Topic: Steering Wheel Shaft Bearing

I am having a problem making a steering wheel bearing setup for my 91 Volvo 240.  My plan was to buy a sleeve bearing off of mcmaster carr and hold it in with a shaft collar of some type.  However the Volvo shaft is 36mm in diameter and Mcmaster does not sell any bearing in 36mm, 35mm yes 40mm yes, 36 no.   My question is around what to do, currently I have two options,

1. I think I found some 36mm sleeve bearings on ebay, but the only shaft collar that holds them is 1215 steel and the internet says that is hard to weld. I am not sure if my 140A Lincoln can handle it. 

2. The other option is to buy some tube that is slightly oversized, fit it around the steering column and pack the inside with grease. I am not sure if that would work or just make a mess.

Do any of you have any good ideas?

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

Re: Steering Wheel Shaft Bearing

Can you make a bushing out of POM (Delrin) or PTFE?

I have a small machine lathe and I think I have some 1 1/2" Delrin stock laying around .  I'm in Granby.  Contact me offline, maybe I could help.

Steve

I was able to get a steering shaft bearing from these guys.  http://www.vxb.com/  But they are local to me so you might try a bearing supplier closer to you.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Is there a reason you're keeping the stock column?

Might be a little too whacky for your purposes, but after we lost a near unobtainium bearing in our VW steering column, I hacked the whole thing out and replaced it with a bit of 3/4" DOM and two 3/4" heim joints.  Added bonus of being able to put the steering wheel wherever you want it.

-Nathan - Team Captain, Priority Fail Racing
1997 Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine

the shaolin wrote:

Might be a little too whacky for your purposes, but after we lost a near unobtainium bearing in our VW steering column, I hacked the whole thing out and replaced it with a bit of 3/4" DOM and two 3/4" heim joints.  Added bonus of being able to put the steering wheel wherever you want it.

And you are guaranteed to fail tech if anyone looks at it. A collapsible column is a must. DIY in this area is not allowed.

Not sure what exactly yore trying to do, not sure if this will be helpful or not.  1 7/16 is .020" larger than 36mm.  If you get a flange mount bearing with set screws you can easily make a mount for it. I don't think you'd feel the .020 offset  turning the wheel.

Other option is to get a 35mm bushing and ream / bore / drill it out to 36mm.  If you go this route consider making it an H shape (kind of double flanged) to keep it captured in the split collar. You can find weldable split collars if you dig a bit.

Just don't forget about the collapsible part of the rules as you're doing this.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

Delrin is a great idea that I didn't think of. Snuffy I will take you up on your offer in a few weeks after the NJMP race.

Currently the column just goes through a hole in a plate attached to the dash bar. This works well enough. There is some slop side to side but it is pretty minimal. My issue is that the edge of the plate is wearing into the column and I want to eliminate that.

I think the best course of action is the delrin with a weldable shaft collar. That will be the best. It's just not happening this weekend before NJMP. Thanks for the input everyone.

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:
the shaolin wrote:

And you are guaranteed to fail tech if anyone looks at it. A collapsible column is a must. DIY in this area is not allowed.

Car has passed tech three times since the conversion.   I cut off the stock column above the collapsible bit and welded that onto my DOM.

-Nathan - Team Captain, Priority Fail Racing
1997 Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine