1 (edited by johnvukovich 2017-04-29 11:30 AM)

Topic: Setting Low Goals and Failing To Acheive Them.

Story of my life.  Sometimes....
Some co-workers (well, FORMER co-workers - but I'll get to that later) and I decided to buy a Crown Vic police car and go Lemons racing!  That was back in 2015 just as the bottom was falling out of the Oil & Gas & Refinery industry here in south Louisiana.  Enjoy those low gas prices?  So did we!  Until we realized that those same refineries were cancelling engineering & construction contracts and designers and engineers like us would begin losing our jobs one by one  Sometimes by the dozens.  We, of course, remained friends even though we were no longer officially "co-workers".  Interest in having a "racing team" was fading from amongst us, but we pressed on with lightening the car and doing whatever upgrades (keeping an eye on SAFETY FIRST, of course!) that we could afford.  We realigned our budget and began drinking PBR's when we had pizza in the shop instead of drinking Sam Adams and Abita Amber.  But we couldn't find any other extravagant items in the budget after that, so we really slowed down on the car.
Do you recall the famous line from "Young Frankenstein" when Igor says to Dr. Frankenstein "Well, it could be worse..." and he asks "How?" and Igor answers "It could be raining!" and you hear the thunder and it starts to pour?  In August 2016, it began to rain here in south Louisiana.  A lot.  Up to the door knob on our team leader's house and his shop.  Up to the door handles on the Crown Vic.  Once that we released the dove and it came back with a green twig, we re-emerged and started the massive cleanup and started rebuilding our homes.  The Crown Vic eventually dried itself out in the Louisiana sunshine, but that's where it sits.  We tinkered with it for an afternoon but once we removed the spark plugs to see if the engine would turn over, we realized that the flood waters had also ruined the starter and it wouldn't turn over. 
Ordinarily we're not quitters, but there are a few too many other things on our plates at the moment and some of us are still living in "under renovation" houses.  So, look on the Baton Rouge, Louisiana Craigslist for our "24 Hours of Lemons Race Car" ad.  Now available here:  https://batonrouge.craigslist.org/cto/6108026871.html
We'll be back.  Someday.  We hope.  Maybe not with a V-8 RWD car, but as Bluto said in "Animal House"... "It's not over until WE say it's over!  Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?  No!"
Trying to post an ad (with a link to the Craigslist ad, but the forums require 2 new posts, so....
This was #2.  (Although my writing stinks sometimes, this was figuratively, not literally, of course.)

Re: Setting Low Goals and Failing To Acheive Them.

good luck with the sale, and with life in general.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Thank you! 

Well, the gods must be at least moderately amused with us, as the car is now residing somewhere in / near the Houston TX area, AND I've found a part time job at a local engineering company.  On a whim I decided to run the ad on the Houston TX craigslist and received a surprising number of responses.  Well... four.  But surprised that anyone was interested in a flooded car.  But the guys who came over to Baton Rouge agreed that the Corbeau seat and the roll cage where worth the price even if they had to pull the engine apart or replace it with another. 

You wouldn't want to part with the Pinto Squire wagon, would you?  I had a 74 Dodge Monaco that I converted into a reasonably accurate "Bluesmobile" and had a blast with it for over 12 years (it even served as my daily driver all day / every day rain / shine for about 10 years when I lived in Virginia!).  It's now in Chicago (where else!?!?) enjoying more service as a parade / event car.  Although, giving it more careful thought...  Riding around dressed as Nazi's with "White Power" stickers on a Pinto might not be the best idea in this climate.

johnvukovich wrote:

Although, giving it more careful thought...  Riding around dressed as Nazi's with "White Power" stickers on a Pinto might not be the best idea in this climate.

Careful! Do that, you might end up with job offers in DC.

Yes, I signed up and created a new account, just to be a smartass.

In all seriousness, I'm glad that the rains have stopped falling in your life, literally and figuratively. Good luck!

RandolphCarter wrote:
johnvukovich wrote:

Although, giving it more careful thought...  Riding around dressed as Nazi's with "White Power" stickers on a Pinto might not be the best idea in this climate.

Careful! Do that, you might end up with job offers in DC.

Yes, I signed up and created a new account, just to be a smartass.

In all seriousness, I'm glad that the rains have stopped falling in your life, literally and figuratively. Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuIFqFVE_es

You might want to check out this video before you build a Blues Brother's car......

I was not thrilled that they remotely associated my NON-WAGON wrong year, wrong color LeMon's Pinto to the one in that movie.

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2