1 (edited by gunn 2017-06-11 09:38 PM)

Topic: FS: Complete DIY Digital Spread Spectrum FRS Radio setup - SOLD

For Sale is my DIY radio setup suitable for (3) drivers that I used for my first six races. I have since switched to an SMS texting based system which works much better where we race (Sears point has good 2G cellular coverage and none of us liked someone yakking in their ear, and we aren't a serious enough team to have the pit folks constantly monitoring traffic for our drivers). All in, I probably have a few hundred dollars into this setup but that's over the course of a few years of tweaking (we do one race a year and some races we were only able to run for a morning before blowing an engine) so that's not too bad.

SOLD

Pros:
- This system is built around TriSquare eXRS model TSX300 radios -- a proprietary digital spread spectrum (DSS) implementation of FRS radios.
- It's FRS so you will never be "that team" that steps on safety frequences.
- The DSS part means you never have to worry about other teams chatter blocking your ability to send/receive comms with your team (an issue when you have 120+ teams in one course); the radios are already setup on the same security key and "just work".

Cons:
- It's FRS so the transmit power isn't great. While this radio worked great while our "pit" radioman was outside, for the last several races we rented a garage and the building itself acted like one big faraday cage for our radio.
- Getting in/out means you have to unplug two plugs. IF you dont, you will probably tear one of the wires and it's a giant PITA to solder the tiny wires that make up these harnesses (Power and ground for each of the 1/4" and 1/8" plugs). THE DRIVER HEADSETS ARE THE MOST DELICATE PART OF THE SYSTEM.
- Going with my IMSA adapter will help this issue but you will still need to plug/unplug the driver and if you use the harness included with this kit. The fancy IMSA headset I bought to run with another team (NOT included in this package) had good speaker audio volume with this setup but with the IMSA headsets I'm including the mike was great but the audio sounded kind of weak. More tweaking may be needed (maybe an amp circuit on the headphone side?)

Bottom Line:
I tested all of the headsets last night and they work with the caveat about the volume of the IMSA headset. If you are looking for a starter Lemons comm setup and aren't afraid of tweaking/repairing things as needed, this setup is worth considering as it's a setup up from the basic FRS radio setup. If you just want a system that works flawlessly so you can run around the entire paddock acting like you are a NASCAR team and/or fast food workers, I'd suggest that you wait for a team to disband and buy their fancy pants racecar comm setup for several hundred bucks.

If interested, my price is $120 shipped OBO. Email me to arrange for payment via paypal. If you want to check out the setup, you can inspect it at my office in Mountain View, CA or at my home on the evenings/weekend in SF, CA. I'll also ship everything within the continental US.
Regards,
-gunn

Contents of the System:
(1) TriSquare eXRS radio model TSX300 modded to accept external antenna. Runs on (3) AA batteries

(1) TriSquare eXRS radio modded TSX300  to accept external anetenna + cigarette adapter power

(1) TriSquare eXRS Manual: read up on how you can set the key, send text messages, etc. https://www.buytwowayradios.com/Product … manual.pdf

(1) TriSquare battery charger and dead battery. It seems like new batteries can be bought for $10 on ebay but honestly, AAs work just fine.

(2) Antennas in PVC: my buddy calculated the appropriate length of wire inside for the FRS frequency band (he clearly paid more attention in the RF classes than I did.

(1) Car harness. Plugs into the 2.5mm(?) headset jack on the car radio and breaks out the mike, speaker, and plug for "push to talk" button

(1) Push to talk button

(1) 20' set of 1/4" and 1/8" extension cables: used to run from the car harness near the car radio around to a spot convenient to connect/disconnect the driver

(1) IMSA to 1/4" and 1/8" adapter. Allows you to plug in a standard IMSA headset into this system.

(1) 20' female-female COAX cable w/ Male-Male adapter -- spare. I used when trying to mount the pit-side radio antenna on a tower

(1) 10' female-female COAX cable w/ Male-Male adapter. I used this on the car to route the antenna high up at the rear of the car

(1) 6' female-female COAX cable w/ Male-Male adapter. I used this to mount the antenna a little higher up (say on a stick above a camp chair in the pits)

(2) 2.5mm(?) headsets w/ small push to talk microphones. Used for the pit-side radio

(2) 1/4" and 1/8" helmet headset kits for drivers to wear. stick the earbud in the driver's ear and mount the mike at the front of the helmet near the driver's mouth with velcro - BOTH testing working

(1) used IMSA helmet kit. When tested, Microphone works great but speaker sound is a little quiet
(1) new IMSA helmet kit. Still in bag as bought from Rugged Radios.

http://www.gunn.com/forsale/DIYCOMM/1_radios_charger_antenna.jpg
http://www.gunn.com/forsale/DIYCOMM/2_headsetsandadapters.jpg
http://www.gunn.com/forsale/DIYCOMM/3_PTTcloseup.jpg
http://www.gunn.com/forsale/DIYCOMM/4_pitcomms.jpg
http://www.gunn.com/forsale/DIYCOMM/5_carside_harness.jpg
http://www.gunn.com/forsale/DIYCOMM/6_drivercomm1.jpg
http://www.gunn.com/forsale/DIYCOMM/7_drivercomm2.jpg
http://www.gunn.com/forsale/DIYCOMM/8_IMSAadapter.jpg
http://www.gunn.com/forsale/DIYCOMM/9_newIMSA.jpg
http://www.gunn.com/forsale/DIYCOMM/10_usedIMSA.jpg
http://www.gunn.com/forsale/DIYCOMM/11_setupbagged.jpg

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Bosozoku Texino Thunderbird (1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing)

2 (edited by Mcloed 2017-04-12 12:36 PM)

Re: FS: Complete DIY Digital Spread Spectrum FRS Radio setup - SOLD

gunn wrote:

SMS texting based system

I want to know more about this.

Mock Grass Racing                                                                     Slower Traffic, Keep Right
2016 - 2 Lemons races, and Killed the Car at WRL  2015 - 4 Races, finished all   
2014 - Barber, Blew 2 Engines; CMP, Class C winner; CMP, FInished
2013 - CMP, Blew engine; CMP, Engine Overheated  2012 - CMP, FInished; CMP, Blew Engine

Mcloed wrote:
gunn wrote:

SMS texting based system

I want to know more about this.

My DIYComm V2 included:
- Arduino
- 2G Baseband modem: used TING (a tmobile MVNO b/c they have really low rates for texting only and Tmobile is the last company with 2G GSM still deployed in US. Total cost was $17 all-in for a single month of service for SIM + fees + taxes.)
- A few 12V->USB adapters (the 2G baseband module sucks a ton a current during boot up).
- Fast and Furious style button on my NRG steering wheel.
- Light mounted on steering column in front of the driver
- When the driver pushed the button, a text message would go to all three of our phones.
- We could recall the driver by sending a text to the TBIRD. Tbird would authenticate it came from us and turn the light on. Confirmation text would be returned to pitcrew so we know the car received the message.
- We could also turn the light OFF. confirmation will be returned to pit crew so we know the car received the message.

Lessons Learned:
- There is no need to acknowledge to the driver that the message was received. if the driver wants to come in, he's coming in.
- It's also stupid to put the button on the wheel... or make it a button at all. Two times during the "race", the driver accidentally hit the button, we acknowledged, the driver would see the light and thought the PIT wanted him to come in so he came in unnecessarily. Whoops.
- Now, when the SMS message came in, we also didn't know WHY the driver wanted to come in (or if he wanted to come in at all). We pretty much only knew this when we saw the car pitting from the garage OR another team told us what's going on (like when we sheared off our wheel studs and lost a wheel).

DIYComm ver 2.5:
- Replaced buttons with two switches mounted ABOVE the driver where the sun visor used to be (easy to reach and doesn't need to look away).
- Pitcrew will NOT make any acknowledgement messages. Pitcrew will only turn the light on when WE want him to return.
- Switches vs button make the movement intentional. This also frees up the F&F style button for something else (not sure yet)
- Right switch means pit for new driver/fuel (one pitcrew member will be ready in a racing suit)
- Left switch means pit for repairs (one pitcrew member will be ready in a repair suit)
- Both switches means OMG! something bad must be replaced (all pitcrew goes into repair suit and starts running around wondering WTF the driver did to my car)

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Bosozoku Texino Thunderbird (1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing)

So your Texting system is basicly just some lights.  I was thinking that you would have a scrolling text display for the driver.  more of a one way from the crew to driver.  But I do like that the button will alert the whole team that something is up with the car.  Or more of a hey y'all watch this.

Mock Grass Racing                                                                     Slower Traffic, Keep Right
2013 - CMP, Blew engine; CMP, Engine Overheated  2012 - CMP, FInished; CMP, Blew Engine

Those microcontrollers are programmable. You can put in a display and tweak the software to do what you want but the bones for doing that is there.

6 (edited by gunn 2017-04-13 09:29 AM)

TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:

Those microcontrollers are programmable. You can put in a display and tweak the software to do what you want but the bones for doing that is there.

On the DIY Comm Setup I have for sale
Indeed TrackGeeks_Chris is right. If you look in the manual, you will see that you can preprogram 80character messages for transmission. The "bones" to extend this system are indeed there.
https://www.buytwowayradios.com/Product … manual.pdf

On my current Arduino SMS system
You're right mcloed, its just a few flashing lights (actually just one). The idea here was to pare down the communication between the driver and the pits to the minimum necessary info. I thought one bit of data was enough (returning or not) but apparently you need one more bit of info than that and if you have 2 switches, four possible states are possible (aka off + 3 different return conditions).
If you want to yak to the driver, buy a voice comm system.

Alternative solution
If you really want to distract the driver by letting him write his own text messages -- which we all know is safe enough on the streets so this sounds like a fantastic idea for the track, just mount a smartphone next to the driver.

gunn wrote:

Alternative solution
If you really want to distract the driver by letting him write his own text messages -- which we all know is safe enough on the streets so this sounds like a fantastic idea for the track, just mount a smartphone next to the driver.

The problem with texting is the typing on the keyboard with those gloves on.  Maybe a kids keyboard with those extra large keys would help.
Something like this. https://www.fractuslearning.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/hipstreet_kids_keyboard-740x267.jpg
The color contrast could help too.

But actually I was thinking a large lcd screen that the crew could send text to the driver, maybe lap times, or what ever.  and if you wanted the driver to talk back maybe just some buttons that would be yes or no.  Or they could have to meanings.  So no button could be Help if the driver starts the talking.

Since its programmable you can have a couple of big buttons with canned messages in the car. Button A is "coming in next lap". Button B - "Got to pee real bad", Button C - "Car on fire, again".

9 (edited by gunn 2017-04-13 01:57 PM)

Mcloed wrote:

But actually I was thinking a large lcd screen that the crew could send text to the driver, maybe lap times, or what ever.  and if you wanted the driver to talk back maybe just some buttons that would be yes or no.  Or they could have to meanings.  So no button could be Help if the driver starts the talking.

Since we are already off in the sticks compared to my original post: would you really want to communicate lap times to your driver?

At least here in CA, there are enough drivers enfused with red mist on the track that telling YOUR driver that he's just 5 sec off the lead person or half a lap down from the car ahead seems like fine way to get your driver to drive your car beyond his capabilities and into a wall and/or another car. It happens often enough already.

I've always thought that maybe the best way to improve our lap times would be to force everyone on the team to do endurance exercises daily for 2-3 months before the race (and maybe install a massive fuel cell in the car). On the plus side, that might also help with our race weight reduction.

+1

We found that having a trackmate on the dash in view of the driver did more harm than good. We decided to communicate things like general pace and other motivational information to the driver over the radio.

Sorry for leading this off into the weeds.

TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:

+1

We found that having a trackmate on the dash in view of the driver did more harm than good. We decided to communicate things like general pace and other motivational information to the driver over the radio.

No worries, the more you post, the more someone new might see my listing and decide they really, really need to have this comm system smile
I'm open to offers here (ex: 17x8 Mustang wheels)

I sent you a note off the forum.

Do you sell only the full pack, or i can buy some of them?

mikethetiger wrote:

Do you sell only the full pack, or i can buy some of them?

Im selling everything as a full package. Please feel free email me with an offer.

I have my own set of unreliable radios, not sure I want more semi-reliable ones and I'm intrigued by the arduino approach, am working on arduino based gauges for the next build so your idea would dovetail nicely with that.  But, I also have 11 17x8 Mustang GT wheels and don't really need that many.  So I guess I'm sorta interested if nothing else comes to fruition. 

Boy did that come out wishy-washy.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita" 
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)
1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless)
1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites) (Sold -> Houston.  Gone and forgotten)

16 (edited by gunn 2017-04-14 10:04 AM)

cheseroo wrote:

I have my own set of unreliable radios, not sure I want more semi-reliable ones and I'm intrigued by the arduino approach, am working on arduino based gauges for the next build so your idea would dovetail nicely with that.  But, I also have 11 17x8 Mustang GT wheels and don't really need that many.  So I guess I'm sorta interested if nothing else comes to fruition. 

Boy did that come out wishy-washy.

Sent PM

BTW, I'm open to offers on my V1 radio setup. smile

TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:

+1

Yes, this is more like what i was meaning.  I know there are some times that I would like to tell drivers to slow down a little bit because they aren't going to be able to pass the next car before the end of the day.  and just keep the car on the track.

18 (edited by gunn 2017-04-14 12:10 PM)

Mcloed wrote:
TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:

+1

Yes, this is more like what i was meaning.  I know there are some times that I would like to tell drivers to slow down a little bit because they aren't going to be able to pass the next car before the end of the day.  and just keep the car on the track.

I have car horn mounted inside my tbird to let the driver know when the oil/coolant temps are over a certain value.
They are currently triggered by the Auberins gauge directly but my earlier version was controlled by another arduino.
You can see it in this pic from 2014; the arduino lived in the Sega Dreamcast mounted behind the dash panel.
http://www.gunn.com/images/tbirdinterior_sep2014_1.jpg

It wouldn't be too hard to setup a similar relay+horn setup to "gently" inform your driver to stop driving like a prick. Or, just setup a another light (like a blinky yellow) triggered by another incoming SMS commend.

-g

Interested in the radios!
Are they still available?
Jack 408 510-1934