topic: Helmet mods for driver hydration?

Will Lemons HQ have any issue with a hole drilled in my helmet chinbar to allow access for a camelbak hose?  I like to drink and drive.

Re: Helmet mods for driver hydration?

Yes. They very likely will have an issue with it.t.  The external integrity of the helmet is critical for its strength.

Before I got a Stilo with a built in drink tube, I just tucked the camelback tube under a belt and during full course yellow I would just stick it up under my helmet for a sip.  Even with a nomex sock, with the camelback 90 degree mouthpiece, this worked pretty well.  (My wife still uses this method but she doesn't like to drive longer than an hour and a half)

He's a new man now, part of the machine,
His nerves of metal and his blood oil.
The clutch curses, but the gears obey,
His least bidding, and lo, he's away.

We tape them in the helmet with the grade of duc tape known as "maybe too temporary".

Hamsa9 wrote:

Yes. They very likely will have an issue with it.t.  The external integrity of the helmet is critical for its strength.

Before I got a Stilo with a built in drink tube, I just tucked the camelback tube under a belt and during full course yellow I would just stick it up under my helmet for a sip.  Even with a nomex sock, with the camelback 90 degree mouthpiece, this worked pretty well.  (My wife still uses this method but she doesn't like to drive longer than an hour and a half)

What is this built in drink tube you speak of? Got a link?

As I busted out a 2.5 hour stint in AZ last weekend, this is relevant to my interests.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

5 (edited by billybobster 2017-04-10 07:22 PM)

Our drink tubes (not shared mind you - at least not always) hang on a zip tie loop in the center forward-ish of the cabin. Bothers the hell out of you when the car isn't moving. Once you're on track, you never notice it again, except when it's drink time. Is annoying in the in-car video, but meh.

I just feed the drink tube under the crossbar of the helmet, during FCYs or long straights. I need to drink water more often during a stint. Always makes me feel good when I do. Hydrate dagnabbit!

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

Type44 wrote:
Hamsa9 wrote:

What is this built in drink tube you speak of? Got a link?

As I busted out a 2.5 hour stint in AZ last weekend, this is relevant to my interests.

Stilo helmets are not cheap, but they fit my face, are lighter, and can be ordered with built in comms (IMSA wiring with breakaway plug on the left side), hydration (breakaway dri-brake fitting mounted on the right side), and air flow if desired.

http://www.stableenergies.com/images/race_comm.jpg

http://www.stableenergies.com/images/drink_tube.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl4plPGRG8o

Spank,

1.  How do you do it, how do you find the perfect topical video of classic American cinema for every topic!

2.  Why must you live all the way over there on the other coast?  I miss you.

Thanks for the responses.  I'll just use the big hole in the bottom of the helmet that is shared with my neck.

10 (edited by billybobster 2017-04-11 01:29 PM)

Do a Google Image search on "Le Mans helmet 2016 2015" (to get recent examples). Looks like the top ranks of endurance drivers (after us of course) are in some cases drilling holes in the cross bar or feeding the drinks tube through a crossbar vent, sometimes after drilling that. Or using the big neck hole thing.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

My suit (the multi-layered one from the Lemons store) has loops on the top of the shoulders that work great for running the drink tube through, plenty easy to feed it into the bottom of the helmet from there.

-Nathan - Team Captain, Priority Fail Racing
1997 Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine