Topic: Please convince me this is a bad idea.

So...I have this 1995 Volvo 960 wagon, with a perfectly functional B6304S straight-six and AW-30 transmission, and a surprisingly un-Dean of the College of History-like 3.73 or 4.10 rear ratio. I had had this idea before that I wanted to swap a 3800 from a Camero or a FIREBIRD and/or T-5 into it, then the Charnal House-affiliated 1UZ-swapped Lincoln LS drift car project got into my head, then I found a running '92 LS400 on Craigslist for $400 a few hours away. Spank told me at GingerMan that I should just cage it and race it as is...but part of me is also saying that I really can't run a bone-stock, college-professor grade black Volvo wagon in my first race as a team captain. Please help me find a sensical balance.

Re: Please convince me this is a bad idea.

Just turn it into an exaggerated college man car

Racing cars is for rookies. Racing crapcans takes balls.

If you'd like to have a lot of time on track, the best option is likely to cage it and run as-is.

Swapping from the i6 to the v8 is a ridiculous amount of added complexity when there's already way too much to do before your first race.  You have a dozen other things to figure out before worrying about that extra 50hp. 

Cage it.  Run as-is.  Learn the car, the series,and how to drive it.  Then you can do whatever stupid engine swap you want next offseason and really appreciate the difference.

-Nathan - Team Captain, Priority Fail Racing
1997 Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine

^ +1

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Step 1: Install this: http://cdn.racerpartswholesale.com/images/large/RPW-28606.jpg

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/prod … isconnects

the shaolin wrote:

If you'd like to have a lot of time on track, the best option is likely to cage it and run as-is.

Swapping from the i6 to the v8 is a ridiculous amount of added complexity when there's already way too much to do before your first race.  You have a dozen other things to figure out before worrying about that extra 50hp. 

Cage it.  Run as-is.  Learn the car, the series,and how to drive it.  Then you can do whatever stupid engine swap you want next offseason and really appreciate the difference.

Thank you.

That said (and I agree), that is a capacious engine bay.  It is capable (later) of accommodating a SUPERCHARGED 3800 and T5 from Camero 3800...just saying.  Does not change the cage design when you get tire of the Aw30 going into limp home mode.

As Mike mentioned, Engine swaps can always come later, get it legal and get a team together and when you all can drive better than the car look for more HP.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Thanks all for the dissuasion and advice. The idea of doing such a straight-into-the-Lake-Baikal-deep-deep-end swap was not so much for the speed or notoriety as it was a way to keep my mind and attention occupied for a while more than just the basics could. As much as the idea of a Japanese V8 swap opens up an amazing amount of theme potential, I'll put that particular idea on the back burner for now. The Buick V6 swap is still on the table, however.

I don't know left coast guys, but from the  right coast, talk to Dave Morrow as well as the TR7 guys at 3 Pedal Mafia about 3800 swaps.  You'll get the full spectrum of what to do and NOT do.

Dave has put 3800's in 3 or 4 different cars.... The TR7 boys have put 3 or 4 different 3800's in the car. smile

Blackmaven MotorSports -  Supporting the United Leukodystrophy Foundation - www.ulf.org
FOR SALE! '68 Ford Cortina - BUY ME HERE!
'04 Mitsu in the works
BlackmavenMotorsports on Facebook

So when has something being universally acknowledged to be a bad idea ever been a reason for not doing it, especially in Lemons?

^^^^+1   He's got a point.

I think almost any bad idea is a good idea in Lemons after the one crucial step of getting the car to the track has been met.

Low Road Racing:  Stylemaster/Mustang II/Sunbird/Spirit AMX

We will not compromise our morals and build anything but a class C car.
"You take the high road, we'll take the low."

It will be hard enough to get the car ready the first time.

Don't be too concerned about performance until you have reasonable reliability.

Not to worry, you will have a great time, and as has been pointed out, you stand a much better chance of lots of track time with the stock setup.

Good luck.

Maximum Leader, Ruler for Life,
Dirty Rotten Cheating Bastards Racing